Biographical Non-Fiction posted December 10, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Pastor Lim, my neighbor- imprisoned for life in North Korea

Freedom Of Speech - 240 words

by Dawn Munro


We talk a good fight about freedom of speech, even take it for granted, but here is a man who walked the walk of the righteous, and is now condemned to dig holes in an orchard eight hours a day, six days a week for the rest of his life.

How much do we really believe in what we write, in the conversations we have about atrocities taking place in other parts of the world?

Today is Human Rights Day. On December 10, 1948, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. History was made that day. For the first time ever, the international community agreed to a set of fundamental rights and freedoms for all.


Pastor Lim photo CNN s Pastor Lim in Toronto church_zpsw1fncz2a.jpg

Pastor Hyeon Soo Lim, and others like him, need our help.

It's time to do a little walking ourselves. Here is a humble Reverend, wishing only to come to the aid of the oppressed, now forced to meekly bow to his captors and a government known globally for its cruelty, away from his family, his church, and his life in Canada.

We might be able to do little, but a signature on a petition can make a difference. The Canadian government is doing its part--let's do ours by keeping the pressure on those officials. When something is not directly in front of the public, it's easy enough to overlook it.

Today is Human Rights Day--sign the petition at Change.org. Bring Lim home.

Pastor Hyeon Soo Lim photo CNN s Pastor Lim_zpszvicyoh6.jpg



Recognized


This story was all over the news for awhile - CNN was granted an interview, but like all media stories, it's faded now. Our Prime Minister is working to bring him home, but a petition is circulating through Change.org today, and every signature makes a difference. I believe the North Korean government only granted the interview to make it appear that they were co-operating with the global community. This man is literally my neighbor; lives in Toronto/Mississauga.

Video courtesy of YouTube.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dawn Munro All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dawn Munro has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.