General Fiction posted December 7, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Will he win?

Him

by Heather Knight


I'm afraid of him. Terrified. Petrified.

We have never met, but I've heard of the terrible things he can do and I know he's cruel to the extreme.

Sometimes I forget about him for long periods of time, but then one day, I'm walking down a sunny street and thoughts of him invade my head. Just like that. Uninvited, unbidden.

He knows how to suck all happiness out of me, even from a distance. From his vantage point, he watches me. Sometimes, he even whispers in my ear.

'I'll eventually win,' he says. His voice is strident and harsh and reminds me of a raven. His breath on my neck is colder than a snowstorm.

I can imagine his touch, I'm sure his hands are clammy and slippery like insidious snakes.

On bad days, I dream of him. I see him coming near and laughing a hollow laugh when he notices the terror in my eyes. When I wake up, I'm covered in sweat, shaky and broken.

On good days, I defy him. I tell him that he's not important. That what matters is the life I live every day. The many things I've accomplished. All the moments I've enjoyed. All the flowers I've seen.

I tell him he's nothing. Just a vague threat in the future. An overused word. Death.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.