Fantasy Fiction posted December 5, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
short story

Bigfoot's Christmas

by mermaids


The scent of roasting marsh mellows floats through the big ape's cave. Little Kong hums Jingle Bells as Hairyfoot stares at the elusive North American primate. Bigfoot grunts at his small, furry holiday visitor. The grey and white Persian cat forms a scowl on his face. Little Kong continues his humming of holiday tunes.

"Okay, my fluffy Christmas eve friend. What's the problem now. It is Christmas Eve. Enjoy yourself."

"I do not understand how you can be so happy when my cousins are in the shelter and are on death row!"

Little Kong turns away from his marsh mellow roasting. "What! Death row" Who's on death row?!"

Hairyfoot sits up sternly.

"While we are warm, eating goodies, singing carols and admiring a beautifully decorated tree, my
relatives in the shelter are alone!"

Bigfoot lets out another groan. "You are a purebred Persian. I know for a fact, none of your relatives are in a shelter!"

"All cats are my relatives and the shelter near the forest has about twenty of them. In darkness, they sit. No Christmas treats or company tonight". The fluffy cat wipes a tear.

Bigfoot ambles to the front of the cave. "Follow me, both of you."

Little Kong and Hairyfoot follow their large friend to the edge of the forest. Little Kong picks the lock to the shelter door and the three friends walk in. About twenty cats are in cages, peeking out at the trio of strangers. All of them are black cats with the exception of a rotund tiger tabby.
Bigfoot finds a key and releases all of the kitties.

Bigfoot is in the lead and the cats follow him, Hairyfoot in the middle with Little Kong at the rear. The unusual parade heads to Bigfoot's cave. A snowy owl watches in awe as do other forest creatures. A squirrel chews an acorn as a cardinal sings with joy.

The cats and the three friends arrive at the cave. Bigfoot gives the cats fresh fish for dinner. Little Kong returns to roasting marsh mellows. The cats, Bigfoot, Hairyfoot and Little Kong break into song. The night air is filled with music and the aroma of sugar.

Midnight arrives and Bigfoot's eyes expand. He does not believe what he sees. All of the black cats develop wings and a halo. A female with yellow eyes speaks. "You do not abandon the angels on the most important day of the year. Merry Christmas you big ape!"

All the black cats fly off into the starry sky. The tiger tabby sits by Bigfoot's feet, purring loudly.

Bigfoot shakes his head. "I guess you are meant to live with me."

The big ape bends down and scratches behind his new friend's ears.

"I had no idea you are related to angels, Hairyfoot. This is a special Christmas."

Hairyfoot rubs against Bigfoot's leg. " There is much you do not know about me, Bigfoot. We never know where the angels are".

All four creatures go outside and look at the night sky full of stars. Bigfoot feels he has not seen the last of the feline angels.



Recognized


One never knows where the angels may show up. I have a poem in my portfolio about Bigfoot, Hairyfoot and Little Kong. I thought a Bigfoot Christmas story was due.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. mermaids All rights reserved.
mermaids has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.