Essay Non-Fiction posted December 2, 2016 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What makes the Christmas season so special?

A chapter in the book Family Poems and Stories 2010-2017

Christmas is . . .

by Mustang Patty


I just finished watching 'An Affair to Remember,' and as the tears dried, I thought about how the movie is classified as a Christmas movie. Is there really a Christmas theme? Or, is there just a Christmas tree and Christmas decorations in the frame?

As an avid watcher of Christmas movies, these questions occur to me often. What makes a movie a 'Christmas movie?' Does there need to be a Santa theme; a Christian theme or notion? Some of the movies may have had their opening weekend during those precious cinematic weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They feature either a Christmas tree, some shiny decorations, or a shot of Rockefeller Center's skating rink, and call it good. Rarely do these films feature the Christmas spirit. Just look at the 'Die Hard' franchise.

No, it must be something more. I own over fifty Christmas movies on DVD, and each of them has a message of hope. Why then do they take place during the Christmas season?

Most of the movies I enjoy the best revolve around the redemption of a character. Like Scrooge, they come to realize that there is something missing in their lives. It could be family or more meaning in their day to day life, but for the most part, the key ingredient is hope. Hope for a better and more meaningful life; hope for a wonderful future.

I finally realized the central theme in all the 'Christmas movies,' that I enjoy the most is love. The Hallmark channel has enough Christmas love stories to play from November 1st to December 31st. What is the connection between Christmas and love?

The most logical explanation is rooted in a belief in Christ. He came to earth as a baby to live as a man. His father, God, sent Him in an act of divine love. A love that was meant to save us all. A belief system centered on the Christ child is the key to Heaven.

But not everyone believes in Christ, or even God. The appeal of Christmas movies must be based on something else. While not everyone watches the amount of Christmas movies that I do, most people will watch one or two of their favorites. Some people are attracted to the story line of 'A Christmas Carol,' while others are drawn to 'it's a Wonderful Life.' Neither of these movies talk about Christian beliefs, but they both revere Christmas traditions.

Did you ever notice the feeling in the air around Christmas time? People tend to smile more. There are more doors being held open as you come and go. People will let customers with one or two items go ahead of them in the check-out lines at the grocery stores. There are more random acts of kindness around holidays, and charitable giving is at its peak. Could it be that Christmas brings out love for our fellow men?

I think the obvious answer to these questions is that Christmas is love. No matter what your beliefs are, no matter how you feel about buying presents or decorating a tree, there is still a kernel of hope in your heart as you watch a movie or listen to the myriad of Christmas songs played on radio stations. That kernel of hope is the bud of love.

May this Christmas season find your heart blossoming with the blessings of the season.






The Christmas season is my favorite time of year. I find myself humming more, and as excited as a child at the prospect of family gatherings, decorating, and PRESENTS!!

But deep in my heart, I know there is a deeper meaning to the holiday. I believe that Christmas is LOVE.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.