Western Fiction posted December 1, 2016 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Helga needs help

A chapter in the book Tin Cup

High On The Mountain

by Delahay


Synopsis: Jess Harper, a Civil War vet,was traveling through the west trying to make a life for himself after the war. Jess was robbed by three traveling companions. He found them, killed two, retrieved his possessions, then let the third one, Charlie, leave. Charlie later caught up with Jess, shot him in the back, then aimed a gun at him as he was lying on the ground. Jess was saved by a settler, Abe Klein, and his daughter Helga. While recovering with the Kleins, Jess fell for and marries Helga. When Helga became pregnant, Abe and Jess tried to find someone to help Helga with the baby. The person they found did not work out well so Helga stated she would find someone on her own. She disappeared one morning and was gone for most of the day before returning with an old Native woman who takes charge of preparing for the birth. one morning Early Jess is awakened by screaming. Helga is in labor. After a very long and tense day, Helga delivers a healthy baby girl.

 

I soon realized that I should have tried to get as much sleep as possible while I still could. It became quite elusive in a very short time. Who knew such a small creature could make so much noise? When I said as much to Helga, who looked as sleep deprived as I did, she said rather sharply,

“Well how else is she supposedto let us know something is wrong or that she needs something? It's not like she can talk.”

I decided it would be better to just keep such observations to myself. After a few tense days, as everyone's nerves seemed to stretch tighter, I noticed that Oota was looking more worried than tired. Her English may have been better than my mastery of her language, but conversations were still a mite garbled. She pulled me out of the cabin and and spoke in a hushed voice.

“Miss Heel-ga, too hot. Sick, needs medicine.”

Her words struck terror in my heart. I'd heard of childbed fever, my Aunt died from it when I was a boy. Since then I'd heard of many other women who died of fever after giving birth.

I was pulled from my thoughts by Oota pulling on my sleeve.

“Mr. Jess must get medicine. Go high up mountain. Get this plant.”

She showed me a crude drawing she had made on a piece of bark. I was surprised to actually recognize the plant. My mother called it feverwort and used it for many ailments. Oota also said,

“I find trees by stream, boil bark for medicine. Need snow or ice too if you find.”

I realized she was talking about the willow trees that grew by the stream. That was another thing I recalled my mother using. She would make a tea from willow bark any time someone was feverish. I remembered how terrible it tasted.

I ran inside to see Helga before I left. She was sleeping restlessly so I kissed her forehead. She felt like she was on fire. I ran outside to saddle my horse and set off as fast as I could. I'd seen a patch of the plants Oota showed me near the timberline the last time I went up the mountain to hunt for deer. I'd have to go a little higher if I wanted to find snow or ice. I saw Abe standing on the porch wringing his hands as I rode away. He looked much older to me somehow.

After about an hour's ride I found the patch of feverwort. I had no idea how much was needed so I grabbed as much as I could stuff in a bag. I had to ride another four hours to reach the snowline. I compacted it as much as I could and wrapped it in pieces of sheepskin before putting it in my saddlebags. I'd put some straw in the bags before I left and hoped it would help keep the snow from melting before I got back. I also hoped the clouds hiding the sun and the shade of the trees would help. My horse was looking a little tuckered by this time but I didn't have time to give him a rest. I had no idea how long I had before the snow melted. Saddlebags full of water wouldn't be very useful. At least going down the mountain would be a lot easier than going up.



 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Delahay All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Delahay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.