General Fiction posted November 26, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A fall to the depths

Losing James

by Yvon

James Tolberg was my friend for many years. We grew up in the same neighborhood, had the same friends and played the same sports together. That was until James became, Jimmy. Jimmy was a self indulgent character who would rip off anyone to feed his insatiable, crack habit. He never started his downfall with crack. First it was pot and booze, then snorting coke and finally BANG! Someone offered a better way to do his favorite drug.

The slide was fast and treacherous. With winding roads that led only downward. Jimmy had hit the bottom many times in his effort to find the supreme high. Then, one day he crashed and slammed into the depths of his soul. This was familiar territory but something had changed. Something revealed itself to him. A voice beckoned from behind what appeared to be a door. He had never noticed a door there before. Reservations flooded his mind. 'What is this all about? What have I done!' And still the voice beckoned.

The pull was strong and the crack burned brighter in his pipe, filling his lungs with smoke and his mind with dread. Jimmy ranted on about this hellish sound whispering in his ears. 'It was the devil,' he said. 'The devil called me!'

I was taken a back as he related this to me. I saw a demon appear on his face and knew he was telling the truth. Something had possessed him. It was also being emitted from some dark hole in his soul. I turned from him and ran as to not be overwhelmed by the creature I saw that overshadowed Jimmy.

The last time I saw him there was no peace in Jimmy's soul. He rattled around in his own brain, with emotions flying hither and there. His intellect racing at a bizarre rate could not cover the distance that was needed to unshackle his demented mind.

My once good friend, James, had become Jimmy's tortured soul.



A Door writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that somehow includes the sentence: He had never noticed a door there before. Do not change the sentence.


This is a work of fiction. But from what I have witnessed along this path of life, it could be true!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Yvon All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Yvon has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.