Commentary and Philosophy Flash Fiction posted November 19, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Saturday detentions are like prisons.

Detention

by RodG

The Prisoner Contest Winner 

Monitoring Saturday detentions is part of the job.  I'm Dean of Boys.

7:58.  Twelve file into the dungeon.  Eight sharp I slam shut the door.  I read their names.  All here.

"Sit!  At least one desk from your neighbor.  Back packs on the floor."

They obey.  Too tired to grumble.

"Open packs.  Pull out books.  No food!"

All but one obeys.

"Got none," he sneers.

I pounce.  I'm in his face.

"Do now."  I slam Ordeal by Hunger on his desk.

"Read or study.  No sleeping."

They do . . . for four LONG hours.

 I think, "Who's prisoner, them or me?"


Writing Prompt
In 100 words, or less, write a short story--not necessarily a flash-fiction, though it could be--on the theme/subject/topic of 'prisoner'. It could be literal or metaphoric.

The Prisoner
Contest Winner


Picture is courtesy of Google images.

In many high schools Saturday detention is common--and dreaded. Students can earn a detention for a variety of reasons, but usually for unmannerly conduct in the classroom. Many teachers "volunteer" to monitor them (for overtime pay), but often the burden of responsibility falls to the Dean of Boys.

"Ordeal by Hunger" is a classic written about the Donner Party, pioneers in the 1840s who got stuck in the Sierras and nearly starved. This scene is from a novel where the Dean was once a history teacher.

100 words exactly. Apple Pages
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.