General Fiction posted November 18, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I'm so sorry

Wandering Eye

by Heather Knight

Dear John,

I bet I'm the last person you expected to hear from. I don't blame you. How long has it been? Ten, eleven years?

I've heard you've moved on and I'm happy for you. Also a bit jealous, to tell the truth. Anyway, I know I never deserved you.

Two days ago, I ran into an old acquaintance in my part of the world and talking to her brought back memories.

'How's John?' I asked her.

I was just trying to make conversation because I already knew...

'He's doing great. You know he remarried, don't you?'

'Yeah, of course I do,' I said to hide my irritation.

After that, I just wandered away without saying goodbye.

Anyway, I'm writing to say sorry for everything I put you through.

Remember when we first met? Everything was so perfect, so beautiful... I thought I would love you for ever... and I did. Despite the in-betweens.

After we got married, I got a great job in Seattle. That meant we had to be apart for long periods of time. We talked about it and decided I couldn't say no. It was too good an opportunity to pass up.

At first I cried myself to sleep every night, but then I met James. He was handsome, attentive and five years younger than me. A great ego booster if you ask me.

I would have never believed it if somebody had told me I was going to be unfaithful. However, distance and lust eventually worked their magic.

'I think of you all the time,' James told me.

I smiled and tried not to be flattered, but I was.

We were never meant to last. When I eventually got a transfer back home, I knew I was saved. I knew I would never see him again.

I made a big mistake, though. I told you what had happened.

'I'll never be able to trust you again,' you said and my heart broke.

However, little by little we were able to fix our marriage. We were happy or, at least, content. But I was bored...

And then one day, on a night out with friends, I met Alan. I had the best man at home, but I was attracted to the dangerous types. How stupid can one get?

Alan and I had a torrid affair. Motels, weekends away. I lied to you non-stop to cover my tracks. After two months, however, he left me. You noticed I was heartbroken and I told you everything.

There were many other men that don't even deserve to be mentioned. Yes, I know. I was fickle. I was a bad wife.

That's why I'm writing to apologize. I want you to know I miss you and that I never meant to hurt you.

I know you've never forgiven me my final betrayal, but you have to believe me when I tell you I never meant to leave you.

This last lover took me away against my will. I fought hard, but in the end he proved to be stronger than me. You can't say no to Cancer when he decides you are his...

I do wish you a long and happy life. I will always be your beloved wife in my heart,

Annie



I'm Sorry contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.