Western Fiction posted October 30, 2016 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Helga finds someone to help out

A chapter in the book Tin Cup

If You Want Something Done Right

by Delahay


Synopsis: Jess Harper, a Civil War vet, is traveling to Denver to see a girl he had left behind when he went off to seek his fortune, hoping she is still single and happy to see him. Earlier in his travels, Jess was robbed by his three companions. He later found them and, after killing two, Cherokee Bill and Banks, he retrieved his possessions and let the third one, Charlie, leave. Charlie later caught up with Jess, shot him in the back, then aimed a gun at him as he was lying on the ground. Charlie had killed a wealthy man named Wilcox. Wilcox had been heading to Denver and Charlie meant to impersonate him using papers found on the body. Charlie knew Jess could identify him as an impostor. He was saved by a settler, Hermann Klein and his daughter who came upon the scene as Charlie was about to shoot Jess. He has been recovering at the Klein's cabin. During this time he has come to admire Klein's daughter, Helga. When Klein goes away for the day he asks Jess to keep an eye on Helga for him. When Jess goes looking for Helga he finds her, naked, bathing in a stream. Rather than being upset, Helga welcomes Jess. Rather than being upset with Jess, Helga's father is pleased that Jess wants to marry his daughter. Now that Helga is expecting, Abe and Jess want to find someone to help Helga with the delivery and caring for the baby. The person they find does not work out well so Helga states she will find someone one her own.


I got up early, just before dusk, and went out to start feeding the critters. It could sure get dark out there when there was no moon out. After the animals were all fed I stumbled along by lantern light to check the fence line. There were four or five places where the rams were determined to escape any chance they got. It was a never ending battle, they'd tear up the fences in their bids for freedom, then I'd spend my time fixing them again. I don't know why the stupid things were so anxious to get away. They had food and shelter where they were now, out there in the wilderness they were likely to meet up with wolves or mountain lions. Even I shied away from roaming around too far from home without a rifle by my side, having someone to watch my back would be even better.

As I made my way back to the cabin I saw Abe out front sharpening the ax.

"Guten morgen," he called out.

I frequently had a little trouble understanding Abe. His heavy accent was difficult to follow at times but even I could follow this greeting.

"Morning, Abe," I replied. "Helga sleeping in?"

"No, she vere 
gone ven I get up today. I think she go to get der help she vant."

I was concerned when he said this. Where could she be planning to find that kind of help around these parts?

I asked Abe, "You got any idea where she was heading?"

"No, she 
don't tell me. Ve just haff to vait. You can cook der breakfast?"

"Not so much. I might be able to scramble some eggs if you think you can handle the coffee."

"O.K. I try."

So I cooked some eggs that weren't too burnt and Abe made some coffee that was a bit better than drinking tar and we called it breakfast. I was worried enough about where Helga had gotten off to that I probably would have managed to choke down actual tar. It was too easy to think of all the bad things she could run into out in the wilderness. Heck, earlier I was thinking the same thing about the stupid sheep that kept trying to escape. Of course, Helga was a lot smarter but there were a lot of different dangers she might come across. Not all dangerous wild animals walked around on four legs. I found that out the hard way too many times.

As the day wore on my worry grew. I'd never in my life known this kind of fear and concern for another person, never had anyone to feel it for. I'd gotten to the point where I was pacing back and forth when I heard Abe call out.

"Jess, der 
vagon, it comes!"

I noticed he was pale and his hand shook as he pointed towards a cloud of dust coming our way. I looked where he was pointing and my gaze met a strange-looking party. Helga was holding the reins but I wasn't sure exactly who or what was seated next to her. The figure was wrapped in a blanket and dressed in buckskins. There was a tomahawk stuck through a leather belt and a rifle was held between their knees. A tall, domed hat flopped on top of a head that was barely visible under the wide brim. There was something that looked like a cradle in the back of the wagon and a burro was tied to the back, looking comical as its little legs trotted fast to keep up. As they came a little closer I could make out a chicken riding on the back of the burro.

"Abe," I asked, "what has she gotten us into?"







 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Delahay All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Delahay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.