General Fiction posted October 23, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Don't pick up the phone

Text me, don't ring

by Jackarrie











"Karen can't you hear the phone ringing?" of course I can John I'm not deaf , I have been meaning to ask you to take the phone out of my office, because I am not answering it anymore, so don't pick up the phone."  "My time is really important."

"Gosh Karen, don't you think that's a 
mad thing to do? I mean all those phone calls you get in connection with your business, how are you going to manage if you do not answer them.?  I just don't understand why you never complained to me before about it. I know you have been to the doctor with your headaches, is it because you are in the menopause now that the phone is bothering you.?"
"No John it is  definitely not the menopause, I just find that the phone interferes with the way I work my business, I am finding it much better using emails. Many times I have been in the middle of planning something and finding it all really exciting, then the phone rings, it could be somebody like Mable who never shuts up, she just goes on and on, and I am not very good at cutting her off. Then when I get back to my work something is lost, and so is my focus. If it is not Mable it's somebody else who wants instant answers about what they are doing, not realizing that they are stopping my creative mind being on a role, it is really important to me that I am not interrupted."

I am a scattered person by nature,  so I need my own time and space to really absorb myself into my work. Thankfully my family never ring me during the day, they wait until I am finished my day. Sometimes I feel my work is never finished because my mind never takes a break.
So I have made my decision to only use emails instead of the phone. Some people think that being without a phone you are cut off from friends and family, and also from other events happening around the world and your life. I happen to think otherwise I really do not enjoy my time taken up with calls when it is stopping me getting on with  what I do best.

I know that many phone calls are still valuable, some calls can still be necessary. It is very true that the tone or urgency can be conveyed in the human voice.

The second decision I have made is that a text is ok, it is immediate  there could be times of emergency, so this will  allow me to know if it's important for me to contact the person. "I see where you are coming from Karen, so I will disconnect your phone from your office and leave you with your cell phone for any incoming texts."

Modern technology can be a blessing or a curse.




 



Don't Pick Up The Phone! writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write in any form (poetry, drama, short story, nonfiction, memoir, etc.) a piece that incorporates the phrase, "Don't pick up the phone." Be creative!


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jackarrie All rights reserved.
Jackarrie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.