Fantasy Science Fiction posted October 8, 2016 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 47... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Billy, Belle, and Tina confront their own challenges.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

Mouse! Mouse!

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
Billy and Belle deal with orchestrated chaos at the school, while Tina tries to reach home where she can call Emory Settler.
"Mouse! Mouse!" Belle screeched as she jumped to her feet. She ran around for a few seconds, then jumped on top of a desk, pointing toward a dark corner.

Billy hesitated for just a fraction of a second, then dashed to his twin's side, pushing over a desk for effect. "Look, there it is."

The other kids began to scream and run around. They knocked over chairs, desks, and even each other in an attempt to create chaos.

Truman rushed to the indicated corner and began sniffing around like a dog on a hunt.

One student accidentally overturned the desk Belle was standing on, causing her to fall on top of the man-beast. The other kids noticed and jumped in the fray. The confused lupine tried to wriggle out of the mess of kids and gain control. He was not successful.

Meanwhile, Julia slipped over to the teacher's desk and opened a drawer. She reached in and took a pocket knife she knew Coach Brewer kept there for opening boxes. It paid to be observant. She quickly stashed it in her pocket and then motioned to Rasha.

Rasha looked at the squirming mass of students to make sure the wolf was distracted, then eased the door open to a storage room. She wasn't sure what she would find, but was willing to run the risk that there would be something useful inside.

Checking around, she found old books on dusty shelves, boxes of papers stacked on the floor, and, finally, fire safety equipment hanging on the wall. Rasha remembered Coach Brewer explaining his room had been designed as a science class, but had been commandeered by the social studies department. She grabbed the fire extinguisher and covered it with an emergency fire blanket. Taking a deep breath, she crept back through the door.

The nicer werewolf, Theo, was just walking into the room pushing a cart of pillows and blankets when Rasha returned. His eyes fell on the blanket. He raised his eyebrows in question and opened his mouth to call out.

As more reaction than forethought, Rasha raised a finger to her lips. "Shhh..."

Theo closed his mouth and stared a moment as though in indecision. Finally, he shrugged his shoulders and placed the cart against the teacher's desk. He paused a second longer, then screamed at the struggling students.

Rasha took advantage of Theo's graciousness and stashed her prize behind one of the only desks that hadn't been overturned. She took a deep breath and joined the melee.

No one even noticed when Matilda charged into the room.

"What's going on in here? Truman, where are you? Theo?"

Belle squirmed out of the pile and crawled over to the witch. "There was a mouse scampering around that ran over my foot."

"Oh my gosh, are you people serious? Don't tell me you've caused all this racket over a stupid rodent. Truman, get up and finish bedding these kids down. I've got real work to do."

"Yes, Ma'am." Truman stood up, spilling kids to the floor. "Get your pillows and blankets off the cart and find a spot for the night-- now."

Matilda shook her head in exasperation and stalked out of the room. "Idiots..."

The kids did as Truman asked. They tried to look solemn and frightened as they settled in, but something had changed in their demeanor. In some small measure, they had won a victory. They didn't all know the details of what happened, but they knew there had been no mouse.

Billy reached across a row of desks and squeezed Belle's hand. "We did the right thing, Sister... thanks for encouraging me to take a chance."

"Thank you for joining in."

"Well, we're all safe, and I guess that's what's important. I just wish I knew where everyone else is, especially Tina. She should be here with the rest of us."

"Yeah, I know. I wonder what they've done with her?"


*****


When would it end? Tina heard the teller slam the door, undaunted by her kick to his shin. She ran toward the woods leading home, pushing her body into a sprint such as she had never achieved before. Behind her was the sound of the man giving chase, but he was slower and heavier, and it wasn't long before she outdistanced him.

As the pursuing footsteps faded, she hazarded a glance over her shoulder. She saw nothing but an empty path, and her heavy heart lightened.

Chuckling, she raised her fist in victory and turned back around just in time to trip over a tree root. She fell to the ground with a loud, painful thud.

"Crap."

Tina lay stunned for a moment, assessing her body for injury. She flexed, turned and twisted until she was convinced the only real damage was a throbbing ankle. She flinched as she rose to her feet, but knew the serious need to press on.

Breathing in the soothing aromas of nature, Tina tried to forget her discomfort. She smelled damp earth, decaying leaves, and the strong scent of pine. Revitalized, she limped onward, but soon, the distinctive sound of the teller's footsteps filled her with renewed dread.

"Stay right where you are, you little brat."

Tina continued to limp on, as though on autopilot.

"I said, stop."

Tina did something against her nature, and ignored the demand of an adult. She did, however, respond verbally. "No. I'm going with my brother as soon as he gets here."

"You don't mind very well, do you?"

"My parents taught me not to trust strangers."

"They should have taught you to obey." The man grabbed her by the arm and jerked. "You're coming with me."

"I don't think so." A deep voice resonated from behind them. "Let her go."

They both whirled around to see a large hairy man wearing a white dress shirt and well pressed black slacks. He had clear blue eyes and a very grim look on his furry face. The teller dropped Tina's arm, and screamed like he'd seen, well, a werewolf. For just a moment, he was frozen where he stood. He screamed, again, and then ran for safety.

Kurt laughed as he picked Tina up and held her in strong arms. "Can't you stay out of trouble?"

"It doesn't seem like it, and I wasn't able to make my call to Emory Settler, either. I did get hold of my big brother, Andy, though."

"I'm guessing he's on his way to get you?"

"Yeah, we planned to meet at the store, but that's not happening now. Maybe we can meet him on his way here. He's on a four wheeler."

"Four wheeler?"

"It's sort of like a motorcycle, but with four wheels."

"Oh okay, well, I'll carry you until me meet up with him, then we can go to your house to make your call."

"We?"

"I'm not letting you out of my sight until you've completed your mission."

"But won't you get in trouble for leaving your post?"

"You're my post now. I have Barlow covering for me."

"Thank you."

"No, thank you."

"Does this mean you're on our side?"

"It means I'm willing to hear what Emory Settler has to say."

"That's fair."

"It's the best I can offer."

"Can you do me a favor?"

"Besides carrying you?"

"Yeah. I need you to change back to your human form. My brother will be here soon, and I'm pretty sure he'll freak out when he sees you."

"Oh, I'm sorry, sure."

Kurt sat Tina on a log, and she watched, this time, as he went through transformation. At first she was a little scared, but grew amazed. His hair slid into his body with an audible click, and his features become softer and more distinguished. He seemed to lose mass as his body shrank, causing his clothes to sag. When he finished, he breathed out a huge gust of air, and then became the Kurt she had met before.

He turned and looked at Tina to gauge her reaction. He was surprised to find her smiling in awe.

"Incredible. Do it again."

"Uh, not right now." Kurt chuckled as he picked up Tina and started back down the path to her home.



Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, "Dance! Dance! Dance!" by MKFlood.


General Summary of book:

Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:

Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill

Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother

Mrs. Pierson/ Witch Gelada: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal

Melba, Anastasia, and Matilda: Witch sisters of Mrs. Pierson/Gelada

Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.

Sean: Caterer and old acquaintance. Also known as the "Prankster".

Mildred: Witch and head of an organization of evil creatures. Locked up, for now, in a jail for supernatural beings.

Theo: Werewolf captor who is bronze colored and the nicer of the two.
Truman: Meaner and less intelligent of the two werewolf captors of the Daredevil Girl Supporters inside the school.

Akhenaten II/Akie: Ahmed's alter ego as a reanimated mummy, the son of Pharaoh Akhenaten I and Queen Nefertiti

Sage: Sally's wise beyond her species, cat sidekick.


Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes

Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde

Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair

Billy Conner: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair

Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American

Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister

Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American. Real name is Tabitha

Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage

Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangling, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.

Bruce: Becky's little brother, the only "Daredevil Guy"

Kurt: Young and handsome Captain of the Shadow Wolves, a group of fringe werewolves who denounce the shedding of innocent blood.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MKFlood at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.