Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 9, 2016 Chapters: 5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cody's awakening

A chapter in the book The Cody Schroder Collection

Boxcar -Part Three

by Brett Matthew West


"Don't be so afraid of your own shadow, Cody," the hobo responded in a calmer tone.

Surprised by what the bum said, Cody quickly asked him, "How did you know my name was Cody?"

"Well, after getting yourself all shot up by the Astatula Assassin. And almost fricasseed alive by BeeBo The Clown. Not to mention all the other escapades you've gotten yourself mixed up in the middle of since coming to Astatula, who in these parts don't know who you are?" the hobo replied. He paused to catch his wind and finished his comment with, "Hate to tell you this, Kiddo, but your reputation precedes you far and wide."

"And, who are you?" Cody wanted to know.

"I'm just a free spirit blowing with the breeze," the hobo responded, "so, don't go getting no fancified ideas that we're a-gonna be buds or something. Cause we ain't. I got big plans for you, gorgeous."

The Flying Eagle sped on. Cody tried to keep his life from flashing before his eyes. He had so much of it left to live. He hoped. Although right now he was stewing like a pickle with no way out of the jar. And, Cobra Switch was not too far in the distance.

"Then you know I live with Sheriff Daniels," Cody boasted.

"Aw, so true. Or so you did. Until you runned away. Now you live with me," the hobo countered Cody's comment, then queried, "and-a, big, bad, Sheriff Daniels ain't here to save your bacon no more is he?" Quickly he menacingly added, "But I am! And, believe me. It ain't your bacon I want, small fry!"

"You do something to hurt me my Dad will hunt you down like the rabid dog you are! And, you'll be sorry you ever laid a hand on me!" Cody strongly warned the hobo hoping his bravado didn't ring hollow.

The hobo simply scoffed and remarked, "I'll be long gone and lonesome long before he even knows what I done."

Cody didn't reply.

The speeding bullet crossed the trestle over Cottonwood Creek. Then raced through the dark Diamond Downs Tunnel. Cody knew the area well. Watching the greenery fly by he realized they were nearing Cobra Switch, where the hobo told him they would disembark the train. All they had to pass now to get there was Cedar Junction.

The bum started to stir from his stretched out vantage point, in a seated position, on the floor of the boxcar. He looked at Cody and said, "Get yourself into a squatted position at the door. When I say the magic word "froggy" you jump. But, don't try nothing funny. Like escaping. Cause I'll shoot you in the back if you do."

Cody did exactly what the hobo ordered him to do. Looking ahead he noticed a clearing just off to the side of where he would land when he jumped out the door. Patiently he waited for the hobo's command.

Standing up, the bum positioned himself behind Cody. The moment of truth was near. Cody sneaked a peek at the hobo. He saw the bum was slightly off balance. That's all Cody needed to make his move.

He leaped up into the surprised hobo. The force with which he did so knocked the bum out the open door on the other side of the boxcar. The hobo fell flat on his back. He tumbled, feet over head, down the embankment running along that side of the tracks. When he did, his .38 Special flew out of his hand and splashed into the Mason Reservoir at the bottom of the hill.

Carefully steading himself, Cody caught his balance. He half-rolled onto the floor of the boxcar but remained inside. Collecting his bearings with several deep breaths. Feeling like the lost little boy that he was, Cody wanted to go home. With Sheriff Daniels. Where he belonged. How he missed his Dad! Tears began welling up in his blue eyes.

(To Be Concluded)




Recognized


After fighting with the hobo, Cody realizes how much he misses his home.






This is Evan, by Lilibig6, selected to compliment my story.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.