General Fiction posted September 3, 2016 Chapters:  ...10 11 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Mary finds her voice

A chapter in the book Buttons

The Button Factory (a fast read)

by jusylee72


The button factory was thirty miles out of town. Mary and Delaney drove up to the security gate. Mary recognized Chase.

"Chase, is that you?"  Mary was in the passenger seat.

"Mary, yes it's me.  This is my side job.  I have another baby on the way so I am supplementing my paycheck. Delaney, I remember you from the meeting.  Why are you out here?  Do you suspect someone here killed Mac Murphy?"

The public didn't know about the buttons. 

Delaney stepped in.  "We are just checking out the people who knew him.  There are eight people from the school who work here." 

Delaney showed him his badge and the search warrant.  

"Give me a minute to talk to the supervisor."  Chase took the phone from the small cabin at the entry way.  

"Go ahead. They know you are coming."

"We will need to talk to you.

Mary interrupted.  "May I call you tomorrow?  I have the number from our meeting."

"Yes, but I work tomorrow too.  Call me, I will try to find a time."

Chase pushed the button to allow entry. 

"He seems calm," Delaney mentioned. "He doesn't seem to know much."

"He knows more than you think."

"What do you mean by that, Mary."

"Did you even look at my notes the night I met with my classmates? He was molested. He told us. He tried to minimize it. When are your going to take me seriously?"

Mary had never raised her voice to Delaney.  She had never raised her voice to any man.  Now she wanted him to take her seriously.  Damn it, she wanted the world to take her seriously.  I am here.  I don't lie.  I have let people walk all over me in my life, but now I want you to listen.  

Mary continued.  

"Look, I do my work well.  I am responsible.  I am meticulous.  I keep great notes.  I am sorry you got straddled with me by the experimental project that made me your new partner. You think you know it all.  Your think you are superior, just like every other man I have ever met in my life.  Daddy told me what to do.  Father Mac Murphy told us how to be good wives.  William controlled my entire career and explained to me over and over what a good wife was supposed to be.  So quit telling me, ask me. I have opinions.  I have ideas.  I have insight.  Frankly, you are the first man I trust to tell it to you without pretending I am weak.   I am not afraid of you.  That is a compliment!  I am unafraid to let you know I am intelligent, insightful, hard working, maybe even pretty.  I have never believed in myself.  Right now, I do. So would you please shut up and listen?" 

For once in his life, Delaney had no response.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe stood at the window staring as Delaney and Mary left.  

She is so special.  Maybe she's the one Cindy told me I would find.   Cindy taught me well.  I promised her to take love slowly. Mary was worth the wait in my mind. 

That Delaney, on the other hand, has me just a little worried.   He doesn't seem so easy to trick.  With all the evidence he has against my supervisor, most would think he would be clamoring to find good old Ralph.   
 
Patience, that was an important goal, but I am not going to just stand still and wait for life.  It's time to take another step forward.   I think it's time for a class reunion.  I need to call Katherine, the queen of entertainment. She will be so excited to hear from me.  What had she said to us?  Oh, yes, she had a large house and would gladly plan a huge party.  She flirted with me at the Green lantern.  She had more than just a party on her mind. 
 
I was going to give her what she wanted.  I mean, Mary and I are not married yet so it wouldn't be like I was cheating on her. 
 





 
Click here to Reply or Forward





  

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.