Romance Fiction posted August 28, 2016 Chapters:  ...60 61 -61- 61... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jim meets up with Miguel.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER TREINTA Y DOS, Part DOS

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Soni heard the helicopter's engine and ran outside. Goliath, Mack, and Fi followed.

"He's stealing my helicopter!" She removed her cell phone.

Gus ran over to her. "Ms. Soni, Jim said he's tracking somebody. Does he know how to fly?"

Soni nodded, replaced her phone, and headed toward the house. "Why am I always the last person to know anything?"

Goliath nuzzled his large head under her hand.

Mack followed, but Fi remained and barked in the helicopter's direction. Mack used his muzzle to push the pup toward the house. Fi refused, stared at Mack, and growled.

With silence, but teeth showing, Mack stared back. A few moments later, Fi turned and pranced inside.

TODAY'S POST:

Part 2

Jim flew a good distance behind the suspect. I hope he doesn't suspect I'm following him. He scanned the ground below. I don't see anything that looks familiar, even though Soni and I came this way to retrieve Midnight.

The pickup parked beside a small dilapidated cabin.

Jim landed behind a large mesa. He then searched behind the seat and found bottles of water, a rifle, and a couple boxes of shells. "I figured Soni'd make sure she's well-armed." He took a drink, grabbed the rifle and ammunition, before he secured the helicopter and headed toward the cabin.

As he walked, he noticed an older truck leaving and heading in the direction of the ranch. "They must be switching lookouts, but why didn't they leave somebody there? Maybe they did, and I didn't see him."

Before Jim reached the cabin, the man he had followed drove away in a different direction.

Jim stood and watched. Now what? Then he noticed another pickup. Hmm, this one's fancy. I wonder who it belongs too.

As Jim crept around a corner of the cabin, Miguel stepped outside.

Just who I expected. I have him now! Patience! Jim waited around the corner for Miguel to step farther away from the door and turn toward the last parked pickup. When Miguel's back was to him, Jim edged closer and stuck the rifle barrel between Miguel's shoulder blades. "Howdy, partner. Put your hands in the air." Jim did a quick pat down and removed a handgun and a knife from him. "Slowly turn around." He shoved the confiscated gun into the back of his jeans' waist band and stepped back.

Miguel did as requested. "What do you want with me?"

Jim studied the knife. "Looks like a carved bear on the handle. We'll get back to that later. Right now, I have an entire laundry list of problems with you. First, why have you sent men to spy on Soni Adler?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. I'd never put Ms. Adler in danger. I'm her boyfriend. You know me." Miguel glared at Jim. "Can I put my hands down, now?"

Jim raised his fist and punched Miguel's face. "You're not Soni's boyfriend and I don't like being lied to." He paused. Patience, patience. I'll get further with patience. "I followed a man here and watched another man drive off toward the ranch. I waited until both men left."

"I have no control over what people do."

"True. If we went back to the ranch, I bet we'd find that man watching the ranch house." Jim grinned. "But I already know that and I know the exact spot he'll be hiding in."

He removed his cell phone and tapped a name. "Jack, there's a man sitting about four hundred yards to the west of the stables." Jim listened. "Yes, that's the spot. Go out and arrest him. I have Sanchez with me." Again, he listened. "No, don't tell Soni. I'm not finished with him, yet." He paused a moment. "Has Kuruk and everybody returned?" He put his phone away.

"You think you know everything." Miguel's eyes met his.

"Nope, I don't know everything. I really don't know very much. With your help, I'm about to learn a lot more."

"You won't get anything from me."

"I figured you'd think that." Jim continued grinning. "So far today, I've learned you're having the ranch staked out." He took the cigarette butt from his pocket. "After this is checked for DNA, the owner will be arrested. Now, I have you, and you're about ready to spill your guts. I see at least three men arrested, and I bet more will follow."

"You're awfully cocky for a government man. I'm not telling you anything. I know my rights."

"You'll be singing like a bird. Just not here."

"I'm not going anywhere with you."

"You're forgetting. I have the gun. You have nothing."

"Go ahead shoot me. I'd rather die than talk."

Jim took aim and fired.

Miguel fell to the ground, grabbed his thigh, and cried out, "You actually shot me."

"Of course, I did. You told me to. If I wanted you dead, well you'd be dead. It's only a flesh wound. Get up and quit whining before I do it again." Jim used the rifle to motion for Miguel to stand. "Get moving."

When Miguel rose, Jim grabbed him by the shirt and shoved him forward. "We're going this way." He adjusted his cowboy hat to shade his eyes. "Too bad you left your hat at the cabin." He glanced a the sky. "Hmm, vultures. I wonder if it will be their lucky day."

After walking a short distance, Miguel stopped in the shade of a large mesa and sat. "I'm bleeding to death. I need medical attention."

"You wouldn't be lucky enough to bleed to death." Jim answered his phone. "Good." He walked away from his prisoner, but kept the rifle aimed at him. "I have Sanchez. He's not giving anything up. I was wondering if you have..." He paused and listened. "Perfect. I'm glad we're thinking a like." Again he listened. "I don't know where that's at but I'll find it. I'll meet you there."

Reaching into his pocket, Jim retrieved the Apache tear. "You have served me well. Thank you." He replaced the black stone as he walked back to Miguel. "Let's go." He gave him a shove.




Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of an Apache tear. If you remember from earlier posts, Kuruk gave it to Jim in order to help him.
Once again, as I posted I changed some wording. I hope I didn't make it worse. LOL
I want to thank all of you for sticking with me for so long. I know this novel is taking forever!!! It's not as long as it seems. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.