Romance Fiction posted August 21, 2016 Chapters:  ...61 62 -62- 62... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jim makes a discovery.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER TREINTA Y DOS, Part Uno

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Fi yipped softly, ran up, and, again, attacked Butkus's paw.

The large dog grabbed Fi by the scruff of her neck, carried her from the table area, and deposited her on the rug by the fireplace. To make sure his message was understood, he gave the puppy a slobbery kiss and a low rumbled growl. Then he returned to his guard station beside the baby.

The Yorkie remained on the rug, but barked at Butkus.

Butkus slowly turned around and stared at the young dog.

Fi lay with her head between her paws.

"Okay, now that that's settled, can somebody pass the eggs?" Jim held out his hand.


TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
Part 1

Later that morning, Soni went into the den and continued searching through the property deeds. She reread them and checked for answers to questions in family history ledgers. Still no mention of Juan Paco Martinez-Vega or the poker game. She leaned back in the large leather chair and stretched her arms until both hands touched the desk. She tapped her fingers. I have proof Dieter's land deed is legal. Gunter's 250,000 acres are legal. Wait! I have no proof that Gunter willed his land to Dieter. With that in mind, she reached for additional files.

Jim poked his head in the doorway. "I'm taking a walk. Do you want to join me?"

She shook her head. "I'm looking for proof that Gunter willed his land to Dieter. That may help with the 125,000 acres."

"Good idea. I'll be in later to help. I feel the need to stretch my legs."

"Are you leaving the runt inside?"

"Yes. Fi's curled up out here with Goliath, taking a nap. I guess they'll get along." Jim laughed.

"Goliath and Mack can keep an eye on everything and everybody in the house from outside this door, nothing will get by them."

*****
Jim glanced toward the garden and smiled. Those tomato plants are starting to make a comeback. Midnight should return in time to help himself. He chuckled.

He walked beyond the stables. "Jack said he's seen movement from this area. Maybe I'll get lucky." He kicked a rock and then knelt down. "A cigarette butt, maybe DNA." He removed his cell phone, snapped a photo, and then hurried back to the house.

It didn't take long for Jim to get some bags from Jack's crime scene kit. After carefully gathering the possible evidence, he smiled and secured it in his jeans' pocket. "Go ahead, make mistakes. I'm waiting." He walked farther away from the stables. "There are footprints. As long as it doesn't rain, they should remain here." He snapped additional photos and grinned. "Or it doesn't get too windy. Now, that might happen."

Jim stopped and searched the area to his right. Did something move? He stood still and scanned the area. It was probably a jackrabbit or a roadrunner. Maybe a mangy coyote. He could feel his heart-rate increase. Patience, man, patience. This could be the break you need.

He knelt on one knee and waited. It must be 106 degrees out here. I wonder how far and how fast I can run in this heat. I'm not used to it. As Jim stood, he caught a glimpse of a reflection partially covered by a straggly oak tree. "What's that?" He walked a few steps in that direction. "It's an old pickup. It must be how they traveled. It wouldn't be seen from the house or stables."

"Now what?" Jim removed his cap and scratched his head. "That man's headed for the truck." He ran back to the stables.

Gus stood at the door. "Jim, what's the rush?"

"Tell Soni I'm taking the helicopter and tracking a man." Jim unlocked the door and climbed inside.

"Do you know how to fly?" Gus yelled after him.

From the cockpit, Jim nodded and waved as he backed it up.

*****
Soni heard the helicopter's engine and ran outside. Goliath, Mack, and Fi followed.

"He's stealing my helicopter!" She removed her cell phone.

Gus ran over to her. "Ms. Soni, Jim said he's tracking somebody. Does he know how to fly?"

Soni nodded, replaced her phone, and headed toward the house. "Why am I always the last person to know anything?"

Goliath nuzzled his large head under her hand.

Mack followed, but Fi remained and barked in the helicopter's direction. Mack used his muzzle to push the pup toward the house. Fi refused, stared at Mack, and growled.

With silence, but teeth showing, Mack stared back. A few moments later, Fi turned and pranced inside.





Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of West Texas landscape. This may be what Jim in looking out into in this post.
I want to thank all of you for sticking with me for so long. I know this novel is taking forever!!! It's not as long as it seems. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it.
The children start back to school Monday. So far, I have twenty little people. I have many siblings of former students. That gives me a nice feeling, knowing the parents of former students have requested me. I must be doing something right. LOL


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.