Romance Fiction posted August 14, 2016 Chapters:  ...59 60 -61- 61... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The dogs settle differences.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Treinta y uno (31) Part Tres

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After Goliath lay down, Mack sighed and followed.

Fi wiggled away from Soni's hold and cuddled in between the two large dogs.

Both dogs looked at Soni as if to say, 'Really?'

Soni petted her two boys. "I guess this is your way of accepting her, for now. Right?" She turned her head toward the door when she heard a noise.

Both large dogs rose faster than Soni. Fi stood underneath Goliath while she barked.

TODAY'S POST:

Part 3

Moments later, Jim and Jackson opened the door and set the bags on a chair. Jim picked up and petted the small dog. "I heard them, too. You need to be quiet before you wake the baby."

Goliath and Mack remained alert.

Soni turned toward the bedroom door when she heard Butkus prowling. She looked back at Jim. "Somebody's outside."

He nodded. "You're right."

"The house has been watched since you left." Jackson checked the holstered gun inside his suit jacket. "Nobody's made a move, just observed."

"I wonder what they want." Soni adjusted the curtain and stared out the window.

"I guess we wait and see." Jim stood beside Soni. "Jack and I can take care of things. Why don't you go on to bed?" When she started to object, he added, "If we need you, we'll let you know."

Soni studied her bedroom door. I need to call Tatiana and let her know we made it safely. A hot bath and my bed would feel good. She turned toward the two men.

"Soni, go. We've got this. Jack said all they've done, so far, is to observe." Jim's eyes met Soni's.

As Soni went into her room, both Great Pyrenees followed.

*****
The early morning sun shone through Soni's window. She blinked a few times and jumped from the bed, smelling hot coffee. After she readied herself for the day, she walked into the living room. Jackson held Emanuel while Isabella set the table. Butkus lay beside Jack's feet.

"Where's Jim? Did anything happen last night?"

"I'm in here. No, there weren't any problems."

Soni entered the den and saw Jim standing in front of the large wall map of the Rockin' A ranch, holding and petting Fi. "What you looking for?"

Jim pointed to a land area on the northwest side. "This is the disputed 125,000 acres, right?" After Soni nodded, he moved his hand to the very top edge of the map. "Over here is the Cactus Jack Ranch."

Again she nodded and placed her hand above his on the wall. "This is about where El Paso's located."

"Okay, so this area is part of the Chihuahua Desert. Who owns the water rights?"

"Rockin' A, but that being said, neither Dad nor I have ever denied any rancher water."

"Miguel Sanchez is the foreman of that ranch. Who owns it?"

"Rusty Parker." Soni anticipated Jim's next question. "I don't know him very well, but he seems like a fair man." She answered her ringing cell. With a smile across her lips and a twinkle in her eyes, she said, "Alex and Kuruk are bringing Tatiana home." She paused and laughed. "The doc says she'll need to rest for about two weeks. I guess Dr. Hatcher doesn't know her very well."

"I'm glad, and you're right about her resting." Jim released a deep breath. "Is there any way we could have a sit down with Sanchez and Parker?"

"I could make an appointment, but it'd be better coming from Alex. It wouldn't look all official."

"Let's have Alex do it." Jim looked toward the door. "I think Isabella has breakfast ready."

As they walked into the dining room, Soni noticed Emanuel propped up in a highchair.

Isabella started to apologize, but Jackson interrupted, "Kuruk thought it would be okay if Emanuel used your old highchair and crib."

Soni smiled and sat. "Not a problem. I don't need them anymore. I'm glad they have a purpose."

As Jim sat, he set Fi down. The adults blessed the food. Goliath sat to the right of Soni and Mack on her left. Butkus lay on the floor below Emanuel.

Fi scampered over and nipped Butkus's front paw.

The large Mastiff used his paw to shove the Yorkie aside.

Fi yipped softly, ran up, and, again, attacked Butkus's paw.

The large dog grabbed Fi by the scruff of her neck, carried her from the table area, and deposited her on the rug by the fireplace. To make sure his message was understood, he gave the puppy a slobbery kiss and a low rumbled growl. Then he returned to his guard station beside the baby.

The Yorkie remained on the rug, but barked at Butkus.

Butkus slowly turned around and stared at the young dog.

Fi lay with her head between her paws.

"Okay, now that that's settled, can somebody pass the eggs?" Jim held out his hand.





Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a Mastiff with a Yorkie on it's back. I know the dogs I write usually steal the scene. I think Fi did it again in this post.
I want to thank all of you for sticking with me for so long. I know this novel is taking forever!!! It's not as long as it seems. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it.
Having gone back to work this week, I have missed many of your posts. I am so sorry. I hate that part of working, I do love the money, LOL.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.