General Fiction posted July 28, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Who is the target?

Assassination (500 words)

by jusylee72


"To be an assassin one has to know their target. What is his schedule? Where is he in the morning? Does he follow a predictable pattern. Planning is ninety percent of the job. The actually killing takes much less time."

I sat in my own dining room. I was in a daze, my hands duct taped to the chair. Who was this man? Words of protest were in my brain but could not reach my lips.

"Your boss has many enemies. His last investment was a great decision for him. It ruined three small businesses. "

My boss, Jackson Taylor?

"I can read your mind. Why? He is a good man. He is a Christian. He donates money to charities. He treats you with respect. Jackson and his wife just celebrated 30 years of marriage. They have three grown children. How could anyone want him dead?"

Still no words left my mouth.

"You will feel better soon. The drug will wear off. Then we will decide how you are going to help me."

I wanted to scream. I would never help him hurt Jackson.

"You will help me. I just have to figure out what currency to pay you. My payoff is easy. Money. We will begin to negotiate your price now. This video will help you decide."

He placed a computer on the table in front of me. My home movies started to play. Last years trip to the coast. Melissa and Chase swimming in the ocean. My husband,Ted, barbecuing. My mother and father sitting under the beach umbrella.

Panic filled me. Where were my children? My husband was away on business. My daughter and son rode the school bus this morning. Now I remember, I was in the garage starting my car when I felt a pinch in my neck.

The screen went blank. A new track started. The children were in the basement. They were tied together, back to back. Both children were crying. A large black box was next to them. The video zoomed in on a timer - 5 hrs counting down.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Tell your boss to come here. You have done it before. Remember?"

Jackson and I had a brief affair last year. Both of us knew it was wrong. No one found out about it. How would this man know?

No time to figure it out. I asked for the phone. "Please come. We have to talk"

Jackson heard the panic in my voice. He would be here in twenty minutes.

My husband Ted and Jackson's wife walked into the dining room.

"Hello dear, I'm home.We wanted proof before we filed for divorce. The children are fine and at school. I took that video a week ago.This is Mason, my friend.  Jackson and you won't file charges.  You care too much about what people think of you. Besides, you are the assasin.  You killed two marriages without firing a shot. Oh look, Jackson's here."  

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.