Romance Fiction posted July 17, 2016 Chapters:  ...101 102 -103- 104... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni learns a name???

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Treinta, (30) Part Dos

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

The leader motioned for the rest of the men to spread out and search the area. One headed in Soni's direction. She removed the knife from her waistband and slid off to the side farther behind a group of rusted-out trucks. He moved closer, and she rose from behind him, stabbing him in the neck. He gasped his last breath as she went back to hiding and whispered, "Two down, only eight left."

Soni turned her head at an unidentifiable noise; rifle in one hand and knife in the other.


TODAY'S POST:

PART 2
"Whoa! Little lady, I've come in peace," whispered Jim, holding his hands in the air, one held his weapon. He glanced down at the man bleeding out. "I see you had a visitor. How you holding up?"

"Fine." Soni bit her lower lip as she avoided his eyes.

"You're not fine." Jim did a quick scan of the area. "It looks like we're safe for the moment. I texted for help. They'll be here shortly."

"Oso! Oso negro!" yelled one of the Hispanic men as he ran. Others quickly followed.

Jim grinned. "Grandfather got you to smile." He paused. "I take it he's helping. I'm pretty sure there's not a black bear wandering the area."

"I agree." Soni glanced at the sky. "I can't imagine being in trouble without his watchful eye."

"Me neither." Jim took the Apache Tear from his jeans pocket and rubbed it between two fingers. "Kuruk told me it'd help me keep you safe." He alerted to a noise and turned his head. With one smooth movement, he raised his rife, aimed, and shot.

"Three down, seven to go." Soni watched the lead man scan the area as he directed his men. "You'd better get back to your spot."

"I need to be close to you right now. You're worn out. It wasn't that long ago you were in the hospital with a concussion. I'm not leaving, so get used to me."

Soni gulped and then turned her head as the leader yelled, "Senorita Adler, you're making this difficult. No more lives need to be lost."

With her hand stopping the sun's glare, Soni looked at the sky and saw two helicopters. "Is this good?"

Before Jim had a chance to answer, a bellowing voice yelled, "You're surrounded! Put down your weapons and raise your hands!"

Jim winked. "It's good. Sit back and enjoy."

On their leader's order, three Hispanic men raised their semi-automatic weapons and fired at the helicopters.

A third helicopter appeared over the horizon. Jim grabbed Soni's arm and yanked her to him. "Hurry!"

"Why?" she asked as she stayed low and followed.

Within moments, Gatling guns sprayed the area. "That's why," shouted Jim as he guided her to safety.

Soni crouched to the ground between two vehicles. Jim bent over her to protect her from above. He grabbed Fi from inside his shirt and handed her to Soni. "Hold her. I'm squashing her."

Soni cuddled the whining Yorkie to her stomach. "Shhh, it'll be over soon." She paused. "I hope."

The couple remained in place.

When silence filled the air, Jim stood upright. "You okay?" Jim offered Soni a hand to help her stand.

"Yes." She held up Fi. "So's your little friend."

Jim petted the pup's head. "You stay put. I'm going to look around."

Soni watched Jim walk away, his rifle readied.

*****
Soni paced a few steps back and forth, holding her weapon in one hand and the puppy in the other.

Fi struggled to be put down.

"Okay, but don't go far. It's dangerous out there." Soni set the puppy on the ground.

The Yorkie immediately squatted before she darted, barking, away from Soni.

The sound of a snapped branch caught Soni's attention. She readied her rifle.

Three men, wearing ICE labeled bulletproof vests, walked toward her, each holding automatic weapons. The man with the puppy snarling and shaking his pant leg said, "You must be Ms. Adler. I'm Glen Watson." He offered his hand and she accepted it. "Is Jacob Blackwood close by?" He looked down at his leg. "I guess this belongs to you." He lifted his leg and the tiny dog rose with it, still hanging on.

Soni grabbed Fi. "Actually, she's Jim's... Jacob's... whatever his name is." She petted the pup's head.

"Do you know how many men there were?"

"At first ten. Jim..." she shook her head, "Jacob killed two, and I got one. Seven now." Soni pointed at the downed man and then turned her head toward a man's voice. "I hear what's his name now." She walked toward it.

Glen held up his hand to stop her. "We're here to protect you. Let us do our job. There may be a straggler or two."

He walked to the right of Soni, another on her left, and the third at her rear. All had weapons readied.

They led Soni to the center area where four men held two Hispanic men prisoners. Glen asked, "How many men are accounted for?"

"Nine," a government agent responded.

"One's still at large." Glen scanned the area and held up one finger to the rest of the men who were still searching.

Soni set Fi on the ground and walked up to a handcuffed Hispanic man. She handed her weapon to Glen and then pushed the prisoner's shoulders with both hands, almost knocking him down. "Why did you do this?"

"I have orders."

She pushed him again, more forceful. "Orders from who?" After no response, she hit him again and asked the same question. Again, no answer. This time she grabbed her rifle and aimed it. "This is the last time I'm asking, Who gave the orders?" Her finger readied the trigger.

"Eduardo Juan Pablo Martinez-Vega Sanchez!"

"Who's that?" Soni's eyes widened.

The man fell to the ground as a gunshot sounded.

Jim ran after the shooter.




Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a a Yorkie in pink camo. I couldn't resist. I want to thank all of you for sticking with me for so long. I know this novel is taking forever!!! It's not as long as it seems. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it.

I have only three weeks of freedom left, before school starts again.

A side note. I took a huge hit on this story by some family members last evening. They described it as pure fantasy and I needed to do a story major overhaul. They stated their was nothing realistic about it. To be honest my heart was broken and I almost deleted the entire story. I need to honestly know, is this story worth continuing or should I ditch it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.