General Fiction posted July 14, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Prose Potlatch Practice for 17th July

Unleashed Forces

by Bananafish308

"...Mr. President, we are running out of time. You MUST do it. The missiles will strike in a matter of minutes."

The President continued to hesitate. How does one come to a decision that will kill millions upon millions of innocent people? He fought against the overwhelming urge to ask his aides the question he dared not ask -- could not ask, as President. It was a question that nearly drowned out all other coherent thoughts in his mind: Is his family safe? As President, though, he could never show that he was putting concerns for his family over the needs of his country. He wondered, for a moment, if his counterpart agonized over the same thoughts, before issuing HIS orders. Who would have thought his adversary would be the one to launch a preemptive attack. His aides warned him, though, not to be fooled by the posturing and pretensions.

He walked over to a briefcase, removed the launch codes and selected an attack option. The dual targets were: WASHINGTON, DC AND NEW YORK CITY. He then walked over to a secure phone used to transmit nuclear missile launch orders. Once the President conveys the codes and the attack plan, and the codes are verified by the General Staff Command Post on the other end of the secure line, the order to launch is given. The President began reading the codes very slowly: "E - M - E - T - I -- B...".




Prose Potlatch practice for Sunday, July 17

Format: OPENING PARAGRAPHS

"The idea is to write the opening paragraph of your story or novel. You want to make it sooo enticing that the reader couldn't possible put it down. You want something that will GRAB the reader and make them keep reading."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bananafish308 All rights reserved.
Bananafish308 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.