General Fiction posted July 3, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Potlatch flash fiction

Lucky Penny

by dejohnsrld (Debbie)


Lucky Penny
 
Jill loved the library. It was her home away from home. She adored books, the way they felt and smelled. None of those Kindle devices for her. Paper and ink, the stuff real stories are made of. Three books a week was her goal, but often it was more. She read all day at the library and kept a few books that had been checked out at home, too.
 
She lived on disability, which was barely enough to cover her rent. She went to the food bank every month and ate at the congregate meals for the needy site every evening. Behind in her rent, she was at risk of being evicted. Perhaps the library would become her ‘real’ home. Thank goodness reading was free. As she walked toward home, she saw a penny on the ground, bent over to pick it up, and slipped it inside the book she was carrying.
Maybe it will bring me good luck.

A homeless man sat on the steps of the art museum with a sign, ‘need money for food’. Jill wanted to help him, but would likely be in his shoes soon enough as it was. She hurried past him, trying to avoid eye contact.
 
After making her usual snack, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, she sat down to read. She remembered the penny. What if it truly brought her luck? Maybe enough money to pay her rent? She took the penny, held it in her hand, and made a wish.
 
That done, she opened the book to read. Her face had a look of amazement as she looked down and saw a thousand-dollar bill between the pages. Had the penny really worked its magic?
 
Stunned, she looked through the pages and found nine more thousand-dollar bills. Should she report this to the library or police? Not on your life …

 



Recognized


313 words.

Topic: In the most unlikely places.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dejohnsrld (Debbie) All rights reserved.
dejohnsrld (Debbie) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.