Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 12, 2016 Chapters:  ...52 53 -54- 55... 


Good
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cody's life hangs in the balance

A chapter in the book Astatula (Final Edition)

Fire

by Brett Matthew West


NOTE: Here is the missing chapter that ends my book Missing and leads into my third Cody Schroder book Calling Card.

I can now release it to Cody's many fans and readers, when I could not before because it was a contest entry.

Enjoy!


*****************************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************************

Sheriff Daniels approached the shed. He smelled a strong aroma of gasoline and saw the saturated walls. Off in the distance Bee-Bo stood with a bow and arrow in his hand. A gasoline-soaked rag was affixed to the tip of the arrow.

"That's far enough Brock!" Bee-Bo warned the Sheriff, "You go no further!"

Sheriff Daniels stopped in his tracks.

"Listen close to me Brock," Bee-Bo began, "Cody's tied to a chair in the shed."

The Clown's comment grabbed the Sheriff's undivided attention. Pointing his weapon at Bee-Bo, Sheriff Daniels instructed The Clown, "Let him go Bee-Bo! This does not involve Cody."

Bee-Bo replied, "No can do Brock. I used Cody as a pawn to lure you here because I knew you would come no matter what."

Then he asked the Sheriff, "You still don't get it do you Brock? This has never been about all the boys I've sold to the highest bidder over the years. Or about all the people I've turned into mulch in my trusty wood chipper."

"Then tell me what it has been about Bee-Bo?" Sheriff Daniels demanded.

"All these years Brock, ever since we were little kids in Portland, it's always been about you and me and who was better at their craft," Bee-Bo laughed. "And I win! I have what you treasure the most. I have Cody!"

Bee-Bo continued speaking, "Now I hold all the cards Brock. So, here is how the final show down scene is going to play out."

Sheriff Daniels intently listened to what The Clown said.

The Clown told the Sheriff, "You drop your gun and go back to your car. I ride off into the sunset. And Cody lives to see another day. Plain and simple Brock."

Igniting the rag on the end of the arrow Bee-Bo threatened, "Or I roast Cody in Hell! You know I'll do it too Brock! Cody means less than nothing to me!"

Before Sheriff Daniels could react Bee-Bo let the arrow fly. It soared through the air and found its target, quickly penetrating the brittle wall of the shed. The shed burst into flames. Bee-Bo raced to the motorcycle he stashed away earlier that morning, hopped on, and fired it up.

Sheriff Daniels faced the toughest decision of his life. Did he rescue Cody and allow Bee-Bo to escape knowing The Clown's bloody rampage would continue and other innocent lives would be snuffed out? Or did he capture Bee-Bo and allow Cody to agonizingly burn to death? The decision was his alone to make. He saw a coffin in his immediate future. But who's?






Make us want to read more. contest entry












This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to compliment my story.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.