General Fiction posted June 26, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
More Bitching

Three Old Friends. Part Four

by Ulla

Previously.

Susan and Marjory have received an invitation for lunch from Audrey who they haven't seen for almost twenty years, and whom they both despise. Susan and Marjory have drifted apart as well. All three were very close when they grew up. Audrey snatched Marjory's fiancee, whom she married. Prior to that she'd stolen Susan's boyfriend, only to dump him. What possible motive could Audrey have to see them after all this time.
They are now at the restaurant.

Part Four


"So, Audrey, before we start our non-consequential conversation, I really do want to ask you about something." Marjory said. "How is your husband doing?" Marjory couldn't help herself. She had to know how her former fiancee was.

Audrey, visibly shaken, turned to answer as tears filled her eyes.

"Marjory, he's not doing very well, actually. He died six months ago in a horrific car accident. I do realise why you're asking, but no ... no at this point I don't want to talk about it."

A stunned silence descended around the table. Marjory didn't know what to do as two sets of eyes focused on her. Brian, dead? It was hard to take in. Brian, who'd always been such a vivacious person. Always so open to life, and living it to the full. How could this be? Granted, he'd abandoned her for Audrey, but this was not what she'd ever wished for either. She felt a lump forming in her throat while tears welled up into her eyes.

"I ... I am so sorry, Audrey. No wonder you're a bit thin. I wish I'd never asked."

Audrey threw a tight smile. "That's okay. You were not to know, after all. How could you?"

Susan's eyes travelled from one to the other, not knowing what to say. All she managed was a feeble,"I'm so sorry, Audrey." She wasn't even sure whether Audrey heard it or not. She was as shocked as Marjory about the news, but to be honest, not really interested in getting too involved. It would be so easy to fall prey to a feeling of revenge. The ugly feeling Audrey had only received what she deserved, lurked right under the surface. However, Susan felt it was too petty a sentiment. It was way below her. Better stay out of it all together.

Audrey coughed to clear her throat, and then straightened up in her chair. It was clear, she struggled to regain her composure.

"Thanks to both of you, and to whatever your thoughts are. I admit the last six months have not been easy for me, but this was not the reason for inviting you here. I mean, it was not to get your sympathy, which, I know, I wouldn't get anyway. Therefore, right now I think we should concentrate on our meal. I'm curious to learn what you both have been doing during the last twenty years since we saw each other.

"And one more thing. Did I mention that after the meal I've arranged for us to withdraw into a private room? We'll have coffee or an after dinner drink, while I'll tell you the real reason why I invited you here today."

Marjory thought that was a rather formal, and an odd way of getting out of an awkward situation, and when she glanced at Susan, she could see her own thoughts reflected in Susan's expression. They both shrugged and nodded in agreement.

Meanwhile, James, the manager, served the first course.

Audrey turned to Susan. "So tell me, Susan, what you've been up to for the last twenty years or so."

"Oh not much really. What is it you want to know anyway? Why this interest all of a sudden? Why can't you just tell us why you've asked us here. Surely it was not for some small talk. Well, I can't speak for Marjory, but if that's what I'd thought, I wouldn't be here. Why don't you just get to the point?"

Marjory chuckled. She couldn't have said it better herself.

"Audrey, Susan is right. You can't possibly think we would go along with some small talk. I am the first to be sorry about Brian's demise, but that's as far as it goes. Come on, spit it out. Why are we here?"

Audrey gazed from one to the other before replying.

"I will admit, I didn't quite anticipate your hostility going so deep. But, I do have a very good reason why I summoned you today. And since you're both here, I deduce you're curious to know the answer. I genuinely would like to know how your life has been during the last twenty years. I still insist we eat first, and afterwards I'll tell you my reasons for this meeting. Can we at least agree on that?"

"Audrey, do you know what we can agree on? "Marjory felt the pent up anger surge through her.

"I'll tell you what my life has been like. After you snatched the love of my life away, I have frittered my life away jumping from one relationship to the other. I've never settled. Always searching for the illusive love, I experienced with Brian. Does that answer your question? Must have done, because you are positively squirming in your chair."

Marjory almost felt sorry for Audrey, but only almost.

Susan looked at Marjory in amazement. "Whatever next?" she exclaimed.

To be continued.



















Recognized


The story is set in ca 1989

Thanks to RandallsArt for the use of the artwork
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ulla All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ulla has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.