Fantasy Science Fiction posted June 19, 2016 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sally and her cohorts make plans to save Tabby.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

The Procedure Begins

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Sally and her cat, Sage, have met up with two young boys who are willing to help her rescue Tabby, and get them all out of the pyramid. Sally is narrating this part of the story.
Special note:

I've decided to change the quotation marks again. After studying the way other authors handled changes in first person speakers, I'm going for a more traditional way of placing quotation marks. Before publishing, I'll make a final decision. Thanks to all of you who have offered comments.

The story continues with Sally telling her part of the adventure:

The boys took me past frolicking kids to where an air vent appeared on the wall about knee level. No one seemed to be aware of our presence, which I felt was more than a bit unusual, even for kids at play. I wondered if Mike Holly was drugging their food. Kith and Jason admitted to eating very little, and so were more responsive. It was an idea.

I watched as Kith took out a metal spoon, and unscrewed the bolts holding the grating to the wall. It fell away easily.

"You've done this before," I said.

"It's sort of a hobby." He smiled. "Come down here and listen. I can hear someone talking."

I dropped to my knees beside Kith, and leaned my ear towards the open vent.

"Oh my gosh, is that water running?" I asked.

"Yeah, they always start by soaking the person in mineral water. Looks like they've started."

"Is Tabby...alive?"

"Yeah, she has to be until the final procedure, but she must be purified and prepared first."

"And you said that takes about three hours, right?"

"Pretty close to it. I only know that by listening to them say how long is left on each step. I don't stay for the last part, though. I mean, I did once, and that's only because I didn't know what they were going to do. It was terrifying, and I still have nightmares about it. Now I listen in and hope someone will escape."

"Has that ever happened?"

"Not that I know of, but there's a first time for everything, right?"

"That's what I'm hoping."

"Listen, they're talking again."

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I don't know, shhh."

"Inject her with another sedative," a male voice said. "She's starting to stir, and must sit quietly in the bath."

"Yes, Mr. Holly," Akie said.

A rustling was heard.

"Okay, done. She'll be out for a while."

"Good."

"Why are we filling two tubs this time?"

"The second one is for you."

"Why do I need one?"

"This girl is a sacrifice for your sister. You need to share in as much of the ceremony as possible to link your souls. Here's some trunks. I'll be back in an hour for the herbal oil treatment."

"Will I do that with her as well?"

"Did you not hear what I said? You must participate in almost everything. Get ready, get in the water, and soak with her, please!"

"Yes, sir."

"Yes, sir?" I repeated, looking at Kith. "What's that all about? I thought Akie is Pharaoh, supreme ruler, a god, and all that stuff."

"He is answerable to Mike Holly for some reason. They all are."

"That's just weird."

"Everything here is weird," Jason said in his quiet way.

"I won't argue with that," I said. "Hey, listen, was that the sound of something metal dropping on a table?"

"Sounds like it to me," Kith said. "It has to be the key. He usually takes it off later in the process, but Mike Holly is changing things up this time."

"Maybe a bit of luck for us?"

"Hopefully," Kith said, "but a change in plans is a change from a pattern I'm used to. Listen, Akie is talking again."

"I want you to know I'm pleased with your willingness to offer up your life for my sister's," he crooned. "It's been so long since I've seen Atenabend, and I can't wait to hold her in my arms again. When we parted, Ay's soldiers were running a sword through her... I was next... Just think, you'll be a part of the remaking of history, and we will always honor your sacrifice."

"This is really messed up," I said, trying to hold down the bile oozing up my throat. "Kith, please tell me this isn't really happening."

"Oh, it's happening. It happens way too often."

"I've got to go for the police."

"How are you going to do that? Run for help? We're too far away from help out here. By the time you get to the police, your friends will be dead. Remember, time doesn't work the same way down here."

"Point taken. Okay, it's up to us, then. First thing we've got to do is get the key."

"Is Sage ready?"

I looked over at Sage, who was bristling with feline rage. Grey hair stood up on an arched back, and an open mouth issued a savage hiss. She was ready.

"I need you to go through the duct and find the key Akie keeps around his neck," I told her. "It should be on a table of some sort near him and Tabby. Try not to be seen. He's already shown he's not afraid to hurt you. Can you do it?"

Sage hissed again.

"Right," I said as I placed her in the open grating. With a flick of her gray tail, she was gone.

We listened to her faint footsteps as she headed down the duct work towards, what seemed to be, the source of the voices. She made no mewing sounds or hisses. I pictured her crouched down in the stalking position, ears flattened against her head, eyes dilated and focused. Like a shadow in the night, she crept towards her goal. I had seen her do it before.

The sounds began to fade, and I listened harder, and then the near silence was broken by a male voice.

"What are you kids doing here?"

"Mike Holly!" Kith said, jumping to his feet.

We were so focused on Sage, we hadn't heard him return from the bottom basement. I was mad at myself for making an amateur's mistake, and just stood and stared at a large red-faced man with dark curly hair. He was almost as wide as he was tall, and he held his head high with repulsive arrogance.

"Uh, we were just playing," Jason said, showing boldness I hadn't seen in him before.

"In the ducts?"

"Yeah, uh, we found this grate open and came to check it out," Jason said.

"Well, close it, and you kids get back to the games."

"Yes, sir."

Kith knelt to the duct and closed the screws loosely on the grate. He looked at me sadly, as though he had let me down. He rose, looking at Mike Holly like he was Satan. Mr. Holly didn't seem to notice, but motioned for us to go to the game area.

"And don't forget to eat," he added. "You kids are way too skinny."

"He didn't recognize me," I whispered. "He thinks I'm one of the rest of you. Is he really so self absorbed he doesn't care?"

"He doesn't see us as people. We're herded in here, and kept watch over like cattle."

"Go!" Mike Holly said, his roaring voice making him sound like an angry lion. Reluctantly, we obeyed.



Recognized


Thank you for the unique artwork, "boys on fence" by VMarguarite which I felt added to the tone of this chapter.

General Summary:
Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:
Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill
Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother
Mrs. Pierson: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal
Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.
Sean: Caterer and old acquaintance. Also known as the "Prankster".
Mildred: Witch and head of an organization of evil creatures. Locked up, for now, in a jail for supernatural beings.
Gregor: Werewolf accomplice of Mildred.
Ahmed: Tour guide. Looks to be about 25. Well built, engaging eyes, from Egypt.
Mike Holly: Ahmed's illusive boss.
Sage: Sally's wise beyond her species, cat sidekick.
Kith: Eleven year old boy Sally runs into in the Pyramid-a helper for Sally
Jason: Kith's shy little brother who is in poor health-a helper for Sally

Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes
Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde
Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair
Billy Conner: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair
Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American
Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister
Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American
Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage
Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangling, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.
Mr. Jordan: Nancy and Sally's father. Very involved in the Daredevil Girl adventures, is later killed by a drunk driver.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.