Fantasy Science Fiction posted June 10, 2016 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sally gets a chance to tell her side of the adventure.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

First Class Sneak

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Ahmed, reveals himself to be the reanimated mummy of Akhenaten II, the heir of a one time Pharaoh of ancient Egypt. He then gasses the other Daredevils, and they awaken to find two people missing.
A hush fell on the audience as, once more, Nancy paused from her narrative. Not even the people on stage stirred. The memory of that day, brought to life by Nancy's dramatic portrayal, was vivid in their minds.

"Sally," Nancy began again, "I believe the next part of the adventure would best be shared by an expert eyewitness. Ladies and gentlemen of the audience, I pass the story now to one of the world's greatest sneaks."

Sally tried to stand, but her knees were weak from tension. Nancy noticed and passed the lapel microphone over to her. During this part of the story, Sally definitely needed to sit. She took a deep audible breath, and the audience followed suit, as though connected to her by an unseen bond.

"I would like to begin my part of the narrative when we were at the bottom of the stairs," Sally said, adjusting her position, and looking intense in the spotlight which had rotated her way. "I'm not going to lie to you folks, I was terrified when Ahmed jerked me up and put a gun to my head. Who wouldn't be? But, as a Daredevil Girl, I had been through some pretty scary stuff, and was bracing myself for another unsolicited adventure.

"I think we had all figured out Akie was more than a guide long before he went psycho on us, but what bothered me most was that he chose me as his hostage. I mean, it wasn't that I wished ill on any of the others, but I was tired of being the target just because I was the youngest and smallest. It happened more often than you might guess.

"However petite and helpless I might have appeared on the surface, though, I was no longer the timid child from the haunted house, and no longer afraid of everything that went bump in the night. I was a seasoned veteran, and possessed two very specialized weapons. I wasn't fast like Tabby, or a great leader like Nancy. I didn't have Becky's knack for the outdoors, or even Elizabeth's unquenchable spirit. My strengths lay in stealth and deception, and I was exceedingly good at both--in a good way, of course.

"After Ahmed shot at Sage, then jerked me up and put the gun to my head, I decided resistance wasn't prudent. I decided to go for a different tactic, and froze like a puppy lifted by the scruff. In essence, I made myself a non-factor factor in Akie's demented equation. While he carried me up step after exhausting step, he began to pay less and less attention to me. At one point, I even let my body go limp to further his hardship. He wasn't making things easy on the Daredevil Girls, why should I make it easy on him?

"To be honest, I did feel a twinge of guilt when I saw the others having to climb the stairs in growing fatigue, while I got a free ride from the loony guy. I could see Nancy's concerned face through my partially closed eyelids, but I had to form a plan, and figured the end would, as the saying goes, 'justify the means'.

"I paid careful attention to my surroundings as we climbed endlessly upwards, which was basic Daredevil Girls' survival skills at work. I looked for pitfalls, dangers, and hiding spots. I kept my mind clear and open for opportunity.

"Once at the top of the stairs, Akie was more than happy to drop me on the floor and leave me alone. I was unconscious, right? He-he, not only was I fully alert, but I was the only one of the whole bunch rested, including Ahmed.

"While the others were forced to watch the hideously sick movie about how Ahmed, now Akie, or Akhenaten the second, had been brought back to life by the quirky businessman, Mike Holly, I began to actually formulate and execute a desperate plan.

"There was an indentation in the wall near the top of the stairs that housed an old empty sarcophagus. I slipped easily inside, cracking the top so I could listen and see.

"From there, I was able to hear the film, and the subsequent discussion of Akie's evil plans. I grew increasingly alarmed as he explained how he was going to use the Daredevils to reanimate his family. I was appalled, but dared not give myself away by screaming or retching. I stayed silent as a still-dead mummy, and waited for my chance to help.

"Finally, I heard my friends scream when Akie slammed the door, and then fall quickly silent. I could hear the sound and odor of gas, so I guessed what he had done. I knew from his discussion that he wasn't going to kill them, but figured he had rendered them helpless. They couldn't help me much in that state.

"Risking exposure, I peeked out where I could see him leaning against the door listening. I listened, too, though I heard nothing encouraging. Finally, he cracked the door open and slipped back in.

"After a few tense moments, I saw Akie carrying Tabby in his strong arms. Both her arms and legs were tied, and she appeared drugged.

"'Ha,' I thought. 'You won't carry her as easily as you did me.'

"But then he did something unusual. He stopped and put Tabby down. I took a greater risk, and lifted the lid of the sarcophagus a bit wider. I watched as he took the key from around his neck, and inserted it into a spot on the wall and turned it.

"A metal door suddenly appeared and split in two, just like an elevator. I watched as Akie dragged Tabby inside. The doors shut automatically, and I could hear the distinctive sound of the elevator as it descended. I couldn't believe it. There was a working elevator all along.

"Why had he made everyone walk up that horrible flight of stairs when there was an easier way? I guessed it was because he knew the only way he was going to get the better of the Daredevils, was to make them too tired to fight back. If that was his purpose, he had succeeded, and now he had Tabby, and goodness only knew what he was going to do with her.

"As soon as I figured the coast was clear, I eased out of the cramped hiding place, and surveyed my surroundings with a careful eye. I tried the door to the room that held the Daredevil Girls first, but found it locked. I rapped quietly on the door, but there was no answer. I didn't dare to knock harder.

"I had to make a decision--stay with the other Daredevil Girls--or go after Tabby. I hesitated for no more time than it takes a heart to beat. Tabby was my priority. I tapped my head against the door and wished the others well, then turned and slipped down the stairs.

"I halted at an area where I remembered the elevator had appeared. I tapped on a likely spot, and to my surprise, the wall cracked opened. Inside were the two metal doors I had seen earlier. Sitting ominously beside them, was a glowing button. I hesitated a moment, then pushed it.

"The elevator was still traveling down, so I had to wait for it to return. The stupid fool had left the doors unlocked. I guessed he figured he was safe with the Daredevil Girls and Guy locked upstairs. What he should have done was counted heads before he left, a mistake my mother had learned to avoid when I was a toddler.

"I waited, for what seemed an eternity, before the elevator returned and the doors swished open. I stepped aside so as not to be seen by any possible occupants, but there weren't any, so I climbed on board. Just as the doors were about to close, I heard a faint meowing sound. I stuck my foot out.

"'Sage!' I whispered as loudly as I dared. 'You didn't abandon us. You're a bigger sneak than I am! Come on, I can use your help.'

"Sage meowed with an almost human-like sound, and then joined me in the elevator with one graceful leap into my arms.

"'We've got to save Tabby,' I said, hugging her close. She mewed again.

"The doors on the elevator snapped shut with a metallic creak of finality. We were on our way down."



Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, "Ready to pounce", by cleo85

Some of you have noticed the appearance and disappearance of quotation marks. After much research, and consultation with experts (some of you included), I have found that in long narratives, you use a quotation mark at the beginning of each paragraph, and none at the end until the last paragraph. If there is a quote at the beginning of a paragraph, you use three marks, "'. If you hear of another way to do it, please share.

Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:
Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill
Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother
Mrs. Pierson: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal
Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.
Sean: Caterer and old acquaintance. Also known as the "Prankster".
Mildred: Witch and head of an organization of evil creatures. Locked up, for now, in a jail for supernatural beings.
Gregor: Werewolf accomplice of Mildred.
Ahmed: Tour guide. Looks to be about 25. Well built, engaging eyes, from Egypt.
Mike Holly: Ahmed's illusive boss.

Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes
Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde
Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair
Billy Conner: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair
Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American
Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister
Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American
Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage
Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangling, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.
Mr. Jordan: Nancy and Sally's father. Very involved in the Daredevil Girl adventures, is later killed by a drunk driver.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.