Fantasy Science Fiction posted May 29, 2016 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ahmed forces a climb to the top of the pyramid.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

Up the Stairs

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.


Background
Ahmed, who proves to be more than a tour guide, forces the Daredevils up a flight of stairs, holding Sally as a hostage to ensure their cooperation.
Summary: 
After a tour of three levels of basement, Ahmed hurries the Daredevil Girls and Guy back up to the main floor. Once there, he demands they climb an impossibly long set of stairs to the top of the inside of the pyramid. When they balk, he grabs the youngest and smallest, Sally, and holds her at gunpoint. He reasserts his instructions to begin climbing the stairs.

The Story Continues:

"'Okay, chill out,' Bruce said. He stopped in his tracks. 'What tour company did they find you at, Buddy?'

"'Do not try and be humorous with me, young man. Obviously I am more than a tour guide. Mess with me, and I will be forced to use violence.'

"Bruce nodded as we all fell silent. For a long, tense moment, there was no sound, and no one moved. Then, a loud, insistent hissing was heard. We looked down to see Sage bristling with feline rage. Her back was hunched, her mouth open, and every hair on her body stood up in righteous indignation.

"In a flash, Ahmed turned his gun from Sally and pointed it directly at Sage. He fired a shot, but Sage stood her ground. The bullet, intentionally, had missed.

"Sage slowly backed towards the open door of the pyramid, spitting and hissing the entire way. In her squinted eyes was a promise that she would be back. Sage, you see, was no ordinary housecat.

"'Run, Sage,' Sally screamed.

"'Don't worry about the cat,' Ahmed said. He put a strong arm around her, and pulled her off her feet. 'Worry about yourself if your friends don't do as I ask.'

"'Tell us what you want,' I said.

"'I already did. Head up the steps, and no more whimpering. We picked you because you're strong, so stop acting like snivelling children.'

"'Okay, we'll cooperate,' Elizabeth said. Her eyes flashed as much anger as the cat's. 'But put Sally down, and let her walk with us.'

'"No, I don't think so. I'll keep her to ensure you keep your word. Now let's go, all of you.'

"Sally didn't whine or complain, but she did look afraid, and so we followed the maniacal tour guide up the long steps.

"I can't begin to tell you how we managed to reach the top, but we did. The steps were steeper and more exhausting than any we had encountered so far. Ahmed walked behind us, carrying Sally in a grip so tight she was having difficulty breathing. About two thirds of the way there, she passed out, and hung limply in his arms. With the gun held tightly in his other fist, there was little we could do but follow his instructions.

"Once at the top, we saw just one door, which was standing open. We literally fell through onto a cold stone floor.

"'Get up,' Ahmed demanded, dropping Sally beside us, 'and take your places at the theater. The film is about to begin.'

"Wearily, we struggled to our feet and over to the cushioned seats. Sally, whose pale little face rested on the cold floor, remained behind. I didn't even have the strength to lift her. At least she wouldn't have to see whatever film Ahmed had planned.

"Tired beyond belief, we were grateful for the chance to sit down. Quickly, the light dimmed and the screen in front lit up. The likenesses of Akhenaten and Nefertiti appeared, as before, in all their god-like glory. 

"'I hope this isn't the same film,' Elizabeth whispered. 'Otherwise our boy, Ahmed, has just gone to a lot of trouble for nothing.'

"'Hush and watch,' Tabby warned. 'I want to see what he's gone to so much trouble to show us.'

"We did hush, and we did watch, and what we saw was nothing short of ancient scandal.

"According to the film, Akhenaten was murdered by a rival, Ay, who ended up in power after he managed to do away with a series of other rulers. The first of these, Nefertiti, was Akhenaten's beloved wife. She was murdered after serving only a few years as Pharaoh, but not before she gave birth, in secret, to a boy named, Akhenaten II. She sent her son to live in anonymity with his Nubian half sister until he could take back his father's throne. It never happened. He, too, was murdered, and his body entombed in a wall.

"The film faded to a shadowy image of a man dressed in Pharaoh attire. The narrator's voice boomed out, making us jump in our seats. 

"'I give you now,' it said. 'Akhenaten II, returned from the grave, reborn and renewed.'

"The shadowy figure disappeared and was replaced by a strong, very familiar, young man.'

"The lights came back on, and Ahmed strode into the room. He walked up to the stage dressed as a Pharaoh, and holding a crook and flail in his hand.

"'Any questions?' 

"'Only one,' I said. 'Who are you, really?'

 



Recognized


Special thanks for the artwork, "Half Face" by isb63. The artwork of our friends is invaluable to our stories and poems. Thank you.


Some of you have noticed the appearance and disappearance of quotation marks. After much research, and consultation with experts (some of you included), I have found that in long narratives, you use a quotation mark at the beginning of each paragraph, and none at the end until the last paragraph. If there is a quote at the beginning of a paragraph, you use three marks, "'. If you hear of another way to do it, please share.

Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:
Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill
Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother
Mrs. Pierson: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal
Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.
Sean: Caterer and old acquaintance. Also known as the "Prankster".
Mildred: Witch and head of an organization of evil creatures. Locked up, for now, in a jail for supernatural beings.
Gregor: Werewolf accomplice of Mildred.
Ahmed: Tour guide. Looks to be about 25. Well built, engaging eyes, from Egypt.

Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes
Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde
Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair
Billy: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair
Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American
Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister
Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American
Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage
Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangly, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.
Mr. Jordan: Nancy and Sally's father. Very involved in the Daredevil Girl adventures, is later killed by a drunk driver.

Daredevil Girls: Team of youngsters who fought against evil with the help of humans and good supernatural creatures.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.