Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 24, 2016 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Astatula Assassin captured

A chapter in the book Astatula (Final Edition)

Living Life

by Brett Matthew West




Background
Cody Schroder is a young boy headed down the wrong road. Can his guardian turn him, and his life, around in a small town where a deranged mass murderer is running loose?
The popular Daytime Soap Opera Living Life just began airing when Stephanie Martin of Channel 24 News cut into the broadcast with a Special Public Service Announcement.

"The Astatula Assassin has been captured!" she excitedly began her report going on to say, "Sheriff's Deputy Fred Taylor confirmed local farmer David Werner was apprehended at the Health Spa. The scene of the latest attack of this madman. Again, the Astatula Assassin has been captured! Join us at 5 o'clock for the latest update. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming."

Driving back to Astatula from the Texas Death Chamber at the Walls Unit in Huntsville, Sheriff Daniels and Beth looked at each other with quizzical expressions on their faces. They were listening to Willie's Roadhouse when Don Albritton announced a similar report about the capture of the Astatula Assassin over the radio.

"David Werner is the Astatula Assassin?" Beth questioned the validity of that accusation more than the Sheriff stating, "He's lived here all his life."

"Still farms his old man's spread," Sheriff Daniels responded not sure he believed the accusation either, "got those forty acres out by the canyon. He and Doris are two of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet."

"Poor Doris," Beth replied thinking of Werner's wife, "there's no telling how she feels right now. Shocked. I'm sure. They've been pillars of this community for years."

"Well, if Werner is the Astatula Assassin that's a big relief, Sweetie," Sheriff Daniels commented, "now maybe we can all get back to more stability. I do believe Astatula's been in an uproar long enough about this lunatic."

"And maybe we can get back to spending a little more quality time with Cody," Beth remarked thinking about the boy they had left with Buzz Cochran while they were gone.

She remembered the package she had placed in the trunk of the Sheriff's car before departing Toy World in Huntsville.

Beth found herself missing Cody and added, "He's going to be so surprised by that new XBox we got him."

"Little Man's been working extra hard around the station lately," Sheriff Daniels replied, "and the boy deserves a small reward once in a while."

Beth looked at the Sheriff.

"Do you think we spoil him too much Brock?" she asked popping the tab on a Diet Pepsi can and taking a sip of her favorite soda.

"Not if you ask him we don't," Sheriff Daniels quipped saying, "Besides. I kind of enjoy giving him little treats."

"Me too," Beth remarked settling more comfortably in her seat, "I never knew how much fun having a rugrat in the house could be."

A deer was spotted on the shoulder of the highway they traveled. As they approached the animal Sheriff Daniels pointed it out to Beth. Quickly it disappeared into the cluster of trees it had come out of and the Sheriff negotiated a sharp curve in the road.

"If we could just break Cody of his infamous "Things like this ain't supposed to happen to boys like me" train of thought every time we give him something special I would feel so much better," Beth admitted, "but, I don't know how to stop him from feeling that way."

"Cody appreciates all we do for him Beth," Sheriff Daniels said, "but, you have to remember what few toys he was even allowed to play with in Palo Pinto his father smashed to smithereens before he beat him. Cody's slowly learning it's okay for him to have his own things."

"I'd like to smash Earl Anthony Schroder into tiny little pieces of nothing!" Beth bluntly replied to the Sheriff's comment. The anger apparent as she spoke.

"Then it's a very good thing for him that he's dead Beth. Because you would be first in line after me," Sheriff Daniels confirmed.

He looked at Beth and wondered how this vision of loveliness sitting beside him could be so understanding.

Then he said, "All we can do now is teach Cody there is a much better life out there for him than he ever dreamed possible going through the nightmares he lived through in Palo Pinto."

"I wonder how Cody and Matt have gotten along these last couple of days?" Beth curiously asked changing the subject to a more pleasant topic.

"Knowing Buzz Cochran the way I do I'm sure he's kept both of them in a very straight line Beth," the Sheriff replied, "he's more than capable of handling two rambunctious ten-year-olds like those two little monkeys."

"They're both good kids Brock," Beth interjected her feelings about the boys into their conversation.

"Put a football in Matt's hand and he's a happy camper," the Sheriff said, "you know, I was there the night he was delivered. Back before Janice ran away with that much younger truck driver."

"I didn't know she did that Brock," Beth casually mentioned, "I guess you never told me about either one of those situations before."

"He was eight years younger than her," Sheriff Daniels continued his story, "they went to El Paso. Moved on to Reno. Not a word out of her since."

"How long ago was that Brock?" Beth wanted to know.

"Four years almost to the day Sweetie," the Sheriff answered her, "now they are two bachelors better off on their own without her meddling into their affairs."

"How could any mother not want her child?" Beth wondered out loud saying," I'll never understand that kind of thinking."

"I know two," was all Sheriff Daniels said.





Sheriff Daniels and Beth take a trip to the Texas Death Chamber where the Sheriff confronts the Green Belt Slayer who murderer the mother of his son.

Will he get the confession he has sought for more than ten years before the killer is executed?








This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to compliment my story.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.