General Fiction posted May 12, 2016 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Delaney and Mary, discovering who they are.

A chapter in the book Buttons

Buttons, new stories

by jusylee72

Delaney

At the police station, gloves on his hands he was looking at the letter. ‘Button, Button, Who has the Button?”  That was all it said.  The stationary was blacked out at the top.  The department had kept any reference to buttons away from the press.  So what was this letter about?
 
The button factory was just over the county line, maybe 20 miles from here.  Mary and Delaney were scheduled to go there on Monday.  Delaney had heard about an earlier case from the factory,  maybe three months back, he thought.  What was the guy charged with?  Oh yeah, Child Pornography on his computer.  He called up the detective on record for the case.  Caraway was his name. He was straight forward.

“The case was pretty cut and dry.  No big surprises, anonymous phone call with a tip.  The guy was so stupid, kiddie porn on his office computer, porn on his home computer.  We requested a high bail.  The judge didn’t go along with it.  The man had no criminal record.  The guy skipped before we even got to trial.  We haven’t been able to find him.  The evidence box is in the basement of the precinct.  You can look through it, but you won’t find more than the obvious.”

It was late but Delaney decided to go check it out anyway.  The clerk handed him three boxes.  The first had records from both his computers.  The hard drives had been thoroughly checked by the department’s technical advisors.  The third box contained the contents of his work desk.  Delaney dug into it, pictures, pencils, mundane, normal office equipment.  In the bottom of the box in a plastic evidence bag were the two things that didn’t fit, one glittery button, one religious button.  They matched the new crime scenes perfectly.
 
Delaney’s radar went up.  This was too easy.

“The guy was so stupid, kiddie porn on his office computer, porn on his home computer.” 

 
‘No one is that stupid,’ Delaney thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Mary
 
Mary turned off her phone.  She shouldn’t. She knew better.  She had to be on call for Delaney. 

‘Just for an hour’, she told herself.

Mary had never allowed herself to be out of control.  Now, she was on the verge of rage.  She wanted to break things. Throw things. Scream obscenities, listen to no one.

Most of all, she admitted she was afraid.  A few times she tried to stand up to William.  Each time he convinced her that she was the crazy one.  He knew what he was doing.  Didn’t he run their careers?  Didn’t he know more about society?  He was half way around the world, yet he still had control over her.

She had been taught to be the good girl.  She had bought into the “Virgin Myth”.

“You must save yourself for marriage.  Your body is a temple.  It is meant only for your husband.  The marriage vows are sacred.”
 
Her mother told her so often. “It is the girl who gets pregnant.  Don’t give yourself to anyone without the Lord’s consent.”
 
In her teens, she tried to deny her sexual feelings.  They were strong.
 
She created a fantasy. 
 
At night she would pretend she was a slave.  The emperor wanted her for his concubine. She had no choice.  She had to do what he said or face death. 
 
She would touch herself, down there in the forbidden place. She would allow her body to crave sex. The physical response was intense, pleasing, comforting, overwhelming.
 
When she married William, she believed it would be even more exciting, all-consuming, loving and passionate. 
 
With William - Sex was none of that.  It was perfunctory, demanded, directed, and expected.  
 
Somehow the “Holy Vows” were supposed to connect them, make them one in the eyes of the Lord.
 
‘Maybe I am the crazy one,’  Mary briefly thought.  
 
‘But what if I am not?’
 
She turned her phone back on.  William would be calling soon.  She knew what his response would be.  She was almost ready.

 

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.