General Fiction posted May 7, 2016 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Mary and Joe

A chapter in the book Buttons

Moving in

by jusylee72


Mary stood by the car watching as Joe went back to the restaurant. 

'Is this what a kiss is supposed to feel like? She wasn't prepared for it. The gentleness, the softness, the response her body had was overwhelming.

Mary opened the door and sat in the driver's seat. She picked up her phone.

William's message glared at her from the light on her phone. 


- Pick me up at the airport on August 18th at 7:00 p.m.
- I have accepted a contract for us both with the Houston Light Opera.
- You will be playing Micaela in Carmen.
- I am bringing with me a talented young contralto who has accepted the role of Carmen.
- We will be putting her up at our house until we leave for Houston in September.
- Have the house spotless. The guest room must have new sheets, new curtains.
- Ask for help decorating it. You know decorating has never been your strength.
See you soon,
William


"No loving husband could have written these words.   This isn't something a husband would write to his wife.  This is Something you would give to a secretary. Zero words of love. It was condescending.'

And insults: "You never were good at decorating, have someone help you."

Mary had never been close to anger, much less rage. Now, every inch of her was accelerating.

When she got to their apartment she had a revelation. "I have never lived here. I only exist here."

The apartment had a large living room. There were pictures of her husband directing. He had picked out everything, the curtains, the sofa, the carpet. She hated the dull colors, the elegant furniture that was not supposed to be used.

She turned to their bedroom. She spoke out loud to herself, "Our Bedroom, No, your bedroom.

The decor picked out by William looked formal,  gaudy red heavy curtains,  a dramatic velvet bedspread.  Mary hated it all. 

She reread his demands, "Buy new sheets for the guest room."

That demand she would honor.

Her mind was on fire, " I can't leave. I have nowhere to go. I make money now, yes, but there is no way I can afford a new place, a new deposit, two months rent, but I can do something else."

She tore the covers off the bed in the "Guest Room". She took everything out of that room except the furniture and threw it in the living room. She tossed the lace curtains on the couch.  She took her clothes out of the master bedroom. She put them in her new home, the guest room. She put clean sheets on the bed. "I'm moving in."

She picked up her phone. He would be here in five days. She texted him. All in capitals.

FIND YOUR OWN RIDE HOME FROM THE AIRPORT. I AM NOW YOUR ROOMMATE.

Mary didn't use cuss words. This was a special occasion. She edited the text.

FIND YOUR OWN FUCKING RIDE HOME.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe

"Yes, I wrote a letter to the police.
"No, that was not dangerous.

"Remember my boss, the one who is in the well on his way to hell.

"When he was charged with child pornography, he was let out on bail. That was when I sent him for his own "Well-being" to his new destination.

"When he didn't show up to court, the detectives came to our factory. They confiscated everything his computer, his desk, his locker, everything. Someone, okay me, put a couple of things on his desk.

"Let's see, a sparkly, gaudy button and an expensive religious one. My two special people. The two cases had not been connected yet. Mary and Delaney would figure it out when they came to investigate our factory.

"There, in the evidence box at the police station, is the box holding all of my bosses possessions.

"I also wrote the note on his personal stationery. Yes, I blacked out his name with a sharpie, but forensics could eliminate that and find out what was underneath.

"It had been so easy.

"But Mary, That was another story.

"The kiss was amazing. Most importantly, she kissed me back."

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.