Fantasy Science Fiction posted May 7, 2016 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Nancy is compelled to tell a second story.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

Intermission

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
After telling one story about the Daredevil Girls, Nancy Jordan, Middle School science teacher, and former Daredevil Girls thinks she's finished. She is not...
End of Last Post:

"With a quick wave and a brilliant smile, Maggie faded until the last vestige of her being popped like a cork and then exploded in soft brilliant sparkles that tickled our upturned faces.

"This now ends my first story, and on behalf of myself and the other Daredevil Girls, I would like to thank you for your attention and interest. We will now take questions from the audience, and answer some entered into the wooden collection boxes."

The Story Continues:

"Not so fast," Mrs. Pierson said. "It's only 3:00, and you haven't told your second story. The questions can wait until after the assembly is over."

"What second story?" Nancy asked slowly, punctuating each word carefully. "You didn't tell me anything about a second story, and we only have thirty minutes left before this whole thing is over--that's according to your directive, Mrs. Pierson."

"Oh, I'm sorry, didn't you get the email?"

"From who?"

"The Assembly Committee."

"No."

"Well, they voted to extend the program until 4:30 to allow extra time for full media coverage. You're our own local celebrity and we want to capitalize on the publicity. Surely you can appreciate how much our school could benefit from the revenue such an event will draw in."

"Revenue? Mrs. Pierson, I'm not a rock star. People aren't paying to get in here---are they?"

"No, no, of course not, but we are hoping to pick up some sponsors for the football team. Coach Brewer has already signed up Big John's Barbeque, and has a few others in the wings."

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Now, Miss Jordan, you know I don't kid. This is a small district and we need to look for opportunities where and when we can find them. We are selling refreshments in the lobby as we speak. I'm sorry this has taken you by surprise, but you need to look at the bigger picture. Be a team player."

"I'm all for playing on the team, Mrs. Pierson, but you are asking me to bare my soul in front of all these people--again--and this time with no preparation."

"You can do it," Sally interjected, "and we'll help, just like we did in the last story. Tell them about the pyramid. It's one of our favorites, and involves Bruce."

"I don't know, I don't like being pushed into something."

"She'll do it," Tabby said, placing a hand on her hip and glaring at Nancy. "This girl can tell stories all day."

"Speak for yourself," Nancy said.

"I was speaking for both of us, now hush. The lady wants another story, and all those kids out there are expecting it. It's not like you don't remember any."

"Of course I do; I think about them every waking moment."

"Good, then tell the pyramid story," Sally said.

"Got my vote," Elizabeth spoke up.

"And mine, too," Bruce said. "I'll even talk this time."

"Okay, okay, I'll tell your second story, but I'm not happy about it. And next time, please don't bring the media, Mrs. Pierson. I don't care how much coverage you think our school needs; you have no idea how uncomfortable the attention is making me."

"You liked it well enough when you were young," Mrs. Pierson commented as she ambled towards the podium. "Besides, I was sure Tina had told you about the changes. She is, afterall, the student rep on the Assembly Committee."

"Well, she didn't," Nancy said, "but I won't argue further."

"Okay, good, now that that's decided," Bruce said, clapping his hands in front of him. "Let's get some of those refreshments."

"The Daredevil Girl Supporters have that taken care of," Tina said. "We had the caterer bring food backstage for all of you."

"That's very sweet," Tabby said. She reached down and gave the young leader of the Daredevil Girl Supporters a big hug.

"Yes it is," Becky agreed, "and I would like to thank all of you for helping us with this reunion. I know how much work you must have put into it."

"That goes for me, too," Sally said, "and aren't you kids just perfect for a new team of Daredevil Girls and Guys? You can't be supporters forever."

"We hope so," Tina said. "It may sound corny, but someday we aspire to be just like you."

"Someday, maybe, you will."

"Don't encourage her," Nancy said. "They are enthusiastic enough as it is."

"Why not? There were people who encouraged us. Whatever happened to your sense of responsibility and adventure?"

"You know what happened to it."

"You mean dad being killed by a drunk driver? It happened to me, too, sister, or have you forgotten that? Like you and Mama, I was hurt, but it didn't make me want to give up."

"Then why didn't you and the others go on without me? I never told you to disband the group."

"How can the body function without the head?" Sally asked softly.

"You choose another head," Nancy returned.

"There is only one Nancy Jordan," Sally said, "and, to be honest, there were times I was glad for that, but not now. There was and is no Daredevil Girls without you. Let the pains of the past go, or you'll never be who you were born to be."

"How do you know I wasn't born to be a science teacher?"

"No one's saying you aren't," Tabby said, stepping into the conversation, "just that you have a second calling."

"A higher calling?" Nance asked sarcastically.

"If that's what you want to call it," Sally said, "but like Maggie Smyth in our story, you have unfinished business."

"I'll think about it."

"That's all we ask," Tabby said, now hugging Nancy in turn. "Now go knock 'em dead with the pyramid story."

"And, Miss Jordan," Tina interrupted, "I promise I didn't know about the change in plans, or I would have told you. The committee met again last night after I left to go home. That must have been when they changed things."

"Don't worry," Nancy smiled. "Now you know the reality of committee work."

"I hate to break up this touching scene," Billy said with a quick eye roll, "but we need to go get the snacks; I'm starving."

"I'll help. You ladies can stay here," Bruce said, nudging Billy on the arm, and pretending to whisper. "I'll give you some tips on keeping your sanity around all these Daredevil Girls."

"I can use the help with both, come on, I'll show you where the food is."

"Can we pull some of these chairs together so we can talk?" Elizabeth asked after Bruce and Billy left.

"Sure, just scoot them over," Nancy replied.

"Now this is more cozy," Tabby said, lowering herself into a chair.

"I can't believe this day," Elizabeth said, joining her. "Thanks for doing this, Nancy. I know it's hard to share your heart with a group of strangers, but, like your mother said, we need to pass on the flame."

"My mother? How did you know my mother said that?"

"Ha," Becky said. "Your dear mother called us all when she heard about the assembly and gave us a speech about owing it to the new generation to teach them what we know. She was very persuasive, and I think her story got better with each one of us she had to coerce into being here. Your mother should have been the lawyer in the family."

"Or a car salesman," Sally interjected. "I think the only one who came without a fuss was Bruce."

"That's because he spent so long wanting to be in, and then only had four years to participate," Tabby said.

"That was plenty," Nancy stated. "It was a hard four years."

"True," Tabby agreed, "but I don't think there is a one of us who regrets doing what we did."

"I miss it, still," Sally said, "and I hope this is just the beginning of a whole new era for our old team."

"You know, if this assembly goes over well today, and if no more surprises are sprung on me, then, perhaps, we can do it again. Mrs. Pierson had suggested once a month. I think it would be great if y'all could be here with me."

"I would love to," Tabby said. "We'll have all the adventure and none of the risk."

"I prefer making new stories," Elizabeth said. "There is still a lot of adventure left in this grown-up lady."

"And this one," Sally added, "and you don't even have to ask Bruce what he thinks."

"Now that's the truth," Becky said. "I think we should all try to make it when we can."

There were several nods around the group, and then a pause when the guys returned with food.

"I just can't wait to make my own adventures once the new Daredevils take on the fight," Tina said, and then jumped to her feet to help pass out food, acutely aware of the sharp look Nancy had given her.

The subject was dropped once they began to eat, though, in Nancy's mind, it was not forgotten. She was just way too hungry to worry about it at the moment. It seemed everyone else felt the same way.

"Who made this wonderful food?" She finally asked. "This isn't just a snack, it's a masterpiece."

"Oh, it's from a caterer out of Houston," Belle explained. "Some Irish guy your mother recommended. She says you know him."

"I know lots of people, and many I have chosen to forget. I have a sneaky suspicion he's one of those."

"Oh, you remember, Sean," Sally said. "He's pretty unforgettable."

"You mean, prankster Sean?" Nancy asked.

"One and the same," Bruce chuckled. "It seems he cleaned up his act, and went to some culinary school in Dallas. He gets rave reviews from the critics."

"Well, you can't argue with the results," Nancy said. "I've never tasted better."

After about fifteen more minutes, Mrs. Pierson traipsed back from wherever she had gone to eat during intermission. She smiled at Nancy and the others as she made her way to the podium. The crowd had returned, and most were settled into their seats. As earlier, she had only to clear her throat and everyone fell quiet.

The audience lights dimmed, and the spotlight, manned by Nancy's favorite coach, swung over to highlight her face. She took a deep breath and prepared for another long tale of adventure and intrigue.



Recognized


Thank you for the artwork, "Waiters" by Liilia. It set the mood for snack time!


Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:
Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill
Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother
Mrs. Pierson: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal
Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.
Sean: Caterer and old acquaintance. Also known as the "Prankster".
Mildred: Witch and head of an organization of evil creatures. Locked up, for now, in a jail for supernatural beings.
Gregor: Werewolf accomplice of Mildred.

Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes
Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde
Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair
Billy: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair
Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American
Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister
Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American
Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage
Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangly, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.

Daredevil Girls: Team of youngsters who fought against evil with the help of humans and good supernatural creatures.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.