General Fiction posted May 5, 2016 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Class Reunion

A chapter in the book Buttons

Who has the Button?

by jusylee72

       
 Who Has the Button? 


Margarite
 
Margarite couldn't quiet her mind. After studying those desicable tapes all day, the images were still fresh. 

'Those poor little boys, so innocent, so vulnerable.  Why couldn't I see it? Why couldn't I have changed it?'

Something else was in the back of her mind.  Right before he left, Jeremy complimented her.   "You are doing a great job, I know this is hard.  When I studied psychology in college, I remember thinking how can these men do these things?  I finally realized they simply have evil in their souls.  I wonder sometimes if they ever see it."

Becoming a Nun at fifteen, she never considered going to college.  Yet, now, her thoughts were changing. 

'If I had gone to college, I would have wanted to study psychology.  Observing people and their behavior fascinates me.'


Now she sat in the office connected to the large meeting room.  She could freely observe people as they entered. Knowing she would see familiar faces both pleased her and scared her. 

'I would love to see my former students but not now, not under these horrid circumstances.  I just want to be in the back and watch what happens."  

She watched as they entered, all grown up but with same mannerisms they had when they were young.  When Joe stood up to give his speech, something seemed wrong.
  
'Odd', she thought.  "This doesn't seem to be the same person I knew. Something about Joe’s confidence seemed contrived. I don't trust him.  
 
Listen to the small still voice within’,  she reminded herself.
 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 
The man from the Public Relation' offices took over the meeting. 
 
"My name is Henry Garcia. I am the Public Relations Liaison for the police department. We handed you a white card when you came through the door.  Please fill it out front and back. We will be coming around to set up individual meetings with all of you.  The smallest thing you know may help us find the truth. We know you are all upset and hurt over this revelation.  We have counselors here who will set up appointments to help you deal with the immediate shock. We need all of your cooperation. No memory is too small.  Even if you had a suspicion, tell us about it.  Please allow us to help you with it." 
 
Mary was next to the microphone.

“Would anyone who was in my class during middle and high school meet me in the church office in ten minutes? I will pick up your white card there.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Ten minutes later Mary set at the desk in the main office.  There were folding chairs for her former classmates placed around the desk. 
 
Mary recognized most of them.

Henry, the class clown turned car salesman, put on some weight but still had a great smile. 

Katherine still maintained her gorgeous figure.  She married a much older man and didn't have to work.  She spent her days at the country club and playing tennis.  Unfortunately, she was still superficial and a bit condescending.

Melissa once so painfully shy but obviously intelligent graduated with a degree in advanced Mathematics.  She worked as an actuary for GPM Life Insurance. She carried herself with more confidence now. 

Katrina worked in a children’s clothing store.  She'd been an awkward teenager. She seemed prettier with age.

Chase, the class rebel, was now a police officer. Graced with good looks and a strong body he wore the role of peace protector well. 

Elizabeth was there with her husband,  his arm draped around her chair, protectively.  His eyes showing just how much he loved her.

Mary felt a twinge of jealousy. 'No man has ever looked at me with that much admiration."

Joe impressed Mary with how much he had changed.  He used to be so shy, now he emulated masculinity and confidence.  He exhumed an air of confidence.  His dress for success suit was impeccably fitted.  

Elizabeth was there with her husband,  his arm draped around her chair, protectively.  His eyes showing just how much he loved her.

Mary felt a twinge of jealousy. 'No man has ever looked at me with that much admiration."

She quickly brought herself back to the task at hand.  

Mary began the meeting. 
 
“Thank you for coming.  I wanted to prepare you.  You will be the first people who will be contacted for interviews.  Just answer all questions with honesty.  If you suspected anything but did not know about it please tell us your suspicions.”
 
“Most of the boys knew something was wrong,” Henry spoke up in his loud salesman’s voice. “Mac Murphy preferred some students over others.  I wasn’t one of them.  I was a chubby kid, maybe that’s why."  
 
Mary was surprised when Elizabeth spoke up. 

“Many of you witnessed what happened to me.  I want you to know that I am fine now, but that it left lasting scars on me.  I don’t like public speaking.  I do want to tell my story so that others can stand up and tell theirs.  We were all once friends, let’s support each other.”   Elizabeth’s husband kept his arm around her, encouraging and lovingly. 
 
Katherine stood up. 

“I have missed all of you since high school.  Why haven't we had a reunion yet?  I am sure all of us have exciting stories to share.  I'll change that. I’ll plan it.  I have a big house on the west side.  I can accommodate everyone.” 

She continued on and on as if we were discussing the school dance, not murder and molestation.  Katherine was definitely hadn't changed much.  She still believed she was the "Belle of the Ball".  
 
When she finally stopped her chatter, Chase stood up slowly. 

“One of the reasons I became a policeman is because I needed to believe I had some power in my life.  I know I acted out a lot when you knew me.  I am too embarrassed to discuss everything.   I do want you to know that I will protect any of you and your families. I never told anyone.  Maybe if I did, this could have been a better story.  I------"

He couldn’t go on.   He seemed so strong, yet he couldn’t say another word. He'd grown into a tall handsome man. As he sat down, he looked like a child again.  A single tear ran down his face.
 
Joe once again became the center of attention.  He stood up and approached Chase.

“It was hard for me too,” Joe said, “We have a new bond now.  Let’s get to know each other better. Let’s start tonight. The Green Lantern is right around the corner.  Let’s go get a drink and some food. It’s going to be a hard few weeks." He motioned toward Mary.  "Let’s talk Mary into coming with us.”
 
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mary didn’t know where she belonged in all of this.  I am the investigator, yet I know these people.  They are part of my life.  She sought out Delaney.

 "What should I do?  Should I socialize with them?  Should I distance myself?"
 
 ‘Finally,' Delaney thought. ‘It’s about time she cleared things with me before jumping to her own conclusions.' 
 

He actually thought it would be a good idea.  He didn’t want her to go alone. He decided to join them.  He gave Mary instructions, “Listen more than talk.  Ask questions without seeming invasive. The more comfortable they feel with you the more information we will get.  Don’t go off with anyone alone.  We don’t know who we can trust.”
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Elizabeth was the only one who didn’t go to the Green Lantern. She wanted to go home and hug her children.
 
Mary and Delaney had to finish up at the church so they were the last ones to get to the tavern.  

The group sat at a large table towards the back.  Laughing and enjoying themselves, remembering good times and for now at least refusing to talk about the bad ones. 

Mary hadn’t eaten so she ordered a meal.  Delaney just ordered a tall beer.  Fifteen minutes after arriving, he got a phone call.  His boss said he needed to go to the precinct.  There was a letter there he needed to read. 
 
He pulled Mary aside.  “As soon as you are done eating I want you to leave.  Make sure you are careful.  I really don’t want to go but I've been called to go downtown.  Call me tomorrow. We will review everything.”
 
Mary went back to the table.   Joe was obviously flirting with Katherine.   The ring on her finger didn’t keep her from flirting back.  Henry was telling jokes.   Mellissa, Chase, and Katrina were talking quietly to each other.  Mary joined in. Soon they were all smiling.  No one was talking about the church or Mac Murphy. That could wait.
 
When Katherine went to the restroom, Joe got up and switched to the empty place beside Mary. 

“Mary, you really look good.  In truth, I’m embarrassed to say this, but I fell a little bit in love with you when I heard you sing in our Christmas Pageant.“ 
 
Mary blushed.  She never suspected Joe even noticed her. 

“You did?” was all she could think of to say.  He chuckled a little.

“I didn’t mean to embarrass you.  It’s been a long time.  What happened to your singing?” 
 
'Joe has a way of talking that makes me want to open up.  He asks non-demanding questions. He genuinely listens and is interested in who she I am now."

"What was it like to sing in front of thousands of people? I wish I had been there to see it."  Joe's face lit up with sincerity.
 
Katharine joined them at the end of the table.  She interjected herself into the conversation.  Mary was glad when her food came.  She was happy to have something to do.  Katherine kept going on and on about her life. 

I don’t think I have ever heard the word “I” said more by one person’, Mary thought.  
 
When Mary finished eating, she excused herself and said she needed to get home.  Joe stood up with her.   “I’ll walk you to your car.  Right now we all have to stay safe.”  

Mary remembered what Delaney told her.

"Oh, you don't have to, I will be fine."   

"No, I would feel awful letting someone as pretty as you walk out alone,  I insist."

Mary tried to convince herself Delaney wouldn't mind.  After all, It was a public parking lot, well lit.   She was sure it wouldn’t be a big deal, besides she enjoyed the idea of someone wanting to protect her. 

Her car was in the back of the lot.  He talked so softly and warmly as they approached the car. 
As she reached for the door, Joe stopped her.
 
“Mary,” Joe said gently. “I have to do something.”

He leaned down and gently, slowly, sweetly kissed her.  Then he turned and walked away without a word.
 
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe

As I walked back into the bar I began humming. ‘Once again I am the clever one. I hope Delaney likes my letter.   It is very short. Just six words.'
 
“Button, Button, Who has the Button?”

The game we played in first grade. 

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.