General Fiction posted May 3, 2016 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Jeremy and Margarite

A chapter in the book Buttons

The Tapes

by jusylee72

Jeremy and Margarite


The media followed Mac Murphy's death.  Father John had a collection of all the local newspapers on his desk.   Last week's paper,  "Beloved Priest Found Brutally Murdered."  This week, "Dead Priest Accused of Molestation." National paper - "Hidden Tapes Found in Church Apartment."

Margarite sat in the chair across from the Head Master.  "Margarite, I must make sure you understand you can not talk to the media without the Bishop's permission.  It is your responsibility to God to protect the church."

Margarite nodded. "I understand."  

"However," he continued, "we have to cooperate with law enforcement.  You have been here the longest.  We must ask you to view these tapes with a detective. You may be able to identify the young boys.  It will not be pleasant."

"If it will help, I will do it."  Margarite looked at the young man in the chair next to her.

"This is Jeremy Winters.  He works with "Crimes against children" in our precinct.   He will explain the process to you.  Please take him to the conference room.  They have already set up the equipment." 

"Yes, Father,  I will do my best."

Jeremy Winters stood and followed Margerite to the conference room.  He was handsome in a rugged way, dark hair and eyes, well-built but not overly. He wore a professional gray suit. He had a pleasant smile. He seemed embarrassed when he explained what they would be doing.
 
"Our goal is to identify these children. I will try my best to keep you from having to watch the worst parts. As soon as you know who the child might be, tell me. We will move on to a different tape at that point. No need for you to see the horror in these tapes. I have been doing this for over a year and the acts these men perform truly disgust me. Let me know if you need a break."

Margarite shook her head in agreement.

Mac Murphy labeled each tape with a sharpie - date/time, no name. The first tape was almost 15 years old. Mac Murphy was teaching the young boy a video game. The game was violent. The women characters scantily clothed would reward the boy's avatar with a kiss. Margarite did not recognize the child.

Tape two - The boy couldn't be over 8 or 9. He sat on the couch eating an ice Cream cone.  Mac Murphy's voice was soft and soothing.

"I know you don't have a father at home. That is why I know you are special. I can teach you everything a father could teach you.  However, we need to keep it a secret so that the other boys don't think I am playing favorites with you."  The same boy was recorded several times on the same tape. The recording dates were written in sharpie on the side of the cartridge. What patience this man had. There was no real touching until about the 4th recording. Margarite wasn't sure but wondered if the boy might be Glenn Patterson. Glenn's Father was in the Air Force.  He moved with his father to Germany when he was fourteen. Margarite only knew him about six months.

She didn't recognize the boys in the next 3 tapes.

The sixth boy was easy to recognize. Joe Larson. He was a big boy for his age. She remembered him as an awkward, somewhat distant child. Father Mac Murphy played him like a fiddle. "Joe, you must learn all I have to teach you.  Your father abandoned you but I never will. Our secret will be just between us." 

Little Joe was eager to please.  "Father, can I really have ice cream.  Mom never buys me any.  My favorite is chocolate chip." Each visit started with ice cream. 

Jeremy stopped it before the end of the tape.  "Do you know him?" 

"That is Joe Larson. He was in the same class as Mary." 

Having watched this filth earlier, Jeremy was relieved that he didn't have to keep going.  He knew the next part of the tape involved a game of "Naked Hide and Seek".   He wanted to protect sister Margarite from seeing i

Jeremy's inner voice spoke softly to him. 'I usually read people so easitly.  Margarite confuses me. 'How could someone so beautiful be a nun?'  She has beauty laced with a kindness he had never seen before. Many women would have refused to watch these tapes. She simply wants to help. She wanted to know who had been hurt. She was not afraid."

After a three hour session, Margarita spoke up.  "Do you think we could stop for the day. I have my duties to fulfill."

"No problem,"  Jeremy answered. "I can come back tomorrow around 10 a.m."  He opened his calendar and made a note.  He had been an Eagle Scout when he was 16.  He still lived by the motto, "Be Prepared."   He said his goodbyes and slowly walked out of the building. 

Something was bothering him.  He couldn't quite put his finger on it.  Without meaning to he said something out loud to himself,

"Jeremy, she's a nun,"

 He wasn't prepared for how he felt.  He could barely wait to see Margarite again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Margarite

Margarite didn't like what she was thinking.  "I thought I was safe from  the evil side of the world.  How can the Church betray such sweet innoncense."  Embarassment, for herself and the church confused her. 

In the United States, you have to be 18 before you can become a nun. In Mexico, Margarite gave herself to the lord when she was 15. When she first came to the school to work she was 18. She was practically the student's contemporaries. 

Today bothered her. She had never questioned her life.  She didn't want to start now. 

That wasn't the only thing bothering her. Why was she thinking about Jeremy? He was so attractive, so attentive, so caring. He wanted so much to find the victims of this crime. He was so gentle with her as they watched the tapes together. He tried to shield her from the despicable parts of the tape.

She could face the horrors of the tapes.

But what about these new feelings? Why was she so happy Jeremy was coming back again tomorrow?

In her small room, she knelt by her bed, lit a candle and prayed for forgiveness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe

I got to the meeting early.

 
"Angel Mary" is here. I can't believe she is with the police department. Why would she do that with her natural talent in music?

The first time I heard Mary sing was with the church choir. 
 
I was in the back of the church. It was my turn to update the prayer candles. The choir teacher was giving her instructions;

Stand over here.
Head high.
Back Straight.
Breathe deeply.

 Mary sang one of my favorite carols, "What Child is This".

I stopped to listen. It was so pure, innocent, simple yet beautiful.

She had on a pink cashmere sweater buttoned up just below her chin. The buttons were small and made out of pearls carved into flowers.   I renamed her "Angel Mary".   One of her buttons fell off in the church, I still have it. I secretly fell in love with her.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delaney

Delaney stood at the front of the room.

"Would everyone please take a seat."

The room was packed. The church had managed to limit the number of reporters but their presence felt suffocating.  They also weren't allowing cameras.

" We have asked you here because we have made some unpleasant and illegal discoveries that as parents and former students you have a right to know. Many of you know that Father Mac Murphy has been murdered. However, in the course of the investigation, we have found tapes that might prove Mac Muphy was also a pedophile. He may have abused you or your children. We need to talk to each and every one of you alone and find out what you know about this"

The murmurs started in the room. Husband's talking to wives. Was it our child? Former classmates were staring at each other wondering if they knew or were abused. Questions were flying and the noise level started to rise.

Everyone was surprised when Joe was the first to stand up.

"My name is Joe." He said confidently. " I have always wanted this day to come. I was abused by Father Mac Murphy from the time I was 8 until I was 12. I have spent many years trying to get over my anger, frustration, and self-doubt. Recently I decided to go public about this. I was in the process of determining how to go about it. I truly wanted to confront Father Mac now that I am a man. Now I almost feel cheated out of that chance. I will help in any way I can. I don't know who killed him but frankly, I don't blame him."

The room erupted into spontaneous applause.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Wow, this feels good', Joe thought. 'I like the new Joe.'


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.