General Poetry posted April 24, 2016 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Australian and New Zealand Army Corps

A chapter in the book Life's Observations and Reflections

Anzac Day - 25 April

by fionageorge


ANZAC Day 25 April 1915
Australian and New Zealand Army Corp
Landing at Gallipoli




Today is not a celebration
It is a commemoration
Of young lives lost at war
Australian and New Zealand Army Corp

Mostly teenagers answered the call
Volunteers they marched out proud and tall
Many of them never came back
Names engraved on a memorial plaque


Today we remember all those
Who gave their lives for us


Lest we forget



Recognized


Anzac Day falls on the 25th of April each year. The 25th of April was officially named Anzac Day in 1916.

What does 'ANZAC' stand for?
'ANZAC' stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.

On the 25th of April 1915, Australian and New Zealand soldiers formed part of the allied expedition that set out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula. These became known as Anzacs and the pride they took in that name continues to this day.

Why is this day special to Australians and New Zealanders?
On the morning of 25 April 1915, the Anzacs set out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula in order to open the Dardanelles to the allied navies. The objective w - as to capture Constantinople (now Istanbul in Turkey), the capital of the Ottoman Empire, and an ally of Germany.

The Anzacs (all volunteers - mostly teenagers) landed on Gallipoli and met fierce resistance from the Ottoman Turkish defenders. Their plan to knock Turkey out of the war quickly became a stalemate, and the campaign dragged on for eight months.

At the end of 1915, the allied forces were evacuated. Both sides suffered heavy casualties and endured great hardships. Over 8,000 Australian and 3000 New Zealand soldiers were killed. News of the landing on Gallipoli and the events that followed had a profound impact on Australians and New Zealanders at home. The 25th of April soon became the day on which Australians and New Zealanders remember the sacrifice of those who had died in the war.

Anzac Day now recognises and remembers all those who have served in conflicts and sacrifices since that first involvement by Australia and New Zealand at Gallipoli. It is our official Day of Remembrance.

This year, Vietnam veterans are leading the marches in each city in Australia, to recognise the extreme hardships they suffered, and the way they were treated
on their return to Australia. Most of these young men were conscripted into the army in the late 1960's and early 1970's. They are now recognised for what they did. Many objected the Vietman war, these soldiers did not have a choice... they were forced to go.

Lest we forget.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. fionageorge All rights reserved.
fionageorge has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.