Romance Fiction posted April 24, 2016 Chapters:  ...91 92 -93- 94... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dieter makes it to Eastern Texas

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Veintisiete, (27) Part Dos

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"He was. To make a long story short; he was one of the fifty-five delegates that went to the Convention of 1832 in San Felipe. These delegates drafted three petitions to the Mexican congress. They wanted annulment of the colonization law of 1830, which prohibited foreign settlement as well as customs reform, recognition of squatters as valid immigrants, and a separate state for Texas. So, with the belief their petitions would be approved by Santa Anna, especially since they helped him overthrow Bustamante, Gunter sent for his brother."

TODAY'S POST:

"I bet Dieter and his family couldn't wait to join Gunter. Just think of the excitement." Soni's eyes widened as she spoke. "When did they arrive?"

"Just a minute." Jim skimmed the family journal. "Says here," he ran his finger under the words, "they arrived in February 5, 1833."

"Why'd they wait almost a year?"

"Not everybody's as impatient as you." Grandfather's eyes met hers.

Jim pointed to an area in the journal. "It says Gisela gave birth to another baby in November of 1832. That might have had something to do with it."

"The Convention met during the first part of October, so arriving in February's pushing it for a young mother. They didn't have all the modern conveniences we have today. My child, be patient."

"You're right. I just want this mystery solved." Soni glanced at Jim. "Don't you dare say anything. I'm usually very patient."

Both men covered their mouths to hide their respective grins.

Soni pointed to the wall-size Texas map. "Does that book say where Dieter entered?"

"I'm guessing someplace in East Texas." Jim turned a page.

Kuruk smiled. "The Texas history lesson continues. By the mid-1830s, two things were clear to the Mexican government. One, the Indian policy was a complete failure. Two, the decision to open the province to American immigrants had backfired. Instead of moving to the interior to shield the province's core around San Antonio from Comanche attacks, most Americans stayed east of the Colorado River."

"The Comanche range was mostly West Texas. The main commercial outlet was Louisiana." Jim adjusted himself in the chair. "I'm sure Dieter stayed close to the east border. He had a growing family to raise."

"You're right. The result was a division of Texas into two distinct halves. The American-dominated eastern half experienced steady growth and developed a flourishing export-oriented cotton industry. Dieter found work and it paid good. The cotton industry spawned close to twenty new urban centers by 1835. This half was part of Mexico in name only."

"Okay. What does that have to do with us? We're in West Texas. I know this area was dominated by Tejanos."

Jim caught Soni's glance. "Exactly what does Tejano mean?"

"Basically, of Mexian-American descent."

"This area was underdeveloped compared to the eastern half."

"Why?" asked Jim.

Soni tilted her head and looked at Grandfather. "I know there were Native Americans here."

"Not just Native Americans, Soni, but angry Comanche. Raids and violence engulfed portions of western and southern Texas. Villages and farms were stripped of livestock. Agriculture deteriorated because farmers refused to work on fields; they might get attacked. Laredo lost one-sixth of its population between 1828 and 1831 due to Comanche raids. Then, in 1834, a cholera outbreak wiped out most the remaining population."

"Didn't the Apaches side with the Texans?" asked Soni.

"I guess nobody liked the Comanche." Jim closed his book.

"Don't close it yet. We have Gunter meeting with Dieter and coaxing him west with land deeds."

Both Soni and Jim sat straighter in their chairs.

Kuruk continued, "Stephen F. Austin had sold the deeds to Gunter. It just needed to be finalized."

"But we still have 125,000 missing acres." When Soni heard the front door open, she stood.



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for imagine of a map showing early Texas. This before Texas became a separate country. I want to thank all of you for sticking with me for so long. I know this novel is taking forever!!! It's not as long as it seems. I have to post short because of working full time. I hate that. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it. Twenty-eight days of school left, but who's counting. I have jury duty tomorrow. I'm hoping to have some extra reviewing time.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.