Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 16, 2016 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Running Against Time

A chapter in the book Falling Off The Edge

Falling Off The Edge - Part Six

by Ulla

Previously:

In early 1995 my aunt advised me that my adoptive mother, who I hadn't seen for more than fifteen years, had passed away. The next morning I caught the first flight out of London to attend her funeral in Copenhagen.
I left the church after the funeral, when a voice rang out. A thin, mousy haired man shouted at me saying that he was my adoptive mother's lawyer and, as I was adopted before the end of 1954 I was not to inherit anything.
I had four hours before my flight back to London, and decided to spend the time checking on my inheritance. I arrived at the second office I'd been directed to and there I was given all the help I needed. It was confimed that I was indeed elegible for inheritance. I was lucky to get an appointment with a family lawyer who had helped me before and last chapter ended when I entered her office.


Part Six


"Hello, Ulla. What can I help you with this time?"

Mrs Faber was an intimidating woman at the best of times. Her salt and pepper hair was tied back in a tight bun that, combined with the dark suit, emphasised the impression of severe authority. I gathered it was her power look, reserved for the court.

Although, when I gazed into her dark blue eyes lit up by her genuine smile, I realised that she was indeed inclined towards sincere friendliness. The beauty she must once have been was clear, and I acknowledged she was still quite the looker in her own way.

I held out my hand in greeting, thanking her for seeing me at such short notice. She held it in a firm handshake, while she motioned me to take a seat, and I lowered myself into the chair she'd indicated.

"So, tell me Ulla, what is this all about? I will admit that when I was told you only had a few hours until your flight departure and, that you needed to see me by way of urgency, if not short of an emergency, I thought it was one of the best excuses I've yet come across to coax a meeting out of me. You are, of course, lucky I didn't have to be in court this afternoon. It also helped that I've represented you before."

I saw mirth in her eyes and dared to relax a little.

"Mrs. Faber, first of all I would like to say that everything I told your secretary is the truth. Since we met last, I have moved to Great Britain and live just west of London. Well, to cut a long story short, it all started when an aunt of mine phoned me to say that my adoptive mother had died. That piece of information was only passed on to me yesterday, and I was informed that the funeral service was today. Something told me I had to attend, and now I'm glad that I did. I caught the first plane out of London earlier today."

Mrs Faber merely nodded her head indicating for me to continue.

So encouraged, I carried on telling her everything that had happened since this morning and when I'd finished she leaned back in her chair looking at me with another appreciative nod.

"Well, so that's where it stands. I now know that my adoptive parents made provisions to make sure that I would inherit under the law, but it appears that both my adoptive mother and the lawyer she seemed to have been in cahoots with would go to any length to make sure I didn't get anything.

"After everything that woman has done to me in living life, I would like to get the last word. Call me greedy if you wish."

I paused to catch my breath still not knowing whether she would take my case or not.

At this point, Mrs Faber didn't give me much to go on either. She leaned back in her chair and looked at me with an inscrutable expression, not giving anything away. Her pen tapped up and down on her legal pad on which she hadn't taken any notes. My heart sank.

"Anything else you would like to add, Ulla?"

"No ... no, I don't think there's much else I can add, even if I wished to. I've told you everything I can think of."

She smiled a wolfish smile and leaned forward in her chair.

"You've sold your case to me, and, if everything is what you're saying, we have a very strong case. I'm longing to get my hands on that lawyer of your mother's. From the sound of it he is definitely not up to any good."

For the first time, I smiled, and I mean, really smiled. I knew I was in good hands. If anybody could take care of this it would be her. I sent a silent prayer to Otto, the husband of my cousin, who had yet again come up trumps.

Mrs Faber's face softened as she watched me.

"You leave this with me. You have done all the leg work I could ask for. Now, the rest is up to me. Well done, Ulla, I'm impressed. I'll take copies of all the papers you've managed to get hold of and then you better get on and catch that plane of yours. I'll be in touch as soon as I know more, but be forewarned. You'll have to come back over to Denmark in due time."

I could have hugged her there and then and I felt the tears threatening to spill. Mrs Faber must have seen that as well, because as she stood she grabbed my hand in another firm grip and all she said was. "No need for that, Ulla."

I croaked a thank you, and I was on my way.

Another taxi, and half an hour later, I was in the airport.

My plane took off an hour later and when the flight attendant arrived at my seat asking what I would like to drink, I didn't hesitate.

"A gin and tonic, please, and could you make that a double?"


To be continued.








Recognized


Thanks a lot to Angelheart for the use of the artwork.

All names have been changed bar my own,
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ulla All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ulla has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.