Fantasy Science Fiction posted March 8, 2016 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A group of students rally behind Nancy as she gets ready.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

Daredevil Girl Supporters

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Nancy gets past the reporters and is approached by her students who have formed a support group.
Last of old Post:
As a group of reporters burst through the front door, Nancy scampered for the safety of her classroom.

"Not in there." She heard a rather loud whisper. "There are reporters waiting to trap you--they slipped past Mrs. Pierson. Come in here, it's reporter free."

Nancy looked quickly around and found the source of the voice. It was her student, Tina Alice, and she was motioning to an empty classroom close to her own. She slipped quickly inside and closed the door. There, in the otherwise empty classroom, were three more of her students sitting on top of desks and looking terribly secretive. Each had on a maroon T-shirt with the words "Daredevil Girl Supporter" emblazoned in bold pink letters. Nancy sighed deeply. It had begun. But, like her mother had said, did she really have the right to stop it?

Begin new post:


"We've already called Mrs. Pierson on my cell phone," Julia Garcia said, holding up a glowing object as proof. "She's on her way right now to kick the reporters out of your room."

Petite, pretty, and lively, Julia's family emigrated to Miltonville from Mexico not long before Julia was born. She was a virtual bundle of energy. Most of the time, she used the energy for constructive things, like doing her work or helping other students. The other times often landed her on some teacher's bad side.

"Yeah, they're pretty pushy," Tina said, rolling her eyes dramatically, "but they can't hang out here forever, but hey what do you think about our new shirts?"

"Oh, my, Daredevil Girl Supporter," Nancy said, repeating what she had already read. "Where did you get those?"

"Mrs. Pierson had them made especially for us," Rasha explained.

Rasha Rawly reminded Nancy of Tabby, of the original Daredevil Girls. It was not just that Rasha and Tabby were both African American, and both on the track team; those similarities were obvious, but there was something else, something more intangible. Maybe it was the sparkle in their eyes when they began a new task, or their indomitable spirit. Whatever it was was more in force today than at any other time, and it made Nancy smile.

"They are nice," Nancy said graciously, "but how did you possibly get Mrs. Pierson to order them for you?"

"It was her idea," Belle Conner explained in her usual matter-of-fact way. Like her twin brother, Billy, Belle was larger than a lot of the other kids, and, like Billy, didn't mind being stared at. She would just stare back until they looked away, or ignored them.

"She paid for them herself," Rasha added with a shrug.

"That's...odd..." Nancy began.

"I know, right?" Belle said. "I think she's as excited as we are."

"Yeah," Tina added. "She even set us up to be a crew for you. We all have specific responsibilities."

"My job is handing out programs, and seating people," Belle said, pointing to a box full of colorful papers. "Mrs. Pierson assigned some sixth graders to help me, but she assured me I'm in charge."

"I get to keep up with the reporters," Rasha said proudly. "I'm to take them where they are supposed to go and try to make sure they don't wander where they aren't."

"Whoa," Nancy agreed smiling. "That may be the hardest job of all."

"Oh, I'm not too scared," Rasha said. "I'm pretty good at talking, myself, and I do have Mrs. Pierson for backup."

"Good, I'd keep that cellphone close by. Julia, what's your job?"

"Oh, I get to help Coach Brewer in the sound booth," she explained. "As you all know, I'm going to be an actress someday, and I am trying to learn everything I can about theater. Coach Brewer says he'll explain the importance of sound and lighting, and all that stuff."

"I can see where you would enjoy that," Nancy said, nodding, "and what about you, Tina?"

"Well, basically, I'm the leader of the whole support crew," Tina answered. "I'll coordinate what the others are doing, and I'll be your personal assistant."

"I'm sure I'll need that," Nancy admitted, and then closed her eyes and leaned against a desk. "Look, I know I don't seem super enthusiastic about all of this attention, and about telling the stories and all, but..."

"We know," Rasha said sympathetically. "We've sort of pushed you into it, but I promise it'll turn out great. It really does mean a lot to us."

"I know," Nancy said, "and I do want to thank all of you for what you've done to prepare. You've clearly gone way out of your way."

"You're quite welcome," Tina said. "I guess you can say we are sort of like the new Daredevil Girls."

"Are you now?" Nancy asked with a bemused look in her eyes. She had definitely seen this coming. "You're a couple of people short, you know. We had six members before it was all over."

"Well," Tina said. "There is one more. Billy, come on out from behind the desk."

Billy rose to his feet, and then strutted out with a huge smile on his face. He stuck out his chest, showing off a royal blue shirt with gold lettering.

"Daredevil Guy," he announced, pointing at his shirt for emphasis. "No burgundy and pink for me."

"So I see, but what I don't see is the word, supporter, on it," Nancy said.

"No, ma'am."

"Hmmm," Nancy began, her brow creasing in mock disapproval. "Oh, well, why not? I know a young man who would be thrilled to see it. His name is Bruce and he was the only male member of our group. You have no idea the grief we put him through."

"I think I might," Billy disagreed, casting a sideways glance at his sister and the other girls in the room, "but I won this one."

"On another note," Belle interrupted. "Do you know what Miss Dreary said about the assembly?"

"Oh, yeah," Julia added. "I can't believe it."

"What now? Is she afraid someone will be chewing gum or texting while they are in there?" Nancy asked of her least favorite colleague. The feeling, she knew, was mutual.

"She said she thinks the whole thing is a waste of good teaching time," Belle said, "and that she's going to give us extra homework to make up for it."

"Who cares?" Billy said. "It's worth it in many ways, not the least of which is getting on the old bat's nerves."

"Billy!" Nancy chided. "That's not nice."

"No, but true," Tina giggled.

The others giggled, too, but were abruptly stopped by loud voices emanating from the hall. First, and loudest, was the distinctive voice of the principal ordering interloping reporters out of the building at once. Opposing her was the plaintitive wails of the media begging to stay. Nancy had almost forgotten they were there, but was happy to hear their retreating footsteps. This was followed by a rather resounding knock on the door.

"Come on out, it's safe," Mrs. Pierson said, unlocking the door with her master key. She swung the door open and stepped back to allow them access to the hall. Nancy smiled as she noticed Mrs. Pierson sporting her own, rather oversized, maroon t-shirt. On the front were the words, Daredevil Girl Boss, written in pink.

"I like the shirt," Nancy said, stifling a snicker, "and thanks for getting them for the kids, too. You really didn't have to go to all this trouble."

"No trouble at all," Mrs. Pierson said, smiling broadly. "I even had one made for you. Go look on your desk."

Cringing, Nancy slipped into her room and walked over to the desk in front, her footsteps echoing on the tiled floor. There in plain, agonizing sight, was a burgundy and pink t-shirt. Across the front were stamped the very words Nancy thought never to wear on her body again. They said, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, just like the one she had worn as a youth. It took her off-guard, and for a moment she was overwhelmed.

"Well, put it on," Mrs. Pierson insisted when she saw Nancy hesitate. "Don't just stand there and stare. Are you a Daredevil Girl, or not?"

"Apparently so," Nancy sighed. "It's not like I've got much other choice. If I put it on, will this day just go ahead and be over with?"

"Not quite, my dear," Mrs. Pierson smiled smugly. "The assembly doesn't begin until after lunch."



Recognized


Special thanks for the artwork, " Teacher's pet", by Photopeb


Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:
Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill
Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother
Mrs. Pierson: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal
Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.

Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes
Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde
Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair
Billy: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair
Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American
Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister
Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American
Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage
Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangly, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.

Daredevil Girls: Team of youngsters who fought against evil with the help of humans and good supernatural creatures.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.