War and History Fiction posted February 20, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A short story

The Doctor on Elm

by jmdg1954





It was June 1950. The mild border clashes between North and South Korea began to intensify. Seventy-five thousand North Korean soldiers crossed over into South Korea where they were met with very little resistance. This invasion was the first military action since the end of WWII and the beginning of the Cold War. The same summer, America's troops and its allies entered the war in defense of South Korea. By 1952 the war between North and South Korea had escalated and American troops led by General Douglas MacArthur, were in full force aiding the citizens of South Korea and their country.

Cheryl Pierce left the doctor's house on Elm Street and walked gracefully along the tree- lined sidewalk. She looked perfect and was satisfied with her appearance. Her powder blue poodle skirt accentuated her figure and cascaded to just below her knees. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a tight French knot without a single hair out of place.

The Korean war raged on for what seemed to be an eternity. Cheryl's father, a Marine Lieutenant and career military man left for the war as soon as possible. He swore to fight for their cause against those commies. Having already lost her mother at a young age, Cheryl prayed daily for God to return her father safely.

At last, Cheryl reached her father's house where she and her husband Robert lived. The afternoon turned chilly as the sun began to set. She was glad to be home. She stepped into the parlor and saw Robert in an armchair, reading a book. He glanced at her and smiled. He stood and reached his arms out for her. Giving her a hug, he put a hand to her now slightly round belly. "What did the doctor say?"

"He said the baby is fine and that I am as healthy as can be."

Robert continued to smile. He looked into her eyes. She could see how happy he was about being a new Dad. Then with slight trepidation in his voice, and no smile he asked Cheryl to sit.

He pulled an envelope from the coffee table and took out the letter. He hesitated for a moment, then continued.

"This came from the draft board." Handing her the letter, "I've been drafted into the army."

Cheryl shrieked. "But-but we're just starting out." Her voice shook. "I thought that after two years of begging my father to let the two of us get married, our life would finally be settled. Isn't there any way you can get out of this?"

Robert answered, "I'm afraid not. It's the draft. It's the law."

Her hands shook as she held the letter. "Robert, think of the baby. If you love me, please get out of the draft. Break an arm. Fake an illness, do something." She began to sob.

Robert sat next to her, resting her head on his shoulder. "Cheryl?"

"What?"

"Name the child after me; name it Robert. I'll come back as soon as I can. I promise."

Cheryl smiled knowing that Robert lived by his word. He never broke a promise. She pressed his hand to her belly. Unknown to either of them, the baby was a girl.

And unknown to both of them, the promise that Robert had just made would be the only promise he would ever break. He died a hero saving children from a burning building. Her father flew him home in a body bag.

Finally, in July 1953 an armistice was reached and the Korean War came to an end. Near thirty-four thousand American soldiers lost their lives during the war. The Korean peninsula is still divided today.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.