General Fiction posted February 4, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An entry in the What If Contest (Please read author's notes)

Travelers Beware

by ~Dovey

John woke on January 10th and checked his messages. According to his email, he hadn't won the lottery, but his flight to D.C. was on time, and this morning that seemed to balance out. Within half an hour he was walking out of the coffee shop on the corner with his suitcase in one hand and an Americano in the other. The car would arrive to take him to the airport any minute, which was perfect, because it was a typical Seattle Sunday morning and the slight drizzle was threatening to become a downpour.

His plan to arrive at the airport by 7:30 was right on schedule and traffic was light at this early hour. To his surprise there wasn't even a line at the counter when he arrived for check in. As he approached the automated kiosk a lovely young lady indicated that he should step up to her podium instead.

"Good morning, Sir, are you checking just the one bag this morning? I'll need your ID."

"Good morning, Linda," John replied with a smile as he read her nametag and offered his driver's license.

"I show you on flight 723 to Dulles this morning, Mr. Smith, is that correct?"

"Yep, the Capitals are playing the Canucks this week and I'm going to be there."


"That's excellent. I have you all checked in, Mr. Smith. Oh, and happy birthday," she said as she handed back the ID card and boarding pass, "Your flight will begin boarding at 9:15 at gate D-2. It looks like your lucky day. You've been selected for the TSA Precheck, when you get to security you may bypass the line and follow the signs, they will get you through quickly. Enjoy your flight."

"Thank you, Linda, have a great day."

The TSA Precheck line was considerably shorter and John was thinking that perhaps he'd won the lottery today after all. He noticed that neither of the ladies in front of him had been asked to remove their shoes and the security attendant had even instructed them to put their carry-on bags on the conveyer belt and had specifically told them they didn't have to remove any electronics or liquids.

He was feeling pretty special at turning just thirty-five today and being given the privilege of a man twice his age as he was hurried through the scanner with barely two questions from the security personnel. The next two people behind him didn't appear to be a couple, but given the comments he overheard as they collected their things, he thought the player behind him just might get some action if they had the same destination on their itinerary. They had apparently hit it off in line at the coffee cart in the lobby and were engaged in a flirtatious exchange.

John stopped to grab a breakfast sandwich and his second cup of coffee before heading to the gate. Upon his arrival at D-2 he was surprised to see his name listed with four others on the board at the kiosk. Curiosity won over his rumbling stomach and he approached the attendant.

"Hi, I'm John Smith. I see I'm listed on your board. Is there a problem?"

The young attendant flashed him a brilliant smile and answered, "No, not at all, Mr. Smith. Quite the opposite actually. If I could just see your ID, I'm authorized to offer you an upgrade to first class on your flight today."

John set down his breakfast and fished his ID from his wallet for the third time in an hour. This really was turning out to be his lucky day. Emily, as stated on her nametag, verified his information and exchanged his boarding pass for one with a new seat assignment in first class.

"Since you are travelling to D.C. today, along with your upgrade, the airline would like to extend our thanks for choosing us. We have a free gift for you to keep and enjoy on the flight as a token of our appreciation. It is the new G-Tab 1Touch tablet, charged and pre-loaded for your convenience. I understand there is even a special message from the President of the United States. It would seem that you've won the Golden Ticket today, Mr. Smith."

"Wow, what an honor. Thank you so much, Emily. And to think I woke up expecting this to be just like any other day." John returned his ID to his wallet and claimed his prize. His stomach reminded him that he was still hungry and he shifted his attention to the breakfast sandwich once he found a seat at the gate. A short line had formed behind him at the podium and it wasn't until he had boarded that he realized they were all the same people who had been with him in the TSA Precheck line.

Settling into their seats directly behind him were the man and woman he had since dubbed as, 'The Player and his new girl.' Across the aisle was the pretty blonde, who he decided must be an art student, by the size and title of the book she had just removed from her bag. A few more passengers had taken advantage of the early boarding call and were getting situated in the first class cabin.

John was exploring the features on his new tablet when he heard her voice, "Excuse me, sir. I have the window seat next to you."

He glanced up from the screen and met the most piercing green eyes he had ever seen. Her long hair was pulled back with a gold clip that set off her natural auburn accents. Given her stylish, yet casual attire and demeanor he decided she was probably on a business trip.

"Of course," John unbuckled and stood to let the lady into her seat. "Would you like me to put your case in the overhead bin?"

She hesitated a moment but conceded to his kindness, "Thank you, but please be gentle, my life's work is in there."

John stored her computer case carefully and settled back into his seat thinking perhaps this five hour flight would be interesting after all. He noticed that she had the same tablet he had been given and thought that would be a good way to strike up conversation.

Once they were both buckled in and comfortable he introduced himself, "Hi, it looks like we'll be here awhile, I'm John."

She looked from the tablet to him and with the realization that she had nowhere else to go replied, "I'm Jordan, nice to meet you."

Indicating their two tablets, John noted the obvious, "Looks like it is both our lucky day."

"I know, I was completely surprised. To be honest, this is the longest flight I've ever taken and I was planning to work on my book presentation, but I think I'll just have some fun exploring this new device instead."

Not wishing to be upstaged by his own opening line in drawing attention to the tablets, John continued the conversation, "A book presentation sounds interesting, what's it about? I've always liked to read."

Jordan flushed slightly, "The book's about coping with the death of a loved one, written after I lost my husband, three years ago. It's my first book, actually, so I'm kind of nervous about the release. So nervous, in fact, that's how I ended up on this flight, it was all a mix up. One pre-arranged book signing was included in the contract with the publishing firm. I had just specified Washington as the location, thinking anywhere in Washington State would be fine, and they booked me for Washington, D. C. It was too late to change, so here I am."

"You are far too pretty of a lady to be a widow, I'm so sorry for your loss," John replied, almost surprising himself with the sentimental sincerity he could hear in his own voice. His dad sprang to mind, this trip was his tribute to their annual tradition and would be the first NHL game he'd attended since losing him two years before.

Blushing, Jordan murmured a thank you and started to revert back to the tablet, but thought better of her response, "We knew he couldn't recover from his illness. It was actually Nathan who encouraged me to begin the book in his final days. In a way, it is a legacy, to him and our marriage, and it was therapeutic for me to write about picking up the pieces and starting my life over alone. Today is one more chapter in my new beginning, and it is starting well. An adventure in a new city, launching a new career, and flying first class, what more could I wish for?"

"Perhaps dinner with someone who admires your strength and courage?" John offered hopefully.

"Perhaps," Jordan smiled shyly and offered him a look at her tablet screen, "Did you see this message from the President?"

From across the aisle came a timid voice, "Hi, I didn't mean to be listening or anything, but I got one of the tablets too," the young art student began, "Sorry, how rude of me, my name is Arabella, but people just call me Bella usually. I was wondering, if you decide to go to the President's reception at the White House, would you mind if I join you? I don't know anyone in D. C."

John had yet to read the invitation from the President and the three enjoyed an amicable conversation while the ladies filled him in on what they had gleaned from the message on the tablet.

"It says here that if we can fit it into our schedules, we are invited to be guests of the President at a special press conference tomorrow night, and attend a reception at the White House." Bella elaborated.

"Hey, we got that invite, too," the Player and his new girl chimed in unison from behind John's seat.

"Kickin' it with the President, oh Hellz yeah, Rick D will be there. That's me, by the way, remember that, I be famous someday," the Player introduced himself.

"I'm Clarice," the new girl volunteered, "I'm headed to D. C. for the Peace Walk. I can't believe we get to meet the President, too."

The conversation got lost to the normal flight activities of beverage and meal service, the couples reverted to their private conversations, and Bella resumed reading her art book for the duration of the flight. The plane disembarked on arrival and everyone clustered together once again at the baggage claim carousel. Immediately to the side of the carousel were a selection of limo drivers holding up signs with the names of their passengers.

"Hey guys, you're never going to believe this," Bella was almost too excited to get her words out, "It looks like there's a limo waiting for us."

John and Jordan were chatting about their dinner plans when Bella interrupted. She immediately caught the attention of Clarice and Rick D, as well. Immediately to their left was a chauffeur holding a placard with all of their names listed.

"Golden ticket, indeed," John remarked, turning in the direction the chauffer indicated, "After you, my ladies."

"Your baggage has been collected and stowed and special accommodations have been made for your trip. Would you be so kind as to follow me?" The chauffer indicated the closest set of doors where six limos could be seen through the glass.

"Hellz yeah, let's do this."

"I'm in," Clarice exclaimed, "I can't wait to meet the President."

"All in due time, ma'am," the driver introduced himself, "My name is Anthony and I'm here to take care of whatever you need during your stay. I have your itineraries in the car."

"Well, thank you, Anthony," John replied, he felt as if he had become the spokesman for the group, "Lead the way."

Jordan had so far been too stunned to say much, "John, are you sure about this? I mean, isn't this weird?"

"Well, it could be fun. It isn't every day you get an invitation from the President. I suppose we can always refuse the hospitality if we don't like the accommodations, but so far, what's not to like?"

"I guess you're right, we'll see."

After securing his passengers, Anthony removed a cell phone from his pocket and pushed a red button. His call was connected automatically.

"Sir, this is Anthony," He stood up straighter, feeling as if someone might be watching, "Seattle has arrived and is being transported to their accommodations, along with Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, Santa Fe, and Samoa. Any further instructions?"


"Excellent work, Anthony. Make sure that they all get checked in and arrive promptly for the press conference tomorrow evening. That will be all."


"Thank you, sir."

 

Presidential Address:


The following statement has been issued by the President to all media outlets:

"Tonight I have come to address you about new measures concerning the Real ID Act. As of January 10th, we have twenty-three states that are compliant with the new measures and I thank them for their expediency. There are twenty-six territories and/or states who have been granted an extension until October 10th, and one state that holds an extension until June. The remainder of the states are now non-compliant. Based on this factor, it is within the scope of the Federal Government to hold anyone from the states of Washington, Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, and the territory of American Samoa for questioning until such time that their proper identification is established to the satisfaction of the Homeland Security department. Anyone attempting to travel from or holding ID from these states is subject to these measures. Failure to produce a valid Real ID card may warrant incarceration at a Federal Detention Center. I strongly urge the remainder of non-compliant states to rectify this situation immediately. Further extensions will not be granted."

John's heart sunk at the announcement and he stood there stunned.  That was it, the party was over.

He managed to hug Jordan and whisper in her ear before being led away, "I'm sorry, I don't think they'll allow us to refuse the accommodations now."
 



What If? contest entry


What If?

For this contest you are presented with a "what if" for your character. What if your character won the lottery. The catch - the lottery can not be anything positive (like winning money).

This is a work of fiction, but what if...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.