Romance Fiction posted January 18, 2016 Chapters:  ...77 78 -79- 80... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni and Jim's plan goes into action.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Veinticuatro, (24) Part Dos

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Soni grabbed the two horses' reins and gave one to each dog. She slowly and with a few words and hand motions explained what she wanted them to do. Then Goliath and Mack, with the reins in their mouths continued down the trail.

"Those two are amazing." Jim watched them. "We'd better get to the cave."

Soni followed.

As Jim entered, Soni heard a horse's hoof click on a rock, and then she ducked behind a boulder. She heard a rider close. Man, he's close. It's amazing. He swears in English.


TODAY'S POST:
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
PART 2

The urge to peek around the boulder was strong, but Soni decided it would be taking too much of a risk. I've heard that voice, but where? If I could only get a glimpse of him. He talks like he's charge. She raised up, but changed her mind. Are there three or four men? I'm not sure. She glanced toward the cave. Maybe Jim will get a good look at them. Our prisoner hasn't caught up with them. Why? Maybe he's afraid they'll kill him for letting Jim escape.

Soni removed her neckerchief and dried the perspiration from her face. Boy, it's hot. I hope the dogs are okay. She strained to hear. Did he say Littleton's name? I wish he'd repeat that again. I didn't hear everything.

She leaned her back against the boulder. How's he acquainted with them? Could he be on the take? But why's he bothering us? We never met him before he came to the house. None of this makes sense.

Soni gently moved her head to the left when she heard a rattling sound. She gulped when she saw a coiled snake. Slowly moving her right arm to the inside of her boot, she removed her knife. In her next action, she threw the knife and split the rattler in two.

*****

Jim knelt down at the entrance of the cave, hoping to avoid being seen, and peered out. He held up his phone. Wish I could get a better picture. This one will have to do. I'll take a few more. Maybe one will be good enough to enlarge, so we can identify the men. Jim sent the photos back to the office with a text giving directions.

Within moments, a return text said, "You expect me to enlarge this enough to ID these men? Right!"

"You work miracles. I need them now," Jim returned.

"I only have their backs and their heads are in front of the ones facing this direction. How can I run a facial ID with this?"

"Miracles?"

"By the way, who's this gorgeous gal?" A photo of Soni leaning her back against the boulder was returned.

"My cohort, the one who keeps getting me into these messes. Just do your job!" Jim shoved his phone into his pocket. The one who doesn't believe a word I say, and thinks I'm a scoundrel. That one. How'd that photo get sent, anyway? Kuruk, are you at work, again?

Jim shielded his eyes from the sun and watched the four men. "The longer they hang around, the better chance they have of discovering Soni," he said under his breath.

His eyes were drawn to her. "She's one gorgeous lady." He grinned. "Also bossy, stubborn, way too much of a risk-taker, brave, stands up for what she believes, too intelligent for her own good." He picked up a pebble and tossed it away. "How can someone be too smart?" He paused. "When it gets us into messes like this, that's how."

With a smile on his face, Jim raised his hat toward Soni. "OohRah, Soni! I've loved every minute."

"Damn!" whispered Jim. "They saw me."



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for of an image of desert rocks, much like the ones Soni could be hiding behind. I appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I do want to mention that my romances have a plot. I don't do the boy meets girl and they jump into bed and have passionate sex. To me that's lust and I prefer to write romances where the couple work to find lasting, unconditional love. I do NOT redefine each character in every post. I don't describe the physical features of my characters in every post. Please remember this is part of a much longer chapter, normally about a fourth of a chapter.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.