Fantasy Science Fiction posted January 15, 2016 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Nancy is reminded of her motivation to fight evil.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

Daredevil Girl Motto

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
This story is a young adult fantasy about a group of young people who fight against evil supernatural beings with the help of humans and good supernaturals.
End of Last Post:
"Well," Mrs. Pierson began, leaning back in her chair, which groaned loudly in protest. "I was wondering if you would consider sharing some of your stories at an assembly, say, once a month. I hear from your students that you are a great storyteller, and it would mean a lot to our kids."

"You want me to tell Daredevil Girl stories to the whole school? Are you kidding me?"

"Of course I'm not. I'm not the kidding type. You aren't suggesting that you, the great Nancy Jordan, are scared are you?"

"No, ma'am, I'm terrified. You have no idea what can of worms you are opening."




Continuing here:

"You would, of course, receive additional compensation in the form of a stipend," Mrs. Pierson added quickly.

"It's not that I couldn't use the money," Nancy said thoughtfully. "I mean we are all struggling these days, but you have to understand fighting evil creatures is hard work with little to no reward."

"Reward?" Mrs. Pierson asked with raised eyebrows. "Hmm, you said the thrill of the chase wasn't your motivation. Was it money, then? Is that why the great Nancy Jordan, leader of the Daredevil Girls, left the group?"

"Of course not, but I grew up and had to find a way to make a real living."

"So you became a teacher."

"Yes."

"Well, that reinforces your statement about money not being a motivating factor," she smiled.

"You're right there," Nancy said, nodding to the common joke about teachers being underpaid, "but I do have a steady job, and I'm living an adult's life."

"That you are, and doing a great job at it, too, but being a Daredevil Girl had to have been exciting."

"It was that."

"And very scary..." Mrs. Pierson continued, a lilt in her voice betraying an attempt to draw information from her reluctant employee.

"Of course it was," Nancy said, not taking the bait, "but not as scary as standing in front of a group of people and telling my stories."

"I hear that. Well, to get back to the point, will whatever reasons you had for quitting prevent you from telling your stories at the assembly? The Daredevil Girls changed the world as we knew it. Don't you want to pass your legacy to a new generation?"

"I don't know," Nancy hesitated.

"Don't do it for me, or even for yourself," Mrs. Pierson appealed. "Do it for the Tina Alice's of this school. In these days and times, kids need someone to look up to. They need to know that someone ordinary like them was able to do the extraordinary. They need to know not everyone hides from reality behind TV's and video games; that someone somewhere stood up to evil and would not yield. They need to feel they are not helpless. Now isn't that why you and your friends first started the Daredevil Girls club?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe? Is that what it says in your Daredevil Girl motto?"

"What do you mean?" Nancy asked opening her eyes wide in disbelief.

"You know, that Daredevil Girls poem thing that y'all always recited," Mrs. Pierson said, leaning forward in her chair and smiling sweetly. "It was quite famous a few years back. We heard it on TV, saw it posted on billboards, and even listened to little kids repeating it on the playground."

"Yes, I remember, but I haven't thought about it in years."

"Would you do me a favor and recite it for me now?"

"You've got to be kidding me," Nancy protested.

"Not at all. I would be deeply honored to hear those words come from the lips of a real Daredevil Girl. We'll just see if the word maybe appears anywhere in it."

Yielding to the strangeness of the day, Nancy rose to her feet, her heart pounding with such force she could actually see her necklace bouncing against her chest. She had not uttered these words aloud since leaving Bunker Hill. Never-the-less, she raised her chin and began to chant.

We're the Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill
We never ran from a devil and we never will.
We don't take drugs and we don't start fights
We mind our parents, and we come home at night.
We chase away evil wherever we will
We're the Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill.


The room grew quiet as though the wall themselves were listening. The words reverberated in Nancy's heart. How had she let them die away in her life so easily? How had one so brave let time and heartbreak take over and dull her sense of duty?

"No, Mrs. Pierson," Nancy admitted softly, "The word maybe is nowhere in our motto, nor will it ever be. I will take your challenge."



Recognized


This book is dedicated to my late father, Paul Shannon, who originally invented the Daredevil Girl stories as a way to teach my sister and I values without sounding like that was what he was doing. While I have forgotten the specific tales, their spirits live on in this series. Many of you know about my father and the demons he fought, but he is, still, my inspiration.


Nancy Jordan: Leader of the original Daredevil Girls, and currently a middle school science teacher.
Tina: A small, but outspoken, student in her class.
Billy: Another, larger, and not as tactful student in her class.
Belle: Billy's twin sister
Mr. Brewer: Coach and romantic interest of Nancy's
Mrs. Pierson: School Principal
Miltonville Middle School: Setting of a large part of the book, and where Nancy works
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.