Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 7, 2016 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An Octogram

A chapter in the book Animated Stills

The Demon's Hand

by Treischel


The Demon's Hand is on the land,
and won't let go.
He knows that we don't understand.
So things that grow
are in his grasp, 'cause we forgot
our roles are to not let it rot.
He's moving in to run the show,
and won't let go.

The Demon's Hand is taking Earth,
and soon we'll know
too late, to not ignore its worth.
For long ago,
He promised that he would take it,
if we humans failed to make it.
He's got control, to our great woe,
and won't let go.






So beware! If we don't take care of our planet, Satan will take it over. The signs are already there.

I saw this tree and it reminded me of a deformed hand reaching out of the ground to grasp it. That became the inspiration for this poem. So it is an ekphrastic poem. It will also become one of my Animated Stills.

So this poem is an Ekphrastic Octogram/Animated Still.
Ekphrastic is a poem that is written based on the attached image. So, the image came first and was the inspiration.
The Octogram is a style of poetry invented by Fanstorian Sally Yocom (S.Yocom). It consists of two stanzas of eight lines each, with a very specific syllable count and rhyme scheme.
Syllable count is 84848884, repeat on second stanza.
Rhyme scheme: aBabccbB ababddbB, where B repeats same text.
No more than 16 lines.
The tempo is tetrameter on the 8 count line, and dimeter on the 4 count line, but not necessarily iambic.
Animated Stills are poems where inanimate objects take on human, animal, or spirit forms, traits, or articles. They are derived from Photographs I have taken, that have moved me to write a poem associated with it.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on January 30, 2012.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.