Mystery and Crime Fiction posted December 2, 2015 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Tone Jenner calls Professor Dungston

A chapter in the book Drinking Problem -- The Book

Ransom

by Brett Matthew West

Professor Dungston felt his right hand tightly grasping the receiver of the phone. How he wished it was around Tone Jenner's throat instead! In his wildest imagination he could not believe what he was being told.

He had known Tone almost all of the boy's life. For God's sake, he was one of Jonathan's best friends. How could something like this be happening? Insanity. That was the only explanation the Professor could come up with.

Locoitis had captured Tone's mind. There was no other way it could possibly be. The Professor also knew a crazy person is liable to do anything at all. To anybody. Even to his son.

"Don't make this have to turn ugly, Professor," Tone threateningly warned the scientist.

Then he said, "I don't want to hurt Jonathan. But, I will. All I care about is the cold, hard, cash. One million dollars."

"Tone, what makes you think I have that kind of money just laying around waiting for me to give it to you?" Professor Dungston attempted to reason with his caller.

"Spare me the theatrics, Professor," Tone replied callously, "Jonathan's told me all about your little cash cow, and it's time for you to milk it dry. If you know what's good for Jonathan!"

The Professor knew exactly what Tone was talking about. He paused momentarily before speaking.

"Come on, Professor Dungston," Tone began again. Then, added, "You have the money. And, I have Jonathan. Sounds like a fair trade to me."

"That money belongs to the university, Tone," Professor Dungston told him, "it's not mine."

"Oh, but, you can get your hands on all of it, Professor. Any time you want to," Tone reminded him, "and, for Jonathan's sake, I know how badly you want to get your hands on that money. My money!"

There was silence on the line before Professor Dungston said, "Be reasonable, Tone. If I steal that money the university has earmarked for excursions I could lose everything."

"Big deal!" was all Tone said.

Then, he stated without any concern for the consequences the Professor was considering, "So, you lose your tenure, Professor. Maybe even do a little stretch in prison. That's still better than never seeing Jonathan again!"

Caught between a rock and a hard place, Professor Dungston replied with, "What if I just call the authorities, and have them pay you a little visit, Tone?"

"Professor, you really do not want to be that stupid!" Tone coldly interjected, promising, "Because, if I see one law officer anywhere near my cabin, I swear to you that I will kill Jonathan on the spot!"

Then, he demanded, "Sayonara! Kapish?"

The Professor readily understood Tone's threat. He hesitated.

That was all Tone Jenner needed to ask him the haunting question of, "Does Gail Stevenson mean anything to you, Professor? It should. It definitely should."

"You?" the Professor responded in kind at the unexpected confession he just heard.

"But, they'll never pin that one on me," Tone boasted, stating, "it's your DNA they'll find. Not mine."

A slight pause, and he said, "She told me all about your little adventures on the high seas, Professor...one knife stab at a time! My, my, but wasn't that kinky?"

Tone heartily laughed out loud, then asked, "Who'd ever think a pillar of society, such as yourself, was into whips and chains? Nice touch, Professor. Great fatherly example you're setting there for Jonathan. Great example indeed."

And, finally Tone solemnly vowed, "If you do not produce my money, Professor, sweet, innocent, Jonathan will gladly be added to that list!"

Defeated, the Professor said, "Tone, I'll get the money. But, if you as much as harm one hair on my son's blond head I will hunt you down no matter where I have to find you!"

"Don't threaten me, Professor. You can't win!" Tone retorted, reminding the person he conversed with, "I have what you treasure most. Perhaps I should send one of his ears to you overnight express. Just because I can."

Flabbergasted, the Professor recollected his thoughts. He checked his boiling hot temper knowing Jonathan would be the one hurt if he did not get a grip on reality.

"Tone, please. I'm asking you from the bottom of my heart not to hurt my son," the Professor calmly said, adding, "he's never done anything to you, except be your friend."

"Spare me the tears, Professor," Tone unhesitantly remarked, "48 hours. That's all the time you have to come up with my cash!"

Then he repeated himself, saying, "I'll call you with instructions on how we'll make the exchange in exactly 48 hours. And, again, Professor. No Police, or I will not be responsible for what happens to Jonathan!"

"I'll expect your call," was all the Professor said.

Disdain for Tone Jenner raging deep inside him, he hung up the phone...numb.

In Montana, Tone Jenner plopped back into his favorite chair.

Proud of himself, he popped the top on another beer, knowing he had beaten the Professor on all fronts.

This was going way too easy.


@Copyrighted December 2, 2015 by Brett Matthew West
All Rights Reserved
No portion of this story, or its storyline, may be reproduced in any manner without the written approval of the copyright holder





Locoitis -- Professor Dungston's word for mental illness







Hillbilly's Hideout, by Loyd C. Taylor, chosen to compliment my little story.

So, thanks, Loyd C. Taylor for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little tale.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.