Horror and Thriller Fiction posted December 1, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
When the Earth opens up the little kiddies disappear

San Pedro Fault

by Brett Matthew West


Greetings to all my little readers out there in Nightmareland:

Doctor I.B. Howler here once again.

Been a while.

But, I am back with a brand new Nightmare just for all the little kiddies to enjoy.

So, make sure you have a big people read this one to you tonight, right before you shut your little peepers to go to sleep.

Till next time!

*****************************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************************

It was Saturday afternoon and the San Pedro Recreational Park was buzzing. That was nothing new. The park was the favorite playground in the town for families to take their children for some quality play time together.

The tremors started way down low in the ground, with just a slight shake. The youngsters in the park could feel them. However, living on the San Pedro Fault, they thought nothing about them.

When the slide crashed to the ground with a loud banging noise, you can bet that grabbed their attention a little bit more. Still, most of them continued playing their games of tag, chasing each other around the park, and swinging on the swingset.

Earthquakes in these parts were common place occurrences. Occasionally, they may register 2.0 on the Richter Scale, which most of the little kiddies knew nothing about, but that really was not something to run home to mommy over.

A hardy stock, the children, and their families, had lived in the West Chester Mountains all their lives, and through some powerful earthquakes before. A little shake, rattle, and roll was not going to get the better of them having their fun.

On and on they played, and the park stayed full of action. Amazingly, when you live with something all your life you kind of grow immune to what Mother Nature is telling you.

Several more tremors shook the park, and the ground cracked open.

Up from the newly formed fissure the first one appeared, then was followed by several more of its kind. They stood about the size of a full grown man, and had tentacle-like arms. Gills that opened and closed repeatedly filled the sides of their oblong faces.

The creatures scurried about on six legs. They had feet that pointed inward like they had been hanging on a horse, and claw-shaped hands, with pinchers that were used for shredding.

They possessed fangs as sharp as razor wire, and their appetite for flesh, especially human flesh, was insatiable. The children who had been playing in the park, would soon, much to their chagrine, realize this.

Marching like ants parading at a picnic, the creatures shook the earth as their columns advanced. Like termites, they devoured everything in their path, including trees, rocks, and bushes. Soon, they had their sights set on the little kiddies in the park.

The soldiers of destruction would not be stopped. Upon their approach, terror and panic gripped the kiddies. Each one of them knew they would soon be a tasty morsel for these uninvited guests.

Anguished screams could be heard for miles around as one by one the victims succumbed to their fate. After each snack was consumed a loud, raucous, burp followed, emitting from the beast that feasted on the little kiddie.

The playground, and its occupants, eliminated from existence, the monstrosities reformed in two columns. Their leader at the point. Ravenous eaters, the monsters turned their sights on the village at the bottom of the hill.

Their advancement would be swift and sure. As the earthquake tremors raged on, they descended, leaving a swath of annihaltion in their wake.

For centuries their kind had abided deep inside the crust of the planet. Out of sight, out of mind, they had planned their attack carefully.

Mankind was no longer at the top of the food chain.

Soon, world domination would be theirs.

The tremors continued as the creatures advanced.

Sleep tight all my little readers!



@Copyrighted December 1, 2015 by Brett Matthew West
All Rights Reserved
No portion of this story, or its storyline, may be reproduced in any manner without the written approval of the copyright holder




Doctor Howler believes his Nightmares are suitable for children of all ages.

After reading this one you may have a slightly different opinion than the good Doctor does.










Tyrannosaurus Rex X Two, by avmurray, chosen to compliment Doctor Howler's Nightmare.

So, thanks avmurray for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with Doctor Howler's Nightmare.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.