Romance Fiction posted November 22, 2015 Chapters:  ...67 68 -69- 70... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni and Jim get closer.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Veintidos, (22) Part Uno

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
Today's Post:

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO




Soni sat on a wooden fence and stared at the bright orange moon rising over the horizon. I hope Isabella and Emanuel are comfortable. What else is going to happen before all this comes to an end? She scanned the area. "I wonder how many cartel members are watching." Her voice grew louder. "I know you're out there." Placing her hand on her gun, she turned as she heard the crackle of dry leaves. "Hi."

"What are you doing so far from the house?" Jim leaned against the fence.

"I wanted to see the stars. By the house there's light pollution." Soni swung her legs over the fence so she faced him.

"Light pollution? Aren't you the little scientist?" After a light chuckle, Jim continued, "It's dangerous being out here alone."

Soni patted her gun. "I'm not by myself."

As she tapped it a little harder, a low rumbled growl sounded. Butkus came into view.

"I should've known he wasn't far. How long did it take to train the dogs to act on body commands?" Jim pet the animal's head. "I don't even need to bend down to pet you."

"We start the training from the beginning. Once we earn their trust, everything comes easy." Soni avoided eye contact. "Any idea how long it'll take before things get back to normal?"

He placed his hand on hers. "Sorry." After a pause, he continued, "Until we figure out what the Sinaloa Cartel's after, it'll be a while. As far as I'm concerned the other two cartels can kill each other off."

"While they're killing each other, there'll be innocent victims like those poor young women. I hate to think they'll be sent back to their countries. It's not right."

Jim ran his fingers through his hair. "After dinner, you spoke with Kuruk. Did he have anything interesting to say?"

"Jack's a formidable Chess player, so Grandfather's enjoying himself."

"I meant did he have any insight to the issues here at the ranch? I'm sure you filled him in on everything that has happened since you left the hospital."

"I know what you meant, but I didn't need to fill him in. He already knew everything."

"That's impossible."

"Are you questioning the Lipan Apache Chief Kuruk Four-Bear's abilities?" Soni's eyes twinkled.

"The one thing I've learned since you rescued me from Big Grizzly is not to question anything when it comes to Kuruk's power."

"Oh look!" She pointed to the western sky. "A shooting star."

"I'm betting Kuruk sent that because he heard what I said about his power."

"For a city slicker, you catch on pretty fast." Soni's grin lit up her face.

"Being from New York City and being stupid are not synonymous."

"Are you sure?" She paused for effect. "I guess being a Marine taught you a few things." Her arm went over his shoulder as she pointed. "Another shooting star."

Their eyes met. As their gaze continued, they moved slowly toward each other until their lips met.

The glancing high beam of headlights interrupted the couple's kiss as the vehicle preceded to the ranch house.



Whiskers took her last breath Monday evening. She's buried beside our Oleanders. She loved them, they were good cover for a cat.

I got three stars on my last post for adding these notes for my friends and reviewers. I will take three stars again, but many of you have helped me through this time. I'm sorry there are reviewers out there that are so petty.



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for artwork of a couple kissing under a harvest moon. Jay, is this enough for now? LOL I appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I do NOT redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. Please remember this is part of a much longer chapter.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.