Fantasy Fiction posted November 2, 2015 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Into the Night

A chapter in the book The Piper

The Piper

by w.j.debi


What is it about sunset that frightens so many people? Piper broke free from the crowd and stumbled forward to lean against a granite column of the city's main gates so he could catch his breath. He glanced back at the teeming mass of people in the market square. Crossing the distance from the cathedral to the city's main entrance normally took him less than five minutes at a casual walk. This evening it took over an hour. Weaving his way through the surging, tangled mob entering the city had felt like swimming upstream against the rapids. His feet were sore from being stepped on, and he was sure he had sustained several bruises on his arms. Is it like this every evening?

In a way, he was grateful for the extra physical effort it had taken. The world wasn't right. For him, it might never be right again. Oh, buck up. I'm not a kid anymore; I'm nearly fifteen. A deep sigh escaped his lips and he let his shoulders sag. Unconsciously, he fingered the flute that hung at his side, brushing the tips of his fingers across it with fondness, checking by feel that it had not been harmed in the tussle to get through the crowded streets. Constant jostling for position to achieve forward movement had required him to hold the flute close and protect it with both hands.

Another group hurried inside the gates, pushing into the crowd. A little girl of about five tripped and fell to her hands and knees. "Mama! Papa!" she cried out, but no one turned in her direction, her small voice lost in the chaos. She started to wail. Piper went to help her up.

The child glanced up at him for a moment, her lips quivering and her eyes full of tears. "Thank you," she squeaked, then wiped at the tears on her face and ran to catch the group ahead of her. Piper watched to make sure she was reunited with her family. Are you merely afraid of being left behind or have the adults instilled other fear into you? Piper shook his head and then started toward the open gates.

"Aren't you going the wrong direction?" a gruff voice asked.

Piper looked over at the city guard who stood no more than six feet away. The man was of average height, with a brawny build. The hilt of his sword looked smooth with wear, but his uniform was well taken care of, perhaps even new. A scar cut through one eyebrow. The face was strong and looked to be that of a man in his late twenties or early thirties, but a sprinkling of gray hairs made Piper wonder at the guard's true age. "Are you talking to me, sir?"

"Do you see anyone else?"

"I see a whole lot of people." Piper swept a hand toward the public square.

The guard smirked. "Yeah, I suppose you're right. Still, I hope you don't intend to go trekking off somewhere right now. We will be closing the gates soon and you will find yourself on the wrong side. There are some dangerous things out there."

"I know. Wolf packs and marauding thieves appear magically as the last ray of dusk disappears."

"Or worse." The guard raised his eyebrows in a warning manner.

Piper resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "Of course, you're right, sir. There are many dangers in the darkness." Superstition. I have no time for such foolishness.

The guard shifted a bit closer. "You're one of the musicians from the castle, aren't you?"

Piper nodded poliltely. "Yes, sir."

"Were you close to the old musician they buried today?"

"He was my grandfather." Piper felt his throat tighten at the words and swallowed to keep control of his emotions.

The guard looked sullen, pausing a moment before he spoke again. "I am sorry for your loss, lad. I heard your grandfather play a few times. He was a talented man. He will be missed."

"Thank you." Piper turned to start down the road that was now dotted with only a few late stragglers scurrying for the safety of the city.

"You want me to wait by the gate for your return? I can let you in the small access gate under the guard tower if you don't make it back before the main gate closes. We usually only open it for dignitaries, but we can make exceptions."

Piper stopped in his tracks and turned to look at the guard. Why is he offering this favor to an under-aged flute player? "Thank you, sir, but I'll be alright. I have somewhere to go tonight. I'll be back in the morning."

"Very well, if you're certain."

Piper nodded his acknowledgement. Without another word, he headed into the encroaching gloom, surprised by the momentary hesitation in his steps at the words that trailed after him.

"You be careful, young man."

A scowl creased Piper's brow and he quickened his pace. I've never feared the darkness and I'm certainly not going to start now. In fact, the darkness beckoned like a warm cloak, one he would wrap around himself tonight and use to his advantage.


~~~



Recognized


Free stock photo. Artist = StuartMiles
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. w.j.debi All rights reserved.
w.j.debi has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.