Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 28, 2015 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Jonathan meets Jack Daniels for the first time

A chapter in the book Drinking Problem -- The Book

Funeral Pyre

by Brett Matthew West

VELMA DUNGSTON STEERED HER SNOW WHITE MERCEDES IN THE DIRECTION OF HOME, WHERE SHE PROMISED HER HUSBAND SHE WOULD BE THREE HOURS EARLIER. The taste of wine still sweet on her lips. This wasn't the first time Velma Dungston had been in a place she never should have been.

For almost fifteen years she had been married to Professor Sea Horse. However, this was not the first time she had stopped and smelled the flowers in another garden.

Many doctors, and even some Interns, had shared her bounty. And, in the love department, she had plenty of it to spread around. Just like it was peanut butter on a hot biscuit. Being a Lead Nurse had its fringe benefits that came with the territory.

And, why shouldn't she play around? She often asked herself. After all, since they were married, he had. Of course, he had no concept she was fully aware of his many trysts. And, in her mind, she was getting even for all the low down things he did to her.

If he knew about her trifling affairs he never said a mumbling word. Jonathan would be gone in another three or four years, and she would be hot on his heels. Her son was the only glue that kept her hanging on to a relationship that emotionally died a long time ago.

She could always down a Corona, or something stronger, for what ailed her. That would allow her to tolerate her son's sperm donor that much longer. Then, he would be free to entertain all the students his little heart desired on his excursions to examine his sea horses. To date, there were at least six of them over the years she knew about.

Both of them seemed contented in their endeavors, and would not place Jonathan into a position of having to chose one over the other. That was not fair to him. So, the charade that was their marriage, would continue until he departed for aviation school, or the Army, whichever came first.

What his parents did not realize was that Jonathan knew all about their extracurricular activities. Although he never asked them about the situation, and did not know how to approach either one of them about the subject, he was still tremendously bothered by it.

He could not comprehend how they could be so open in their bonds of matrimony. And, knew if he ever tied the knot, no way would the strings come undone. He would be true, and devoted to his significant other, showing his parents how the ties that bind are supposed to work.

Velma Dungston understood her husband would say nothing to her about her tardiness when she arrived. That was just the way their Modern Day romance worked. It would simply be business as usual at the Dungston house. And, that business included Mark Jenner's funeral the next morning at Riverton Crest Cemetery.

There was even some lingering doubt as to whether or not the good Professor was Jonathan's biological father. But, that was one DNA test the results of which may never be known. He could just as easily be Doctor Phillip Rafferty's son.

However, Velma Dungston pushed that probability out of her mind. He had been her true love. But, that was a long time ago. So, for the sake of keeping her family together, for the time being, she could not even consider the possibility of bringing that matter out into the light of day.

Doctor Rafferty is who Velma Dungston had spent the evening with in one of Seattle's swankiest resorts. Their sweet home away from home. Once again, he had forsaken the fact he had a wife, and grown children, of his own, to be with her.

Theirs was a weekly occurrence that had lasted a long time. When you are the President of the hospital board you receive certain perks.

The next morning found Jonathan icily staring at the outfit laying on his bed. It was black. Solid and foreboding. Midnight black. The way Jonathan felt. And, it chilled him to the bone. He had never been to a funeral before. This was going to be a bad one to start with.

But, for Kyle's sake he had to be strong, and get him through his unsufferable grief. Especially since the Jenners insisted he ride in the hearse to the gravesite. Jonathan was also supposed to be one of the pallbearers.

Dorothy Blevins would be in that car. In a moment of weakness, since Mark died, she tearfully broke down and told the Jenners she was pregnant with Mark Junior. Although, not much of a consolation at the time, they had welcomed her with open arms.

As far as they were concerned, whether he was born yet or not, there was no way Mark's son was not going to attend his father's funeral, and not be a member of their family doing so.

Jonathan had a different opinion. Around school it was rumored that Dorothy Blevins was not even pregnant. Or, if she was, she was trying to pin the baby on an unsuspecting Mark Jenner. The more accurate truth was believed to be she had no idea who the baby's father was, because if you were a male, Dorothy Blevins could not keep her legs closed.

The grey, overcast skies were full of rain. But, the deluge had not started yet. A sea of multi-colored umbrellas adorned the quaint graveyard. The attendees were gathered around the casket, standing huddled, or sitting on the metal chairs provided for the occasion.

Aunts, uncles, grandparents and friends lined the outer rows allowing the Jenners to be seated in the front row next to the coffin that contained Mark's remains. All vital organs that could be salvaged from his body had been reaped, and already donated to the cause. Mark had wanted it that way.

Tears flowed freely among the attendees as the grey-haired, bi-focal-wearing Reverend McAllister talked about Mark, and his short life. Then, Thomas Jenner spoke briefly about how wonderful a son Mark had always been.

His brother, Tone, who had come back to Seattle from his renegade lifestyle in Montana, and Kyle hugged. Kyle's emotions were rampantly displayed.

After the ceremonies were completed the attendees slowly, and quietly, offered condolences to the Jenners and departed. Thomas and Penelope Jenner remained until Mark's casket was lowered into the ground, then found their way back to the hearse that had delivered them to their nightmare.

Tone remained graveside until the dirt was being dropped on Mark's casket to bury it. Then, he left. He had taken all he could of the happenings.

Kyle stayed until Mark's casket was completely covered with dirt, and the job of burying his remains was finished. He grabbed a shovel, and Jonathan watched him toss the last spade full of dirt on Mark's casket.

He walked over and placed a comforting arm around his friend's shoulders. Kyle could not be consoled. Jonathan saw a strange look in Kyle's eyes, and it worried him. He did not like the far away glance he saw one bit.

"Come on, Kyle, I'll walk you back to the car," he softly told him.

"No, Jonathan," Kyle responded strongly, saying, "just leave me alone!"

Kyle dashed away from the gravesite. Jonathan's first instinct was to go after him. He definitely did not like seeing Kyle's suffering.

Before he could move, Thomas Jenner called him, telling him, "Give Kyle some space, Jonathan. He'll be okay."

Jonathan looked back at Thomas Jenner standing beside the hearse, then rapidly turned his head in time to see Kyle disappear around the corner of the graveyard caretaker's building.

An uneasy feeling came over him, and something told him to pursue Kyle.

But, he did not. Instead, he slowly made his way back to the hearse, and climbed inside it. He noticed a partially consumed bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey laying on the seat Tone had occupied on the way to the gravesite from the church.

Jonathan saw nobody eyeing what he held in his hand. Slowly, he untwisted the cap off the bottle. He put the bottle to his mouth and drank a big swallow. It burned going down. However, it was also his first taste of whiskey.

He quickly took a second, and then a third, gulp. He twisted the cap back on the bottle. Then, placed it back on Tone's seat, where he had found it.

Suddenly, he felt no emotional pain from the tragedy of the day. That simple act started a brand new love affair.

Jonathan Dungston had made a new friend.

One that would never let him down...again.


@October 22, 2015 by Brett Matthew West
All Rights Reserved
No portion of this story, or its storyline, may be reproduced in any manner without the written approval of the copyright holder




Recognized


******************************************************************************
******************************************************************************


Many FanStorians have taken a vested interest in this tale. And, you are certainly not afraid to tell me exactly what you think about it as the story continues to be told.

It is my desire in writing Drinking Problem that you, the reader, find it to be a good story.

Because, as Dean Koontz says in his classic novel known as "Watchers"

"A story can have multiple intricately woven levels of themes and symbols, but it fails if it is not first a wonderful tale."

So, I invite you to enjoy, and follow along, as I continue to construct what I believe is my most creative writing to date.

********************************************************************************
********************************************************************************


Wild Blue Yonder, Forever Friends, Fist City, Teen Scene - Part One, and Teen Scene - Conclusion, the sequenced other stories leading up to this one, are all available in my portfolio.

Bolding the first sentence purposely done for creative enhancement.










Stik551's "The Elderly Rest" photograph was selected to compliment my story.

Thank you Stik551 for allowing me to use your picture. It goes so nicely with my little tale.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.