Romance Fiction posted September 13, 2015 Chapters:  ...61 61 -61- 62... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New problems for Soni and Jim.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Veinte, (20) Part Dos

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Tatiana opened her mouth to speak, but Soni interrupted, "Why are you keeping the contents of that box such a secret? I have a right to know." Soni glared at Jim.

"Actually, you don't have a right to know, but your grandfather does. It was given to him." Jim turned to leave. "I'll tell him right now."

Soni jumped from her bed and ran after Jim.

"Oh my!" Tatiana set her coffee and burrito on the table and followed.

In the hallway, Soni grabbed Jim's arm and faced him. They stared into each other's eyes and were silent, but each struggled to swallow.

Tatiana stood in the distance and smiled.


TODAY'S POST:

A nurse exited Kuruk's room and nearly bumped into Jim and Soni. "Excuse me. Is there a problem?"

"Uh, no," Soni and Jim said in unison.

"I need to share something with Chief Four-Bear." Jim walked around her.

"I need to hear what he says." Soni followed Jim.

Tatiana trailed behind.

"A person can't even eat breakfast in peace. First the nurse, and now you three." Kuruk took a bite of scrambled eggs. "It's not nearly as good as your cooking." He winked at Tatiana.

"I'll fix your favorite breakfast as soon as you're home."

"Thank you. Why are you here?" He took a bite of slightly buttered toast and scrunched up his mouth. "Needs more butter and some jam. Your homemade biscuits are perfect."

Tatiana smiled.

"Jim's going to share the mystery of what's in the box." Soni sat with her arms crossed.

Kuruk chuckled. "You'd better hurry before the suspense drives my granddaughter crazy."

"The box held," Jim used his hands and pretended a drum roll, "Brownies."

"What?" the three asked together.

"If that's all, why'd you send them away?" asked Soni.

"I don't trust Sanchez. They're being tested. I want to make sure they weren't poisoned."

"That's a good idea. We were accused of having peyote during our Bountiful Harvest Celebration. What better way to prove it than to plant it on us?" Kuruk set his jaw.

"I hadn't thought of that." Jim took his cell phone out and glanced at it. "I'm waiting for the results. I was expecting something like arsenic, but you've introduced a new possibility." He put the phone away. "Nothing, yet." He paused. "They may be just brownies. I'm sure he knows we suspect him. Maybe they're a peace offering, hoping to divert suspicion."

Soni's doctor stood in the doorway. "When you weren't in your room, I figured I'd find you here."

"Are you ready to release me?"

"I need to do an examination. If everything's good, I'll sign the papers, and you'll be home in time for lunch."

Soni followed the doctor, but said over her shoulder, "You two might as well visit with Grandfather. It shouldn't take long."

"I'm coming with you. Sanchez said he'd return today." Jim followed but stood outside the door.

The examination didn't take long. After Jim had private words with Jackson, Soni kissed Grandfather good bye and promised to return later that evening. Jim, Soni, and Tatiana headed home.

After driving about forty miles, Jim glanced at Soni and asked, "What's going on? You've been silent for almost thirty minutes?"

"I'm worried about Grandfather. He's never been in a hospital. He hates TV, and there's nothing for him to do."

"One time Alex mentioned Kuruk likes to play Chess. Jack brought his set. I'm sure he'll engage Kuruk in a friendly rivalry."

Soni pointed out the windshield. "What's up ahead?"

Tatiana leaned forward between the seats. "It looks like an overturned semi. It's probably an accident, but I don't see any other cars. I hope everybody's all right."

"Maybe the driver was going too fast, fell asleep, and lost control." Soni released a deep breath.

Jim stopped the SUV about half a mile away. "We'd better see if we can help." He took out his cell phone and tapped a button. "Hey, there's a semi on its side on I35 heading North, about mile marker seventy-four. My gut says something isn't kosher. Maybe somebody should check it out." He listened a moment. "Yeah, I'm stopping." His eyes met Soni's. "I'm sure you have ammunition if we need it." After Soni nodded, Jim returned to his call. "Yes. There are three of us. Two are good shots."

"Three," interrupted Tatiana.

"I should've known better," whispered Jim as he grinned. "Make that three. I'll keep you posted."

Tatiana reached behind the seat and passed a Nosler M48 to Soni.

"Holy Cow! That's some rifle." Jim's eyes widened.

"Only the best." Soni placed the rifle between her and the door. "I have an extra knife back there too."
ed Soni a sheathed bowie knife. She placed it inside her right boot. Next, Tatiana handed Jim A Sauer 202 Avantgarde Grande.

Jim eyed the barrel. "This is one good rifle."

"It was Daddy's favorite."

"I'll take good care of it." Jim patted the stock. He turned and glanced at Tatiana. "I would've pictured you with a Browning T-Bolt." He wiped his mouth. "I have a really bad feeling. Ready for whatever's ahead?" After the ladies nodded, Jim put the SUV in drive and inched forward.






Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a turned over semi. I've have revealed part of the boxes contents, but you will have to wait for test results. They can take a while. I appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I do NOT redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. Please remember this is part of a much longer chapter.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.