Romance Fiction posted August 30, 2015 Chapters:  ...57 58 -59- 60... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jim discusses a plan.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Diecinueve, (19) Part Cuatro

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After making sure the IV was working properly, the doctor left, with the nurse following. She stopped and said, "I'll be back in a little while to check on everything." She picked up a box from a table. "While we were starting the IV, a young man stopped by and left this. He thought you might like some treats while you're here."


As she handed it to Kuruk, Jim intercepted it. "I'll take that." He went into the hall to check the contents.

TODAY'S POST:


Soni sat beside her grandfather's bed but watched Jim from the hospital window. What did Miguel put in the box? She turned slowly and stretched her neck.

"Sonsee-array, Jim will tell us when he's ready." Kuruk touched his granddaughter's hand.

"Maybe you're right, but he's on the phone now. Who do you think he's talking to, and about what?"

"How would I know?"

"You know everything." Soni smiled at Kuruk.

"My child, I know nothing. Only what Naiyenesgani tells me."

Soni's lips pouted. "Now, he's pacing and talking."

"You could go into the hall and ask." Kuruk winked at her.

"No!" Soni said a little too loudly. "He'd think I'm interested in what he does."

"Aren't you?"

"Not in the least. Unless it deals with you and what's in that box." Soni blew out a breath of air. "I wish Miguel was bringing you nothing more than a box of cookies, but we both know that can't be right."

"I never trusted Miguel."

"And the verdict's still out on Jim." Soni tightly pressed her lips together.

"I understand your skepticism, but I'm pretty sure he's one of the good guys." A twinkle showed in Kuruk's eyes.

"I hope you're right, Grandfather." Soni sat straight in the chair, faced Kuruk, and whispered, "He's coming."

"Who's coming," answered Jim.

"I don't know. Grandfather, do you expect a visitor?"

Jim raised his eyebrows. "I think your concussion's affecting your thinking. Maybe you need to go back to your room." He glanced at his watch. "It is very late."

"Not before you tell me what was in that box." Soni crossed her arms at her chest.

Jim edged toward the door. "I'll get Tatiana and we'll call Alex and Garrison. I only want to repeat this once."

*****
When Jim returned with Tatiana, she called Alex and put him on speaker. Jim called Garrison and did the same. Before Jim could begin, a gentleman dressed in a suit walked into the room. Without saying anything, Jim nodded and handed him the box.

"That's just wrong giving Grandfather's box away without letting him see what's in it." Soni's shoulders slumped.

Jim studied Soni before he spoke, "You're just dying to know what's in that box, aren't you?"

"Not really." Soni gave an exaggerated yawn and raised her hands over her head. "I guess I'm more tired than I thought. Maybe I need to return to my room." She stood.

"I was afraid you'd overdo it. I'll take you back." Tatiana stood beside Soni.

"Nobody's going anywhere until we hear what Jim has to say," teased Kuruk. "Granddaughter, you've sat here for thirty minutes worried about that box." He nodded toward Jim. "Please continue. You're done being interrupted"

"I called around to a few people." Jim paused as a tall, young man entered the room.

The man addressed Jim, "Where do you want me posted?"

"I was just explaining the situation. I'm glad you're here." Jim paused and gathered his thoughts. "This is Jackson White."

After the introductions, Jackson said, "I'm glad to meet you. If you want, you can call me Jack."

"Are you planning on being here for a while?" Soni's eyes met his.

"I was about to get to that," interrupted Jim. "I wasn't happy with how easily Sanchez had access to Kuruk. I feel there needs to be more security, so I called in a few favors."

Soni stood. "Thank you for your concern, but we can take care of ourselves. I have plenty of cowboys at my disposal."

Kuruk sat up in bed. "I think Jim has a point. Please continue."

"I can't be in two rooms at once. Soni should be released in the morning, but you'll probably stay another few days." Jim glanced at Kuruk. "Do you think I should stay with you or with Soni?"

"If you feel you need to stay with somebody, you'd better stay with Grandfather. I'll stay by myself. Jackson, I'm sorry you came all this way for nothing." Soni walked toward the door.

"Soni, get your butt back here," boomed Alex's voice through the phone.

"You're on the phone. How'd you know I was leaving?" asked Soni.

"I know you and when you get like that, you're very predictable. Jim has a good point. I, for one, am glad he's thinking ahead."

"So am I," added Grayson through the phone.

"I guess I'm outnumbered." Soni released a deep breath. "Come on, Jackson. You're with me."

"Sonsee-array, wait a minute," ordered Kuruk. After Soni paused, Kuruk continued, "Jackson will stay with me. Jim, stay with Soni. You're used to her stubbornness."

Soni started to object, but Kuruk's glare met hers. She remained quiet and sat.
Tatiana, Jim, and Jackson looked at the floor.

A long silence continued before Tatiana said good bye to Alex and hung up the phone. "Soni, it's late. We'd better return to your room." She headed toward the door. Soni followed.

Jim spoke with Garrison, hung up, and said good night to Kuruk and Jackson before he followed the ladies.

"Hey, what was in the box?" Kuruk called out.



Recognized


Thank you Google an image of a Native American young lady. In my mind, Soni looks very similar. I appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I do NOT redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. Please remember this is part of a much longer chapter.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.