Humor Non-Fiction posted August 30, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Mistaken Identity ...

Mr. MacSween

by Bicpen


Whilst I was at college, many moons ago, learning the introduction to the skills of nursing, I had a placement in the local Hospital. I looked forward to the event as practical experience was more my forte than books. Whilst under the supervision of more experienced nurses my friend and I were curious as to which ward we had been assigned. It turned out we had the dementia ward. We were advised to sit amongst the patients and to talk with them, even if we did not receive too much communication.

We tried to be as helpful as possible. Mainly our duties consisted of taking patients on toilet trips and serving tea to the old and infirm. Many of these patients were beyond healing. Though we tried to keep as much dignity as possible intact for them it is rather hard when you have an elderly gentleman urinating in the plant pot at medicine time.

As you can imagine the patients were in varying stages of dementia and conversation was a bit like pulling teeth from a crocodile. However, the highlight of the ward visitation came when the Hospital Chaplain visited the ward. This was done once maybe twice a week and always whilst I was on duty. We would gather the patients for Bible reading and the saying of prayers, after which there would be the congenial round of handshaking and little quips by the Chaplain to each patient present. This continued for several weeks and soon I left the placement to continue my studies at the college.

On a separate occasion, visiting the same hospital, as I was leaving through the main door who should be walking into the hospital in the opposite direction but the Chaplain. He was a small man with courteous eyes and silvery grey hair that seemed to burst from its seams. He was dressed in his usual black suit sporting his white clerical collar which gave him a distinctive appearance. He spoke in a sombre tone, but was very jolly and bright in conversation.

As we were about to pass one another I stopped and introduced myself to the Chaplain. I was explaining how I had been in the dementia ward and enjoyed his Bible lessons and prayers, very much so. He turned and gave a serious look at me and with a doting smile replied, "Ah yes! But you`re all right now!"




Embarrassing But True contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bicpen All rights reserved.
Bicpen has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.