Fantasy Fiction posted August 18, 2015 Chapters:  ...50 51 -52- 53 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Ess awakes

A chapter in the book Finding Daisy

Awakenings

by snodlander



Background
Ess has rescued Daisy and returned her to her father. Now comes the aftermath
Ess stretched, feeling her legs slide against crisp covers. She reached sideways, arms instinctively wrapping around a body that wasn't there. She pulled a pillow down instead. How quickly that had happened, expecting Shades to be there, her first action to snuggle against --

Shades! She snapped open her eyes. Shades. He was in trouble. What was it? Dust? She had to --

"It's alive!"

She rolled over. Shades sat in a chair brought in from the kitchen, grinning. One arm was encased in plaster.

"I thought you were going to sleep forever," he said, setting down a mug that smelled suspiciously of coffee.

"Don't joke about it. You're awake."

"Yeah. A couple of hours now. Awake during the day. So this is what it feels like. Maybe I should see if that job with Davenport is still open."

"Yeah, right. What time is it?"

"About ten."

Ess tried to run her fingers through her hair, but the tangles were too tight. "Ten?" She yawned. "No wonder I'm so tired. How much sleep have I had? Four hours?"

"Try fifty-four."

"What?" She sat bolt upright. "I've slept for two days?"

"We both have, apparently." He rose from the chair, leant over and kissed her lightly on the forehead. Then he turned to the door, opened it and said, "She's awake."

"Ess!"

Oz came bounding into view. Ess pulled her neckline closed with one hand, then looked down. She was wearing her best pyjamas, the ones she saved for special occasions. She looked up again. Oz held up his hands.

"I closed my eyes while I undressed you. And when I rubbed you down in the shower."

"What?"

"Well, I had to get that dust off you." He tried to look innocent in the way the only truly guilty can, then he grinned. "Relax, your witch friend sorted you out while I did the same for Shades. And I can see why you like him so much." He winked. "And they say it doesn't matter."

"Friend?"

"Angie? I have to say, that was a surprise. Still, friction causes heat I suppose."

"Oz, talk sense. What's going on? What's been happening?"

"You want the skinny?" Oz sat on the edge of the bed. "Well, let's see. Me and your friends have spent the last forty-eight hours looking after you. I've practically lived here, because I love you more than the others, but Ted and Angie have done their share too. Ted and Angie. It has a sort of ring to it, doesn't it?"

"Don't be stupid. She hates him."

"Ah, but lust is blind. What else? I've phoned Martin. I was going to meet him as soon as Angie relieved me. Other than that, it's been very quiet. No visits from the filth, no threatening messages from Whitmarsh. All suspiciously quiet on that front."

"Martin. Yes, we've got to tell him. I'll get ready." She was suddenly aware of the pressure on her bladder and the taste of two days' sleep in her mouth. She rose and made her way towards the bathroom. At the door she paused and turned.

"Angie? And Ted? Really?"

--

Martin opened the door and let them in. He looked like hell.

"You've found her." How could a voice be full of such hope and such dread at the same time?

"She's safe."

Martin collapsed into a chair and covered his face with his hands.

"I'll go find a kettle to put on," said Oz.

Ess looked around the studio. Nothing much had changed since they were last there. Had he done any work? She found a stool and pulled it over to Martin's chair.

"Where is she?" he asked, his voice muffled by his hands and tears.

"She's gone back home to her family."

He nodded. "Did she say when she'd be back?"

"No. To be honest, she didn't say much of anything. She's been through a lot. I think she just needs some time."

"Time. Ha!" Martin sat up and dragged a sleeve across his face. "You know what they say about them and time. A hundred years is like a second and all that." He sniffed and squared his shoulders. "She's not coming back, is she." He didn't voice it as a question.

"I don't know. Maybe not. She had a really rough time."

"Is she okay? I mean, was she hurt?"

"No. At least, not physically."

"What happened?"

Ess saw the tension in his jaw, the knuckles whiten on his fists.

"She... she fell in with a bad lot. They mistreated her. She doesn't want to be around people right now. Not even people who want to help her."

"Who? Who did this to her?"

"It doesn't matter. She's safe now."

Martin jumped out of his seat. "No, you tell me! I'm paying you, so you tell me. Who?" He loomed over Ess, fists clenched, eyes wild.

"And then what? You know Daisy. Do you think if you beat someone into a pulp that would win her back? Besides, how's she going to find you if you're in prison?"

"I don't care!" he screamed. "Who was it?"

"Oi!"

They both turned. Oz slammed a fistful of coffee mugs onto a table and strode forward.

"Do you want me to give you a good slapping?" he thundered.

"Oz, no!" But Ess was too late.

"Come on then!" Martin leapt forward, fists swinging. Oz stood his ground, arms up to protect his face as Martin slammed punch after punch into Oz's ample midriff.

"Martin!" Ess leapt up but Oz caught her eye and shook his head. After a few seconds the screams devolved into sobs and the power left the punches. Oz wrapped huge arms around the young man and pinned his arms to his side, but there was a tenderness to the action.

"I'm going to kill him,"" sobbed Martin.

"Yes, I know," said Oz, his voice surprisingly soft, hugging the distraught man close. "But first you and me are going out and getting pissed out of our heads. There won't be a pub for miles we won't be thrown out of. We'll call them all bitches and lie to each other that we're better off without them. Then tomorrow you'll spend the entire day in bed crying it all out. And the day after tomorrow? Who knows? We're not planning that far ahead. Come on. The first round is on me." He released him from his bear hug and turned him towards the door.

"Oz?"

Oz waved Ess away. "Man stuff. We'll be fine. Besides, we might need someone sober to put up bail."

The two left, Martin looking as though he were sleepwalking. Ess looked around the studio. Daisy looked back at her, clothed, naked, laughing, sultry but always, always beautiful. More than that. Enchanting. Dear Mother, was there enough booze in London to help the poor boy get over her?

She left, pulling the door locked on the images.

--

Shades sat at the kitchen table, nursing another mug of coffee, when Ess returned. He raised the mug. "I've been asleep for two days. I need the jag to get me awake."

She smiled. "There's no need to be so defensive about it, just because you know I hate the stuff. You'll just have to do without my kisses till the smell has gone."

Shades pulled a face. "Kissing's for girls. I know much more fun things we can get up to."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but before we do, page seven."

"What?"

Shades nodded at the Evening Standard folded on the table. Ess set her shoulder bag down on the table, picked up the paper and turned to page seven. Near the bottom of the page a couple of column inches were dedicated to the story of a man found unconscious outside London Zoo and rushed to Guy's. His name jumped out at her.

"Whitmarsh?" She picked up her bag again.

Shades sighed. "Or we could go on a wild goose chase. That's much more fun."

As they stepped out into the street the door of a familiar black car opened and Ted climbed out.

"I told you you didn't need to come round," said Shades. "I'm fine. Appreciate it, though. You know, for everything."

"Yeah, well, you know." Ted looked uncomfortable.

"What?"

"Well, the thing is, I got orders. The boss left instructions. He wants to see you as soon as you're both awake."

"And you've come mob-handed again?"

"Not this time. Anyway, he knows. You know, all the airy fairy stuff. I don't think it's a bad thing." Ted shrugged. "But I'm asking. If you want, I'll go back and tell him I couldn't find you. Your call."

Shades turned to Ess. She squeezed his arm. "You go. Whitmarsh is finished. I just want to make sure he knows, that's all. He's in hospital. How dangerous can it get? Go."

"Thanks, love." He bent down and kissed her.

"Eew! Coffee. Get out of here. And go suck some mints." She pushed him towards Ted, turned, and strode towards the Tube station.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. snodlander All rights reserved.
snodlander has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.