General Fiction posted July 29, 2015 Chapters:  ...81 82 -83- 84 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Laura meets Karen and Jenny for the first time.

A chapter in the book Let's Talk Dirty!

Tears Turn To Laughter

by alexisleech


When I finished writing 'Let's talk Dirty!' I thought that would be the end of it and some wonderful scriptwriter would collaborate with me should somebody think it worthy of turning into a film. Well, the good news is, I have a film producer interested. The bad news is, they want me to write the screenplay myself. After a week of studying screenwriting formats, I'm getting there, but I thought I would let you see the first draft. Completely different to writing prose, scriptwriting is all about scene setting, action, and dialogue. No thoughts, no history, just exactly what you would see if you were sitting in a cinema. After introducing Laura in the last scene, the following opening scene explains Karen and Jenny's background, and why they ended up in such a difficult financial situation. The dialogue is usually in a different position towards the centre of the page - but the editor here on FS won't play ball with the scriptwriting template I'm using!

 

INT. PARTY AT SANDRA AND GORDON'S HOUSE - EVE.

SUBTITLE FADES IN: GLASGOW JUNE 2014

KAREN (a 54 year-old, overweight blond) and JENNY (a slim 55 year-old redhead) are sitting on the sofa in the living room; other people at the party are standing in groups around the room. They notice LAURA sitting by herself in the armchair in the corner. She's staring into her glass and making no attempt to talk to anyone.

KAREN

Who's the miserable looking woman sitting over there? I haven't seen her at one of Sandra and Gordon's parties before.

JENNY takes a slug from her glass of red wine before answering

JENNY

Sandra was telling me about her earlier. Apparently, she's a widow who moved into the top floor with her son last year after she lost her husband. Her son told Sandra that she suffers from Post-traumatic stress syndrome, so she rarely goes out.

KAREN

Christ, I know how she feels. Since Mark walked out, I hardly leave the house either. If it wasn't for you, I probably wouldn't talk to anyone apart from the cashier at the supermarket, and that's only twice a month now I'm impoverished.

JENNY

Hardly! At least you've got both your kids still at home to help out with the bills. Since my two moved out, I'm penniless five seconds after pay day!

KAREN

No sign of a better job then?

JENNY

I wish! Apparently women in their mid-fifties aren't in demand as dental receptionists these days. Looks like my job at the Bedford is the best I can get for now. At least I get my breakfast there. I know I want to stay slim, but I never thought it would be because I can't afford to eat. Seriously, Karen. When I think of what I've had in the past, desperate is the only word I can think of now.

KAREN

(Nods her head in agreement)

Well, I know I eat a lot, otherwise I wouldn't be the size I am now, but I'm living off crap, and it ain't slimming crap, I can assure you. When Mark stops paying his guilt money at the end of the year, it's going to be even worse. Even with the money the kids contribute, I still have to juggle like crazy just so I can put a decent meal down in front of them when they get home from work every night. I live off bread and cereal during the day.

JENNY

(Raising her eyebrow)

And the odd brandy coffee!

KAREN

(Looks defensive)

Well, what else have I got to cheer me up? A little slug of brandy in my coffee is all the compensation I get for being a dedicated wife and mother for nearly thirty years. Without it, I'd have nothing to look forward to.

LAURA gets up from the armchair and hesitantly walks towards them.

LAURA

Excuse me, but would you mind if I join you?

Karen and Jenny smile back at her and gesture to the space between them.

JENNY

You live upstairs don't you? Sandra mentioned it earlier. I'm Jenny and this is Karen...What's your name?

LAURA

Laura... Laura Johnstone. I moved here about eighteen months ago. Do you live near here?

KAREN

Not really, but it only takes about ten minutes on the motorway. Jenny lives a bit closer though.

LAURA

Oh...

KAREN

Don't you drive?

LAURA

Yes, I do, but I don't have a car any more.

KAREN and JENNY exchange a sympathetic look.

JENNY

Never mind. It costs a fortune to keep a car on the road these days, and you live somewhere with handy buses and trains. If I didn't need mine to get to work, I wouldn't bother with one either.

LAURA

What do you guys do?

JENNY

I work in a small hotel near the city centre, Karen-

KAREN

(Interrupting)

I don't work. A situation that's hopefully going to change when I get my act together. What about you?

LAURA

I don't work either. My husband and I used to run a hotel, but we lost it when it was sold behind our backs...I haven't worked since then.

Embarrassed silence for a couple of seconds.

JENNY

Well, I don't know about you two, but I could do with another drink. Can I get you anything while I'm up, Laura?

KAREN holds up her near-empty glass. Laura shakes her head.

LAURA

I better not have any more. I only had this one to give me a bit of Dutch courage. I shouldn't really drink alcohol with the medication I'm on.

JENNY takes Karen's glass and stands up to go to the kitchen. After she's gone, KAREN turns to LAURA.

KAREN

Sandra told Jenny that you're a widow. Were you married a long time?

LAURA

(Staring into her glass)

Thirty years...He died just before our wedding anniversary.

Tears start forming in Laura's eyes

KAREN

I'm so sorry. That must be hard. My husband walked out on me a year and a half ago, so I know what it feels like to find yourself alone after years of being with one person.

LAURA

(Wiping a tear away and taking a deep breath)

I'm not alone, exactly. My son lives with me.

KAREN

(Lets out a sarcastic laugh)

Well, my son and daughter live with me too, but except for when it's feeding time at the zoo, I hardly see them.

LAURA

(Smiles wryly)

I know what you mean. My son, Paul, starts playing games on the internet as soon as he gets back from work.Sometimes we don't talk for days. It can get pretty lonely.

KAREN

(Pulling a pen and piece of paper out of her bag)

I'll give you my number. If you want to meet for a coffee sometime, I'd certainly be up for it.

LAURA

Really? ...I'd like that. Apart from getting the shopping in, I very rarely go out. We've moved from Rothesay, so I don't know anyone in Glasgow...apart from a couple of neighbours, that is.

JENNY returns with her and Karen's drink and sits back down.

KAREN

Laura's just been telling me she's moved here from Rothesay, so she doesn't know anyone.

JENNY

Well you do now. Karen and I are always up for a get-together...when I'm not working and we can afford it. You're welcome to come along. The more the merrier.

LAURA looks delighted and puts the piece of paper in her bag.

CUT TO:

INT. ICELAND SUPERMARKET - DAY - TWO MONTHS LATER

LAURA is standing at the checkout with a queue of impatient customers behind her. She counts out fourteen five pound, and three one pound gift vouchers and hands them to the cashier who methodically and loudly starts counting them out again. Laura looks embarrassed, and turns to the woman behind her with three items of shopping.

LAURA

My son gets these for doing well at work.

The woman just stares back at her. When the cashier finishes counting the vouchers, she hands Laura her receipt and LAURA puts the last of her six bulging bags in the trolley. After she leaves the shop, she lifts out the bags, retrieves her pound coin, and struggles to carry the bags to the bus stop twenty metres away. She puts them down with a LOUD CLATTER before she studies the digital screen to see when the next bus is due. A man glances down and notices the top of three bottles of wine sticking out of one of Laura's carrier bags

MAN

Having a party?

LAURA (V.O.)

I suppose I better say yes, or he'll think I'm an alcoholic.

LAURA

(Lies to cover her embarrassment)

Eh, yes. I'm having a get together with a couple of friends.

MAN

(smiling pleasantly)

Enjoy!

LAURA picks up her bags and goes to the end of the queue as quickly as she can.

CUT TO:

INT. THE STAIRWELL IN LAURA'S TENEMENT FLAT - DAY

LAURA stares at the stairs in front of her for a moment, before picking up two of the bags. She takes them to the first landing, before returning for another two. When all six bags are on the first landing, she proceeds to do the same thing until she has all the bags on the third floor landing. She puts her key in the lock.

CUT TO:

INT. LAURA'S KITCHEN - DAY

LAURA unpacks the bags and fills the fridge, freezer and tin cupboard with her shopping. When she finishes, the three bottles of wine and the two twin packets of lamb shanks are still on the work surface.

LAURA

(Talking to herself)

What the hell did I buy four lamb shanks for? Paul'll think I've lost my marbles spending his vouchers on something so extravagant...As for the wine? Christ, he'll probably think I'm getting drunk every night while he's playing his bloody games on the internet!

FLASHBACK TO THE CONVERSATION WITH THE MAN AT THE BUS STOP WHEN LAURA PRETENDED SHE WAS HAVING A GET-TOGETHER WITH FRIENDS

LAURA picks up her mobile phone.





 



Recognized


Character's names and sounds are usually capitalised to make it easier for actors, and alert sound technicians to have the correct sounds in place - i.e. a dog barking etc.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. alexisleech All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
alexisleech has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.